Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: AA2 Development roadmap  (Read 31564 times)

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

Re: AA2 Development roadmap
« Reply #165 on: Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 20:30:10 PM »
good job with the new release !
thanks again for this nice work.

Offline zoxee

« Reply #166 on: Friday, August 09, 2013, 06:53:36 AM »
yeah we tried new maps but they were silly maps
No wonder nobody wants to play them. Why do you think that Hospital Bridge
or Pipe are Legendary maps ? because there is a story behind them & because
they are strategically meaningful and challenging.

We have to bring back those characteristics by enabling each map to support
different objectives and missions.

"I think we have go back to the roots. Army 1.x with new engine and features. It should be different than the other modern COD/BF Shooters. Slow and tactical ... nice tactical maps" ([GA]_Homey, Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:41 pm)

See Killa, i was not that wrong  ;)
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline Alex

« Reply #167 on: Friday, August 09, 2013, 14:39:47 PM »
"I think we have go back to the roots. Army 1.x with new engine and features. It should be different than the other modern COD/BF Shooters. Slow and tactical ... nice tactical maps" ([GA]_Homey, Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:41 pm)

See Killa, i was not that wrong  ;)
How does that prove anything? You do realize that all of the maps that were in version 1 are also in 2.5, right? Plus, why does Homey's opinion even matter? He's abandoned AA players for quite some time now. Support on Battletracker is almost no-existent. He doesn't even play the game.... His BT says he was last on in 2007. He has never played mAAp or the game in its current state.

Offline zoxee

« Reply #168 on: Friday, August 09, 2013, 15:42:35 PM »
How does that prove anything? You do realize that all of the maps that were in version 1 are also in 2.5, right? Plus, why does Homey's opinion even matter? He's abandoned AA players for quite some time now. Support on Battletracker is almost no-existent. He doesn't even play the game.... His BT says he was last on in 2007. He has never played mAAp or the game in its current state.

true, but his "back to the roots" philosophy is the true way imo.
All entities in this world who fail sometime always make the same move :
recenter their activities on their core knowledge, what had made them
successful in the very first place.
Homey may never have tried the current version (strange to me that he
didn't even mention us) and gives a shit about us, but returning to that
"slow... tactical" atmosphere of the first AA is definitely the way to go.
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #169 on: Friday, August 09, 2013, 15:53:35 PM »
returning to that
"slow... tactical" atmosphere of the first AA is definitely the way to go.

So? What need to be changed? Why the word 'return'

Offline zoxee

« Reply #170 on: Friday, August 09, 2013, 16:09:37 PM »
So? What need to be changed? Why the word 'return'

one more post to glory...

Offline Ganja

« Reply #171 on: Friday, August 09, 2013, 16:13:53 PM »
So you still think i care about posts, what the hell man. In fact i was just wondering what your post meant. You use the word 'return' as if something had changed, so i wondered why, but it seems to be too much asked to have a normal discussion here

Offline zoxee

« Reply #172 on: Friday, August 09, 2013, 16:21:35 PM »
I have many very concrete ideas that i will expose from mid of September on,
will start to work on mAAp as well. Currently it is impossible for me to do so
as my parents are moving from France to Germany over the summer for ever,
after 20 years spent in Frogland (already too much).
I am currently finishing the construction of their House, been at it almost since
Assist came out.

Offline TheGumba

« Reply #173 on: Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 00:20:31 AM »
       After 30 mins of reading this  old thread I understand the need for the source code. I know the "Government Property" is the biggest hurdle in getting the source code, and as mentioned by the Dev who wrote back.."it would be faster to code 2.9 from scratch".. 

Is it possible to consider buying the source code from them? I mean its an asset that they no longer need and maybe they might consider selling this particular asset.

Also... i understood we need coders, why not actually code 2.9? We can start a campaign on kickstarter? I honestly think that the community would get alot more exposure and that its possible to raise enough necessary to hire coders to create a new game in its entirety. These are just some ideas that i wanted to throw out there. I dont think setttling for what we got is enough. After all the work you guys put in, you as a community deserve more then 200 active players . To make it worth your work and effort, why not find a way to move forward?

Offline Alex

« Reply #174 on: Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 00:47:02 AM »
       After 30 mins of reading this  old thread I understand the need for the source code. I know the "Government Property" is the biggest hurdle in getting the source code, and as mentioned by the Dev who wrote back.."it would be faster to code 2.9 from scratch".. 

Is it possible to consider buying the source code from them? I mean its an asset that they no longer need and maybe they might consider selling this particular asset.

Also... i understood we need coders, why not actually code 2.9? We can start a campaign on kickstarter? I honestly think that the community would get alot more exposure and that its possible to raise enough necessary to hire coders to create a new game in its entirety. These are just some ideas that i wanted to throw out there. I dont think setttling for what we got is enough. After all the work you guys put in, you as a community deserve more then 200 active players . To make it worth your work and effort, why not find a way to move forward?

The U.S. Army is not going to sell the source code to anyone. They're not going to put a game bearing the America's Army name in hands that they can't control. You also have to factor in that in order to do any work with the code we would need to license the Unreal Engine, which is very expensive.
 Plus, we're not exactly in good standing with the people that would make that decision anyways. "Settling for what we have" is pretty much our only option at this point. The goal is to keep AA2 alive and make improvements on it.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 02:01:15 AM »
We had a promising lead that could have turned into something much larger but it has died. What you see now is what you get. Unless, ELiZ and/or some other very talented coders come along to port more features or build a new version by reverse engineering.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline TheGumba

« Reply #176 on: Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 02:08:15 AM »
What about the whole kickstarter idea? If there were enough funds raised, do you think it would be possible to put in some serious work into a complete whole new game? If a couple of coders could build what you guys have done, wouldnt it be possible to build a complete game?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday, March 26, 2014, 02:12:33 AM »
Sure, a complete game is possible. It's been done many times. There's one on kickstarter (or it was) that aims to be a real small-scale combat simulator.

The problem is; no matter how hard you try, you will never reproduce America's Army on any engine other than UE2 and with any code other than the code the devs used. Even upgrading the UE2 engine up a few builds caused chaos back in the day with how mechanics were handled. We all see what happened when AA3 was released. So, anyone could create a new game, it just wouldn't be AA.

As far as kickstarter and retaining the AA code/engine, you then have the curious legal question of what happens when funds are sourced to pay people for their time/knowledge in editing code on a game for which they have no permission.

Offline Leopardi

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Thursday, March 27, 2014, 05:20:14 AM »
Sure, a complete game is possible. It's been done many times. There's one on kickstarter (or it was) that aims to be a real small-scale combat simulator.

The problem is; no matter how hard you try, you will never reproduce America's Army on any engine other than UE2 and with any code other than the code the devs used. Even upgrading the UE2 engine up a few builds caused chaos back in the day with how mechanics were handled. We all see what happened when AA3 was released. So, anyone could create a new game, it just wouldn't be AA.

As far as kickstarter and retaining the AA code/engine, you then have the curious legal question of what happens when funds are sourced to pay people for their time/knowledge in editing code on a game for which they have no permission.
Nothing wrong with AA3, it just was rushed early and the development team kicked out... can't do judgements based on the alpha version that it still is.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #179 on: Thursday, March 27, 2014, 16:55:58 PM »
Nothing wrong with AA3, it just was rushed early and the development team kicked out... can't do judgements based on the alpha version that it still is.

My point is that they set out to re-make the game on a newer engine. They failed because it was nothing like the AA2. People still enjoyed the game but it was nothing like AA1 and AA2. They finally figured that out with AAPG, it's an entirely different game.

If people set out to re-make AA2, it will fail/succeed just like AA3 did.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager