Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Assist moving to 2.8.5?  (Read 26490 times)

Offline ELiZ

Assist moving to 2.8.5?
« on: Thursday, May 02, 2013, 16:43:52 PM »
Hi all.

We wish to take this opportunity to start the discussion on perhaps moving the players of 25Assist to the newer version of 2.8.5

For a while I've been able to decrypt 2.8.5 packages, but unable to compile new uscripts that would be needed to move to 2.8.5.

That last hinder to that is now gone, and I’m able to create the components that is needed to bring Auth, and as an extension to that 25Assist to 2.8.5

I see a model that would dictate this timeline:

Phase 1, 285Assist Developing
Phase 2, 285Assist Beta Testing
Phase 3, 285Assist going online and at the same time 25Assist Auth would be shut down.

The dual action of Phase 3, is that the player base is too small to be split into 2 versions, and therefore, IF we make the move, it will be completely

The model above is mine alone, and should only be viewed as a suggestion at this time. But before a moving on, we wish to hear what you, the player’s think of this

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Assist moving to 2.8.5?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, May 02, 2013, 16:47:05 PM »
Not sure what to think about this. I think you'd have to consider the custom maps deal and what to do if someone were to run a map that's not "in" Assist. Of course, the mac & linux support would be gone too. Less mods/no would be nice but the modern hacks would still work. Tough call IMO.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, May 02, 2013, 16:48:42 PM »
I'm just going to ask a question many have asked before when there's talk of this:
What about Linux and/or Mac users? Could they still play?
I know there's not a whole lot of them, but I understand that's the reason 2.5 still existed next to 2.8.5 back when AA2 was popular, so it would be logical to include them if possible.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 02, 2013, 16:50:04 PM »
2.5 is the LAST version supported for linux & mac players. Unless someone wants to port it over...

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 02, 2013, 17:01:20 PM »
Wood be nice , is it that we also can import coop maps.

http://aao25.com/profile/?u=216;area=showposts;start=195

I will share them all if you want.

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 02, 2013, 17:16:31 PM »
Spanky say >>Less mods/no would be nice but the modern hacks would still work. 

I know in old PUF time we could do a tank race in border  3 were driving  the adder were decoreatiev, and be a giant, croll like spiders, Fly and ?  we had a lot fun in that time. but I know for me to not for structurally  game play just a moment of fun .!

Not sure what to think about this. I think you'd have to consider the custom maps deal and what to do if someone were to run a map that's not "in" Assist. Of course, the mac & linux support would be gone too.Less mods/no would be nice but the modern hacks would still work. Tough call IMO.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 02, 2013, 17:51:36 PM »
Yea, there's still mods in 2.8 but I think it requires more work to install them... I don't know, maybe I'm totally wrong here.

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, May 02, 2013, 18:24:43 PM »
I know there's not a whole lot of them, but I understand that's the reason 2.5 still existed next to 2.8.5 back when AA2 was popular, so it would be logical to include them if possible.
That's not the reason 2.5 was still populated along side 2.8. I was one of those 2.5 players and everyone I knew had a Windows PC. People just preferred the smaller community and the gameplay in 2.5.

As for the 2.8.5 move, isn't 2.5 incompatible with the latest OSX anyways? Also, I remember Jonny a while back threw up some statistics of which OS used Assist the most and there were VERY few Linux and OSX users. I doubt there would be any complaints if it were to move to 2.8.5. If anything, I believe it might cause a player base increase as 2.8.5 was the most popular version of the game and people might be willing to come back to play it.

Offline wickid

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, May 02, 2013, 20:20:08 PM »
would love to see it 2.85, keep up the hard work eliz

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, May 02, 2013, 20:21:03 PM »
even with linux server for 2.8, we should not use it if we want extra security :) like AntiBot, a native mod.
unless we build better tools in uscript >D
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline _wEEDMAn_

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, May 02, 2013, 20:30:09 PM »
AA 2.8.5 was the best free game i ever played, and in my opinion just the coop maps make it more than worth it.

JonnyM

« Reply #11 on: Friday, May 03, 2013, 01:55:43 AM »
You all forget, 2.6 & 2.5 were the most popular versions. Its when 2.7 came out that the number of players started its rapid decline.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #12 on: Friday, May 03, 2013, 03:38:32 AM »
hey ELiZ

thank you very much for doing a great job. nice!
please do not forget:
- there a so many other games out there, almost the same like aa2
- so therefore aa2xx should be someting special - even more then it is already
- with that mindset it should be playable also on other operating systems, not only windows (i am a windows freak, but..)
- and it should be, as much as possible, free of cheater
- also do not forget to keep the possibility to create home servers like it is now. a real great goal of this version now.
this all would be perfect. so if i may say, please try first at all to stop the cheaters. because cheaters are killing every game. if you could do so, this game would "explode" by players.

thank you!

Offline Yahoo

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday, May 03, 2013, 03:52:02 AM »
You all forget, 2.6 & 2.5 were the most popular versions. Its when 2.7 came out that the number of players started its rapid decline.

That's right, but the best version was definitly 2.3 and from that version to 2.8.5. they made a bunch of crap patch after patch.

Offline Bart!

« Reply #14 on: Friday, May 03, 2013, 07:15:23 AM »
I honestly prefer 285 over 2.5, I actually still have it on my external HDD, and it feels more fluent in the gameplay for me.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager