Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Rolloff Filter and Ambient Sound Thresholds --  (Read 14138 times)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Rolloff Filter and Ambient Sound Thresholds --
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, July 12, 2012, 20:05:31 PM »
BTW, speaking of sound in AA, I think something's dramatically different about how sound renders in 2.5, when compared to 2.8.5. I think 285's sound rendering is much, MUCH better. It almost feels as if my channels (which are @ 128) are not being utilized fully. Like, a person could be RIGHT in front of me, and I can't hear them anymore. That's not very realistic, and it's kinda weird, too. I think they changed the 'rolloff' (not ambient) in subsequent versions of AA (specifically 2.7 and up) and then just locked its ability to be modified, regardless of changing the lines in ini.

That's true, sound zeroes out if it's placed right in front of you. There were updates released both by Epic Games and by the US Army to more recent versions fixing this and a few other problems, but we cannot port down those fixes to 2.5 easily. Although I do remember when detail textures were broken for the longest time on newer versions of AA so haha.

Offline WORLDCHANCELLOR

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: nfy.[BLANK]
« Reply #61 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 06:18:31 AM »
ALAudio & OpenAL are different things, OpenAL is a separated drive, u can use the one in AA or in ur System.

also, another ALAudio would not work :)

Yeah, it didn't work; it made me crash. :-/

I just miss 2.8.5's sound -- much more realistic, and the incessant ringing was heavily diminished, which means less headaches. With playing this version, I've had to purchase a 1000-pack of Ibuprofin, simply because of the constant blaring of the nonstop ringing that you get NO MATTER WHAT you do. 285!!!

Offline [Majestic]tidididi

« Reply #62 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 07:55:57 AM »
With playing this version, I've had to purchase a 1000-pack of Ibuprofin, simply because of the constant blaring of the nonstop ringing that you get NO MATTER WHAT you do. 285!!!

If you use high volume, you will have real problem in future.

Good sound isn't more than 70% of volume. Good sound is ~50% of volume + good settings. Much people thinks they have good sound because of volume.

Offline zoxee

« Reply #63 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »
Good sound is ~50% of volume + good settings

Really ? Very interesting Your Highness, so what are those... +"Magic Settings"+, if we may ask.....?

As you are presumably a "Pro-Gamer" considering your Fragrates and Map Stats,
and lately complained about this beloved game of ours dying because of selfishness,
egoism and hypocracy...

Pleasee be so Merciful to share them "Settings" with the Community, so them Players of
any level will hear equally in front of God and won't get regular headaches anymore ?
« Last Edit: Friday, July 13, 2012, 11:14:27 AM by zoxee »
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline [Majestic]tidididi

« Reply #64 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »
Really ? Very interesting Your Highness, so what are those... +"Magic Settings"+, if we may ask.....?

As you are presumably a "Pro-Gamer" considering your Fragrates and Map Stats,
and lately complained about this beloved game of ours dying because of selfishness,
egoism and hypocracy...

Pleasee be so Merciful to share them "Settings" with the Community, so them Players of
any level can hear equally in front of God ?

Switch the sarcasm off please. Do you really need to use hard talks? Few days ago you send a PM to me. Now you behaving other way. Think about it.

Everybody should know, there is no sense to destroy health because of good sound in game. That's fucking stupid, if someone raise a volume to hear enemy better.

Sorry, I'm laughing now. Put your sound 100%. Have fun. That shows who take this game too seriously.

End.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 13, 2012, 11:24:11 AM by [Majestic]tidididi »

Offline zoxee

« Reply #65 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »
1. As i said in other threads, my sound card is so shitty that i have to play with 100% otherwise i hear shit.
2. I know i sent u PM (which btw you didn't answer) but it was meant to be private, nice.
3. Not accusing you of anything just asking to share.

4. You smartly evaded the question and consequently did not answer it.

Because all we don't need here anymore are people who achieve better results
because they know something they don't wanna share in the end.

You get that ? I thought it's all about skills... but which skills ??
Skills to pawn or skills to tweak ? Good question.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 13, 2012, 11:44:43 AM by zoxee »
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline Killing

• View Profile
  • AA: Ghost
« Reply #66 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 11:45:47 AM »
what has this to do with what i said o.O

In the part where you say "This applies also to sound cards."
 There is no logical reason to you defend the use of that sound "ini tweaks" based on low specs computers.

...But if you defend it because the guys with better sound cards have more advantages you are wrong. The sound software used by this game is to old. 1 cheap sound card can reproduce basically the same sound of 1 ultimate sound card....And the sound advantages commented on this topic are not based on quality.

Offline zoxee

« Reply #67 on: Friday, July 13, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »
In the part where you say "This applies also to sound cards."
 There is no logical reason to you defend the use of that sound "ini tweaks" based on low specs computers.

...But if you defend it because the guys with better sound cards have more advantages you are wrong. The sound software used by this game is to old. 1 cheap sound card can reproduce basically the same sound of 1 ultimate sound card....And the sound advantages commented on this topic are not based on quality.

Ok guys, from now on everyone gets his old shitty soundcard back out from Grandma's coffer,
it will be highly sufficient... omg  :?

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager