Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Hor+ widescreen?  (Read 22087 times)

Offline Leopardi

• View Profile
Re: Hor+ widescreen?
« Reply #15 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 08:32:25 AM »
1920x1080 on my 24inch monitor looks fine
That is not fine... look how much is cut from the top/bottom (look at weapon and the sky). In a CQB situation with vertical gameplay like in Pipeline it's an absolute horror to play with.

16:10 is a little better, just somewhat acceptable. But 16:9 is taking it too far.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 20, 2012, 08:34:38 AM by Leopardi »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »
Whoops. I clicked on "enlarge your FOV" advertising on my mail :P nasty advertising.

Disclaimer: a few medic personnel was wounded after taking this pic.

« Last Edit: Friday, January 20, 2012, 09:35:45 AM by Koden »

Jonnym

« Reply #17 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 13:50:44 PM »
I would say it is more important to see what is going on to the left and to the right, I don't see why its important to see the floor and sky.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #18 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 14:45:38 PM »
Leopardi, your largest complaint is with your monitor's size. I mean, I guess you could blame AA for being developed in a time where widescreen monitors weren't the norm but in your screenshots, you lose maybe 3" of the players hand? I offered you solutions to the problem. There is another solution but it would likely cause headaches (possibly literally) and that's to change the FOV allowed by Assist servers' PB scans.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Jonnym

« Reply #19 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 16:06:31 PM »
I think widescreen displays on a computer is a stupid idea.
When reading a web page or document you need height not width, What a dumb idea, why did the invent it?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #20 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 16:10:53 PM »
I never did understand the whole widescreen push. Some movies have such a wide aspect ratio that even on 16:9 you have thick black bars. Some people rotate their monitors to be in portrait mode which is fine for web but sucks for most games unless you do something like this:

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 16:33:08 PM »
I never did understand the whole widescreen push. Some movies have such a wide aspect ratio that even on 16:9 you have thick black bars. Some people rotate their monitors to be in portrait mode which is fine for web but sucks for most games unless you do something like this:

That doesn't look like a great solution, i think the bezels get a lot in the way, or at least they get in the way of the main object in your screen (the car).

Picture ration in movies is a different thing imho.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #22 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 16:44:43 PM »
That doesn't look like a great solution, i think the bezels get a lot in the way, or at least they get in the way of the main object in your screen (the car).

Bezels aren't so bad. The other monitors are more for peripherals. It's something you have to use to get an idea of how practical it is. Besides, you can buy 3 16:9 1080p monitors for $550-$850 and get over 2 million more pixels than you would with a single 16:10 2560x1600 monitor.

Anyway, it is a shame that so many cheap 16:9 TN panels flood the market. But it's also a shame that 16:10 IPS panels are so expensive.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 17:47:39 PM »
Modern games (some of them) render in a way that if the resolution is wider, you gain view on the sides. Older engine do the opposite where wider views chop off the top and bottom.

It's been this way in AA since day 1, so w/e. And it's not gonna change either, it's an engine thing and it's an old game.

Offline Leopardi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 20:23:02 PM »
Modern games (some of them) render in a way that if the resolution is wider, you gain view on the sides. Older engine do the opposite where wider views chop off the top and bottom.

It's been this way in AA since day 1, so w/e. And it's not gonna change either, it's an engine thing and it's an old game.
But it's possible to change the FOV in the game. It's possible to make better for 90% of the users who have widescreen monitor these days.
I would say it is more important to see what is going on to the left and to the right, I don't see why its important to see the floor and sky.
AA has a lot of vertical gameplay, it's not CS. Example: When you enter the main pump room in Pipeline, a tunnel vision like this means the difference between life and death.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #25 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 21:12:48 PM »
But it's possible to change the FOV in the game. It's possible to make better for 90% of the users who have widescreen monitor these days.

The problem is PunkBuster checks. We would have to setup a standard and get users to vote on it before changing the FOV to another value.

Jared

« Reply #26 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 22:42:52 PM »
Deal with it.

Everyone else does.

I'm sry but i just don't see any reason to complain about this or try to fix it by using fov.

Offline Leopardi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 23:47:23 PM »
The problem is PunkBuster checks. We would have to setup a standard and get users to vote on it before changing the FOV to another value.
So... set a new standard? It's time for this game to go widescreen.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 01:01:41 AM »
So... set a new standard? It's time for this game to go widescreen.

We can.
pb_sv_cvar "PlayerController FovAngle *" IN 85
pb_sv_cvar "PlayerController DefaultFOV *" IN 85
pb_sv_cvar "StudentController FovAngle *" IN 85
pb_sv_cvar "StudentController DefaultFOV *" IN 85
pb_sv_cvar "HumanController FovAngle *" IN 85
pb_sv_cvar "HumanController DefaultFOV *" IN 85

Choose a number that works well with the majority of people's hardware and then get the majority of the community FOR changing it and we'll do it after merging mAAp and Normal modes in Assist. I doubt this will happen though, seeing that people bitch and moan about merging modes.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 01:19:17 AM »
That would have to be an option in Assist. Cuz people who have the 'default' 4:3 resolution are gonna have the proper view on 90 fov (90 fov meaning 90 degrees, at least thats what it is on UT2004).

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager