Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Rolloff Filter and Ambient Sound Thresholds --  (Read 14208 times)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Rolloff Filter and Ambient Sound Thresholds --
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 16:42:30 PM »
How so?  :?

There's deep meaning to that sentence, keep thinking.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 16:43:00 PM »
How many players say "i need to lower ambient volume to gain FPS".
lol.
but, whats the purpouse of hearing the enemy breath across the map if in the end u going to die because u lack of skillz? :P
You play the game, not ur sound card.

I'm not calling anyone here noob or skill less, neither I'm that good :D, understood my msg.

edit: also, the gameplay is affected by alot of factors, sound & skill are only 2 of them... go think about.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 16:47:42 PM by Possessed »
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline zoxee

« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 17:22:09 PM »
This is becoming kind of mystic  :D
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 18:22:59 PM »
You're not supposed to "hear the enemy" or any other local radius noise from one side of the map to the other, but anyway...

lol.
but, whats the purpouse of hearing the enemy breath across the map if in the end u going to die because u lack of skillz? :P
You play the game, not ur sound card.

I'm not calling anyone here noob or skill less, neither I'm that good :D, understood my msg.

edit: also, the gameplay is affected by alot of factors, sound & skill are only 2 of them... go think about.

Also:

I'm not comparing the settings Sergio, i know they're not the same.
I did just mention the principle that people with bad PC's shouldn't
be penalized on some settings. Nothing more.

It's a useless argument.The audio counterpart would hardly lower FPS in a minimum requirements-like system that can actually run AA2 (let's say roughly on a Pentium 4 with integrated Intel graphics).

Offline zoxee

« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 19:29:07 PM »
It's a useless argument.The audio counterpart would hardly lower FPS in a minimum requirements-like system that can actually run AA2 (let's say roughly on a Pentium 4 with integrated Intel graphics).

Aren't "Can run" and "Run smooth" 2 different pair of shoes... ?
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 19:47:56 PM »
what Koden said is True, sound can affect game performace (or FPS if u prefer), a "external"/good sound card may off load cpu task as a "external"/good video card does :)
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

Offline zoxee

« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 20:12:13 PM »
Well it requires both. For example if you have a very slow processor and a fast graphics card then it will run much slower than a mid range processor and a mid range graphics card. This is because more often than not one of them is "bottlenecking" the other (this means that one piece of hardware is slowing down another). To avoid this get matching parts.

This applies also to sound cards.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, July 11, 2012, 20:15:27 PM »
You can always reduce the number of channels. Although even with modern computers that don't have sound or graphics cards it's dumb to do. You've gotta be running ancient hardware to need to reduce the sound capabilities. If you hear popping and crackling on older hardware, you probably need to tweak the sound.

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 04:49:25 AM »
BTW, speaking of sound in AA, I think something's dramatically different about how sound renders in 2.5, when compared to 2.8.5. I think 285's sound rendering is much, MUCH better. It almost feels as if my channels (which are @ 128) are not being utilized fully. Like, a person could be RIGHT in front of me, and I can't hear them anymore. That's not very realistic, and it's kinda weird, too. I think they changed the 'rolloff' (not ambient) in subsequent versions of AA (specifically 2.7 and up) and then just locked its ability to be modified, regardless of changing the lines in ini.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 14:09:56 PM »
what Koden said is True, sound can affect game performace (or FPS if u prefer), a "external"/good sound card may off load cpu task as a "external"/good video card does :)

? i didn't say that, lol. The so-called audio "load" is negligible even for most Pentium 4 era systems, so no need to offload it to a discrete card.

Well it requires both. For example if you have a very slow processor and a fast graphics card then it will run much slower than a mid range processor and a mid range graphics card. This is because more often than not one of them is "bottlenecking" the other (this means that one piece of hardware is slowing down another). To avoid this get matching parts.

America's Army relies mostly on the cpu, you can run the game smoothly even with a 2009 onboard integrated video chipset as the AMD Radeon HD4200 (785g chipset) if it's backed by a modern processor (let's say 4 to 5 years old), no matter it being single or dual/quad core (all of this has been said over and over).

- oh, and before you take the time to do any test, look for reviews over Google

http://www.anandtech.com/show/1606/10

Here the game happens to be Unreal 2004.

The difference when using a default 3D software audio setting is of 1.3 fps at 800x600, when switching to hardware 3D audio it turns to 4.6 . At a 800x600 wide resolution (the difference would drop dramatically when switching to higher resolutions). At 1280x800 you would probably be measuring differences around a single frame fashion. I can hardly believe there's someone that plays the game at a rez lower than 1024x768 (unless you play on a very small notebook, but that would be a quite different story, or if you're playing on a really old 14/15 inch display...something from 14-15 years ago).

« Last Edit: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 14:38:21 PM by Koden »

Offline zoxee

« Reply #55 on: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 14:36:43 PM »
Good Point

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 17:48:42 PM »
Okay, I wanna try to ALAudio.dll file (and other OpenAL files) from my 2.8.5 system folder, and then replace the same files in this older 2.5 installation folder. Is this allowed? I ask this because something's wrong with my sound (64bit system/x-fi), and I noticed there were file-size discrepancies with some of these openAL files in the two different AA versions. Will that get me kicked?

Offline Killing

• View Profile
  • AA: Ghost
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 18:46:40 PM »
For example if you have a very slow processor and a fast graphics card then it will run much slower than a mid range processor and a mid range graphics card. This is because more often than not one of them is "bottlenecking" the other (this means that one piece of hardware is slowing down another). To avoid this get matching parts.

This have nothing to do with advantage of players with better soundcards or whatever. You can have one shitty sound but you listen the people at large distance, etc.....It is one exploit and it have nothing to do with fps tweaking.
 Easy conclusion isn't it?

Offline zoxee

« Reply #58 on: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 19:08:50 PM »
This have nothing to do with advantage of players with better soundcards or whatever. You can have one shitty sound but you listen the people at large distance, etc.....It is one exploit and it have nothing to do with fps tweaking.
 Easy conclusion isn't it?

what has this to do with what i said o.O

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 19:49:58 PM »
Okay, I wanna try to ALAudio.dll file (and other OpenAL files) from my 2.8.5 system folder, and then replace the same files in this older 2.5 installation folder. Is this allowed? I ask this because something's wrong with my sound (64bit system/x-fi), and I noticed there were file-size discrepancies with some of these openAL files in the two different AA versions. Will that get me kicked?
ALAudio & OpenAL are different things, OpenAL is a separated drive, u can use the one in AA or in ur System.

also, another ALAudio would not work :)

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager