Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Community  (Read 25594 times)

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
Re: Community
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, April 27, 2014, 13:56:32 PM »
LOL gif him a cheance .

Offline Alex

« Reply #16 on: Sunday, April 27, 2014, 14:55:46 PM »
i know u are all voluntary but u also make the decisions and take the responsibility.

read the 70 posts i made in the last 3 years on this board, all are suggestions. in the threads i made them, are even more suggestions.
dev-team needs a vision in which direction u want to develop the project and than slowly do it and communicate it. i dont see any visions, ideas etc. from the dev-side nor any direction were heading to. eliz is a great technocrat, but where are the project-leaders with the bigger idea behind?

i dont want to make u look bad, but want to make u move...

and ac is really not the problem, its one of the things u do really great.

I definitely understand what you're saying, but it's a bit more complicated than implementing ideas people have. There is a lot to consider. Our original vision was the bring back AA2 and keep it the same game it was before the official auth went down. However, our #1 goal is the longevity of the game. Sure, we want to add stuff to make new people join, but we also don't want any changes to make current players leave. Major changes is a bit of a gamble that needs to be looked at carefully. What if nobody new joins but all of the current players hate the changes and leave? The game is, after all, on a 2 generation old engine and isn't exactly attractive to younger players. We've talked about many changes that ended up not getting implemented. It's not that we're not thinking about it, just that most of the time the risk outweighs the reward.
It's exactly what you said, the admins make the decisions and take the responsibility, and we sure as hell don't want to be responsible for killing a game with unwanted changes.
I agree that something should be done to kind of freshen up the game though. I think a player opinion thread might be useful to see what ideas everyone has.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 27, 2014, 15:08:41 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline natoorrussia

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, April 27, 2014, 16:05:48 PM »
I think a player opinion thread might be useful to see what ideas everyone has.

Yep, it could be, once you stopped banning people for no reason and deleting posts that are incovenient for you.

Offline Alex

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, April 27, 2014, 22:18:48 PM »
Yep, it could be, once you stopped banning people for no reason and deleting posts that are incovenient for you.

Oh pit. I feel like your huge history of hacking and trolling is a very good reason for a ban. You've been nothing but a troll and hacker ever since you left.
Fun fact of the day, you're the only person I have ever banned from AAO25.com. So your statement means absolutely nothing, but then again, as a troll, I doubt you meant to make sense anyways.
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 27, 2014, 22:20:34 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline natoorrussia

« Reply #19 on: Monday, April 28, 2014, 18:44:52 PM »
Oh pit. I feel like your huge history of hacking and trolling is a very good reason for a ban. You've been nothing but a troll and hacker ever since you left.
Fun fact of the day, you're the only person I have ever banned from AAO25.com. So your statement means absolutely nothing, but then again, as a troll, I doubt you meant to make sense anyways.

As for "huge history": I'm glad you used the phrase "since you left", which acknowledges I had some history before that point.

As for hacking: all of the targets were/are: a) cheaters, b) exploiters, c) abusing server owners (kick/ban-trigger happy, ghosting clans etc.), d) self-proclaimed pros (with uber-sound locating players from other side of the map), etc. Never went after ordinary players (it's quite boring, to be honest).

As for trolling: it's hard not to troll, after you're getting banned for whatever you write (reasonable or not).

You want a reasonable discussion? Let's start with a simple fact: game server owners have too much power that they use to abuse players. When do you realize, that this game has just a handful of really active servers? In such situation, getting a ban on a single server is almost like getting a global ban (especially for 1-map players). I've seen you paying much attention to e.g. teamkillers, which are a minor problem for this game. But I've _never_ seen you paying attention to the admin abuse problem.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 28, 2014, 18:48:47 PM by natoorrussia »

Offline Alex

« Reply #20 on: Monday, April 28, 2014, 18:48:52 PM »
As for "huge history": I'm glad you used the word "since you left", which acknowledges I had some history before it.

As for hacking: all of the targets were/are: a) cheaters, b) exploiters, c) abusing server owners (kick/ban-trigger happy, ghosting clans etc.), d) self-proclaimed pros (with uber-sound locating ordinaly players from other side of the map), etc. Never went after ordinary players (it's quite boring, to be honest).

As for trolling: it's hard not to troll, after you're getting banned for whatever you write (reasonable or not).

You want a reasonable discussion? Let's start with a simple thing, you and other assist admins don't seem to realize since a long time. Game server owners have too much power that they use to abuse players. When do you realize, that this game has just a handful of really active servers? In such situation, getting a ban on a single server is almost like getting a global ban (especially for 1-map player). I've seen you paying much attention to e.g. teamkillers, which are a minor problem for this game. But I've _never_ seen you paying attention to the admin abuse problem.

For your hacking bit, I'll just leave it at two wrongs don't make a right.

As for server admin abuse, we definitely realize it, there's just not much we can do about it. They bought the server, they can control who goes on it. It's always been that way for any game. There's no other way around that. If we start punishing server owners, nobody will buy servers and players might leave. It is definitely a problem, but it's pretty much out of our control. My hope is that since the community is so small, abusive server admins will be reported and players will avoid those servers. Obviously not the best way to deal with it, but there's only so much we can control.

Offline natoorrussia

« Reply #21 on: Monday, April 28, 2014, 18:58:53 PM »
For your hacking bit, I'll just leave it at two wrongs don't make a right.

You don't have any real argument here, so all you are left with is a "saying".

As for server admin abuse, we definitely realize it, there's just not much we can do about it. They bought the server, they can control who goes on it. It's always been that way for any game. There's no other way around that. If we start punishing server owners, nobody will buy servers and players might leave. It is definitely a problem, but it's pretty much out of our control. My hope is that since the community is so small, abusive server admins will be reported and players will avoid those servers. Obviously not the best way to deal with it, but there's only so much we can control.

Abusive admins _are_ reported all the time. Just browse the shoutbox.

It's false that nothing can be done about it. Just some slight pressure from your side would change things.

And if some admin stops his server. So what? Will the community loose much? Servers are the only resource we have more than plenty nowadays. Just look at the server list in the browser. 99% of servers are empty and waiting for players to come.

But you don't do _anything_ about this problem. If I'm wrong, please quote a single thread, where you did so.

Offline Alex

« Reply #22 on: Monday, April 28, 2014, 23:31:59 PM »
You don't have any real argument here, so all you are left with is a "saying".
What else is there to say? I don't care who you're hacking against, hacking in the first place is wrong, especially since your idea of "players that deserve it" is iffy at best.

It's false that nothing can be done about it. Just some slight pressure from your side would change things.

And if some admin stops his server. So what? Will the community loose much? Servers are the only resource we have more than plenty nowadays. Just look at the server list in the browser. 99% of servers are empty and waiting for players to come.

But you don't do _anything_ about this problem. If I'm wrong, please quote a single thread, where you did so.

Nope, we haven't done anything, and most likely won't. For one, we would need a lot of proof of abuse, something nobody has ever posted or given us. Second of all, I flat out disagree that a server owned leaving would be fine. What if it's a clan server and we have an entire clan leave the game? We don't need to lose any more players.

Offline bollie

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday, April 28, 2014, 23:44:35 PM »
Pit stop talking bs.
You started hacking cause everyone ingame was owning ur ass. That is mostly cause ur gameplay sucks... ur just a noob with no learningskills.
Its funny how you wanna talk ur hacking good hahahaha well you are still the same joke like always, nothing has changed in all these years.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 00:32:31 AM »
You started hacking cause everyone ingame was owning ur ass. That is mostly cause ur gameplay sucks... ur just a noob with no learningskills.

True story. I played with him not that long ago and owned him several times on Hospital. When Spanky owns you, that's when you gotta re-think things in life. I mean, my skill level is pathetic and the poor guy that I manage to kill... gotta be humiliating.

:)
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 01:08:07 AM »
If you bothered to pay attention to what's happening on shoutbox, you'd know that 95% of those things are people who get banned by the game/Assist for unauthorized logins or other such stuff. It just happens sometimes. Very seldom have I seen a genuine report of admin abuse on the shoutbox. People just don't know the game has bugs where it says you're banned, when in reality you were kicked and  can join back up in 5 minutes.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Ganja

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 01:19:26 AM »
I agree there's way too much power to the server admins.

I feel like this is like buying shares of a company. The more shares you have, the more power you have. Here's it's like, the more servers you have, the more power you have over the game.

In the ideal AA there should be 10 servers, all official ones. Everyone playing on them, map rotating, and admins designed by the community.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 01:28:33 AM »
Ganja, don't get me wrong, the server admins do have a lot of control, and maybe it's more than would be fair, but my point was that the complaints in shoutbox are almost never about that.

And I don't disagree that there are admins out there that abuse their powers, but like was said before (by Killa), with such a small community such servers should be abandoned quite fast, it's not like there's a shortage of servers, 136 servers with 19 people on them is what it says at the moment.

And having only official servers might work, if we had the resources for that. However, it would have to be more than 10. There should be around 10 for Europe alone (in different locations), then another 5-10 for NA (including Brazilian servers, there's lots of them playing, also some on west, others on east coast), plus there would have to be servers on OC area as well (their community isn't as big as it used to, but it still exists and can't be ignored).
So altogether we'd probably have to have around (or close to) 30 servers. Even if not all of them will be filled at once (even for one location), we would always need to have room for growth.
I know Nick has been helping us setting up some servers for both NA an EU locations (and it's very nice of him!), but there's a limit to that, not to mention the fact that he doesn't have servers all over the planet.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Ganja

« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 01:50:02 AM »
That's why I'm calling it the ideal AA. Maybe I should have said 'utopic' AA in order for you to understand I know it's not gonna happen ;)

Offline Bart!

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, April 29, 2014, 01:50:53 AM »
As for "huge history": I'm glad you used the phrase "since you left", which acknowledges I had some history before that point.

As for hacking: all of the targets were/are: a) cheaters, b) exploiters, c) abusing server owners (kick/ban-trigger happy, ghosting clans etc.), d) self-proclaimed pros (with uber-sound locating players from other side of the map), etc. Never went after ordinary players (it's quite boring, to be honest).
A) How do you know they are cheating? You banned Bollie as well for example, while he is obviously not cheating
B) Punishing exploits with a harder punishment? Seems like a bigger wrong to a smaller wrong
C) Well I must admit they are annoying and sometimes are a problem, but I do not see how using a hack against them helps in this case.
D) And how do you measure who they are? If somebody gets lucky for one round, do you see them as a pro and turn your bot on?

All the measures are fishy to start with. That's the main problem. You become the only judge with nobody to control it, and you think it is weird that you got banned for that?

I do agree with the problem of kickhappy server admins though, I just do not agree with your solution there.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager