Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: AA2 Development roadmap  (Read 31360 times)

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

Re: AA2 Development roadmap
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 11:15:38 AM »
Well I have word from the AA dev team... To sum up the answer is no! for legal reasons.

just put a confirmation part on, then it is legal for sure.
but ok for me.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 13:34:03 PM »
Most of the newer maps were only created on a fun basis, i think it's time we give
back AA the credit it had at the beginning. New Maps should be created / Existing maps
should be modified on a regular basis with new realistic strategic goals to accomplish / reproduce
possible real life combat situations. For that purpose i propose the creation of a forum section
to discuss their design (not the coding) in terms of military strategics.
Maybe that way even the army would maybe retake interest in the whole thing one day who knows.

I completely agree with this. I think we should drop the silly and unfinished maps to save download space and get new users in the game quicker.

Glass Kill House - Obvious
Monkey Island - I like it but it's always been a pain in the ass
PBall - Only map with the physics mod but it doesn't belong in this game
Pool Day - Could be part of AA if the map was bigger and extended into other areas of the 'building'
Spankyville - Not sure on this one since it's purely offline and demonstrates stuff like physics and AI
Teh Yetis Lair - Old classic but not with AA values
UT04 - Maybe turn this into a training map for clans or just get rid of it?

Just those alone will save 45+ mb extracted and a 15mb download. Perhaps training maps can be removed or an optional download as well? I don't think some training maps work due to hard-coded communications.

It would also be good to take the devs attitude and modify existing maps, going through them one at a time and let the community decide on fixes, improvements, weapon loadouts and anything to do with the map dynamics. Most all the maps in AA were made and then never touched again except for bug fixes. It's about time they're visually upgraded or tweaked with 10+ years of player experience.

My opinion on the map roadmap is this:
1. Get rid of the maps that aren't "AA quality".
2. Remove training maps until a user wants to download them.
3. Combine them all together in one package or split them all up individually. It seems like Assist has 2 dozen different packages to download for maps and it seems unorganized/unoptimized (sorry Jonny & ELiZ...)
4. Start a thread for Border to get ideas flowing and make it the testing ground for revamping existing maps.
5. Sell Assist back to the devs once they want to get AA2 going again.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

JonnyM

« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 13:40:50 PM »
I don't think some training maps work due to hard-coded communications.

Are you sure about this? I've never come across a training map the does not work. It just dont save the results.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 13:44:11 PM »
Are you sure about this? I've never come across a training map the does not work. It just dont save the results.

I tried them a while back and it seemed like a few within 5 seconds failed automatically... I'll try again.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 14:18:54 PM »

It would also be good to take the devs attitude and modify existing maps, going through them one at a time and let the community decide on fixes, improvements, weapon loadouts and anything to do with the map dynamics. Most all the maps in AA were made and then never touched again except for bug fixes. It's about time they're visually upgraded or tweaked with 10+ years of player experience.

3. Combine them all together in one package or split them all up individually. It seems like Assist has 2 dozen different packages to download for maps and it seems unorganized/unoptimized (sorry Jonny & ELiZ...)
4. Start a thread for Border to get ideas flowing and make it the testing ground for revamping existing maps.

That's a good approach for a cleanup and reorganization, it should get a direction when it will come to revamping those maps visually (it would good to keep a common style between those).

1- What do you mean spanky are you cheange border into a trainings camp. (?)
2- Hope border stays olso  like a (normal) game play map. say YES !  Thx! (nope)
3-Testing new ladders  :D (facepalm)

I was going to bet you were to come, read and post exclusively about Border. Can you see anything else after the Border? (pun intended)
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 14:26:21 PM by Koden »

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 14:20:20 PM »
I completely agree with this. I think we should drop the silly and unfinished maps to save download space and get new users in the game quicker.

Glass Kill House - Obvious
Monkey Island - I like it but it's always been a pain in the ass
PBall - Only map with the physics mod but it doesn't belong in this game
Pool Day - Could be part of AA if the map was bigger and extended into other areas of the 'building'
Spankyville - Not sure on this one since it's purely offline and demonstrates stuff like physics and AI
Teh Yetis Lair - Old classic but not with AA values
UT04 - Maybe turn this into a training map for clans or just get rid of it?

Just those alone will save 45+ mb extracted and a 15mb download. Perhaps training maps can be removed or an optional download as well? I don't think some training maps work due to hard-coded communications.

1- What do you mean spanky are you cheange border into a trainings camp.
2- Hope border stays olso  like a (normal) game play map. say YES !  Thx!
3-Testing new ladders  :D

Offline Alex

« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 14:55:53 PM »
Most of the newer maps were only created on a fun basis, i think it's time we give
back AA the credit it had at the beginning. New Maps should be created / Existing maps
should be modified on a regular basis with new realistic strategic goals to accomplish / reproduce
possible real life combat situations. For that purpose i propose the creation of a forum section
to discuss their design (not the coding) in terms of military strategics.
Maybe that way even the army would maybe retake interest in the whole thing one day who knows.

We tried new maps. People played them for a couple of days and then back to SF Hospital and Bridge.
We tried editing existing maps. Spanky simply added a fucking railing and everyone bitched. What do you think will happen if we change important stuff?

I'm all for editing existing maps, but it would be a shame to sacrifice some of the community to make it happen.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 14:57:30 PM »
We tried new maps. People played them for a couple of days and then back to SF Hospital and Bridge.
We tried editing existing maps. Spanky simply added a fucking railing and everyone bitched. What do you think will happen if we change important stuff?

I'm all for editing existing maps, but it would be a shame to sacrifice some of the community to make it happen.

That's why we start 1 at a time, make a news post in Assist, gather ideas, implement ideas, release a test version and once we make something that's better, we move on.

We either succeed or fail. If we fail, we can try it again but if we succeed, NEXT MAP!

JonnyM

« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 15:01:47 PM »
Plenty of prior consulation, lots of notice and chance for people to have their say, people cannot complain then. We can put up assist news and popup bulletins. Everyone will see it.

Offline Alex

« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 15:02:18 PM »
That's why we start 1 at a time, make a news post in Assist, gather ideas, implement ideas, release a test version and once we make something that's better, we move on.

We either succeed or fail. If we fail, we can try it again but if we succeed, NEXT MAP!
Fail? The world would simply not be able to understand the greatness that we created.

Seriously though, I would need the editor again since I deleted all that stuff a while back after wasting all of my time on City Block, Rooftop, and Petrol. :) Yes, I'm still bitter about that. :P

JonnyM

« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 15:06:19 PM »
I think fixing and improving things is more important than new maps. The main focus from now on is to get aa back to its roots,  we have succeed in tackling the modded servers, now we need to work on cleaning up the accounts piss take with training requirement. And we need to tackle macros and hacks. And of cause bug fixes and improvents.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 15:09:37 PM »
Yes, I'm still bitter about that. :P

I think you have finally graduated to Master Mapper status. Check your PM's.

Jonny, I'll look into the training maps.

Offline krIz+

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 15:10:36 PM »
disable single fire to prevent macro users

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 15:48:15 PM »
City Block is a good map need a little change but the game play is great to get OBJ 

Fail? The world would simply not be able to understand the greatness that we created.

Seriously though, I would need the editor again since I deleted all that stuff a while back after wasting all of my time on City Block, Rooftop, and Petrol. :) Yes, I'm still bitter about that. :P

Offline zoxee

« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 15:59:36 PM »

Read my posts Killa, yeah we tried new maps but they were silly maps
No wonder nobody wants to play them. Why do you think that Hospital Bridge
or Pipe are Legendary maps ? because there is a story behind them & because
they are strategically meaningful and challenging.

We have to bring back those characteristics by enabling each map to support
different objectives and missions.
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager