Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: ATAS server  (Read 16703 times)

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
Re: ATAS server
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 15:57:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure the 75 ping you have vs the 100 everyone "used to have" is quite a different story.

You others see your ping as 4 times smaller than you do. So when others see yours at 75, if you could see it, it would be 300. But since the game doesn't show you pings over 250 (in my experience), when you look at it, it just seems to go from 250 to 0 or vice versa.

And I think I remember the time when everyone just saw the higher one whether they were looking at their own ping or someone else's (I could be wrong here tho).

But for as much as I've read here (and elsewhere), your ping on a server will not affect anyone else (except when shooting at you, that's when some strange shit might happen).
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline drone89

« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 16:11:52 PM »
No, it is actually 75ish. There are about 3 German servers i get pings between 60 and 80. US Servers up in the high 200's, ranging from around 230-280. Even admins yesterday said it was 75 (technically they said 83).

I fail to see the difference between 75 today and 75 a few years ago.

Like I said, if you look into it, high latency players make no difference to the server or other players. In fact, the only way you can tell a high latency player is because of their ping, not because of how they play, not because of hit registration, not because of any other reason.

My argument is this: If there is no difference between me with 75 ping and another player with 35, ASIDE FROM THE NUMBER, why the kick? I realise ping is a measure of delay between client and server, but a ping of 75 is 0.075 seconds compared to 0.035 seconds... In other words, nearly nothing.

Anyways, I'm not starting an argument, simply requesting a little more chilled attitude when it comes to ping on ATAS. If you consider my situation, AA2 being my favourite game since around 2004, no Australian servers (I would rent one, but there's also no Australian players) to be getting a 75 ping in a German server? That's amazing.

When I used to play I was playing on dial-up to Australian servers with high 200's...

Offline =SKUL=SherminatorPT

« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 16:21:05 PM »
No, it is actually 75ish. There are about 3 German servers i get pings between 60 and 80. US Servers up in the high 200's, ranging from around 230-280. Even admins yesterday said it was 75 (technically they said 83).

I fail to see the difference between 75 today and 75 a few years ago.

Like I said, if you look into it, high latency players make no difference to the server or other players. In fact, the only way you can tell a high latency player is because of their ping, not because of how they play, not because of hit registration, not because of any other reason.

My argument is this: If there is no difference between me with 75 ping and another player with 35, ASIDE FROM THE NUMBER, why the kick? I realise ping is a measure of delay between client and server, but a ping of 75 is 0.075 seconds compared to 0.035 seconds... In other words, nearly nothing.

Anyways, I'm not starting an argument, simply requesting a little more chilled attitude when it comes to ping on ATAS. If you consider my situation, AA2 being my favourite game since around 2004, no Australian servers (I would rent one, but there's also no Australian players) to be getting a 75 ping in a German server? That's amazing.

When I used to play I was playing on dial-up to Australian servers with high 200's...
You can say whatever you want about hight pings the thing is when ever a brasilian joins a server with he's 100 ping, i have to unload sometimes 2 mags to get a kill i could get with 2 burst of fire on a lower ping, wich means it does afect the game to others.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, November 05, 2013, 14:36:09 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping_(video_gaming)

Older Games:
In some games, users with a high ping unintentionally gain an unfair advantage, as in some implementations of the Quake III Arena network protocol and game engine. In these games, the player aided by the higher ping skips around, almost looking like they are teleporting, making it hard to judge where the character is exactly, and thus more elusive to target. For this reason, many servers automatically remove players with higher than average ping - with thresholds as low as 130 milliseconds.

Newer Games:
In more modern multiplayer online video games implementations, the server keeps track of where the user's avatar (character) is, so having a high latency will usually be to the user's peril. It generally means that having a high ping is detrimental ONLY/MOSTLY to the "lagger" having seeing rival players locations at a "delayed rate". With the latest in net code implementations in modern games. A player's "location" is now handled by the "server" so as to reduce if not eliminate the "teleporting" effect of high ping or more commonly - packet-loss.

...America's Army 2.5 being the latter (insofar understood as 'Newer Games'). It needs to be understood that server ping is not directly affected by player ping. Often times, the most common issue seems to be there exists a disparity between the number of players a server can host and the number of players the server has been set-up to host; whereas the former relates to one's server hosting and the latter relates to the server set-up settings.

It is an absurdity that servers kick en-vise of high pings; Even more when faced with a vigorous fact that ours is a small community that should be catering to new users as opposed to remaining this ego-turned power-childish playground slutty shenanigan.

I'm personally putting all the effort I can towards having Assist host an official server made to the community and ran by it.

/Dan
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline drone89

« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 01:40:57 AM »
Hi Dan

I'm actually suprised to hear a bit of support for my point-of-view. I've found with the ATAS server, admins are usually pretty good if you say, for example "playing from Aus, can't reduce ping any further" they have often let it slide.

To be fair I've only been kicked probably 4 times of the 10 or so I've connected to that server in the past 2 days.

I do recall playing back mid 2000's (2004/05) onwards until around 2008. For basically all of this time (until 2007) I was on dial-up with a lame PC. Nowadays working full time I've got an epic PC and the best internet connection currently available in all of Australia (I'm not even joking about that). Yet it still seems ping is an issue.

I can agree that it's actually harder for the player with higher pings (not that I consider 75 high). I die a lot easier than I get a kill, but you'd think that, in itself, would be a reason for a server to not mind - free cannon-fodder. For reference, given we all used to play with pings in excess of 100-150 back in the day, I cannot see for the life of me how 75-80 can be considered a 'high ping', but then I don't host the server so it's not my call.

I'd happily set up a server for Australian/NZ etc players to void this issue, the problem is when I reinstalled 2.8.5 just before they ceased official support, only about 18 players in all of Aus played, and even then it was only on a Friday night :(

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 02:11:22 AM »
Well I was sharing your point on latency not affecting other players connection with the server, if you read my post.

BUT. You clearly don't understand what I'm talking about ping.
You see, the game gives 2 different values for the same ping. One you see yourself, and the other is seen by anyone else. The one you see yourself is always 4 times bigger than the one everyone else sees. I don't know when they changed it, buy I'm pretty sure there used to be a time you could always see the bigger one, even on other players.

And you're definitely talking about the on divided by 4, because the distance between Austraila(you) and Germany(the server) is ~14500km, at the speed of light that can be traveled in about 48ms, but since ping is considered the round-trip from the messenger to the server and back, the minimum your ping could theoretically be would be around 96ms.

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Ganja

« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 03:04:31 AM »
Dan, according to Wiki, in new games, ping won't change the position of your character cauz the server keeps track of where the user's avatar (character) is. I don't think this is completely true.

I wouldn't say, their ping has an influence on mine, but I believe that someone with a high ping can be harder to kill, due to teleportation, you can't really see where he is, and sometimes he runs faster, but that's it. Admins shouldn't kick for that, it's silly.

Offline KARI-30

« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 05:36:06 AM »
The ping what you see on a server is correct. It shouldnt be divided by 4. When you have a ping 250+ then its not displayed by the AA correctly. The best way to find out what your actual ping is open cmd and type ping and the server ip. For ATAS server for example:

START -> cmd -> ping 188.138.113.184

Then you see your correct ping. I have played most of my AA time with a bad ping and it doesnt affect other players. It only makes you lag and makes it harder for you to kill the enemies. You are basicly a free kill for players with good ping. So I dont understand why someone would be kicked for high ping.

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 08:08:26 AM »
Atas is not the only server that kicks for high ping, pretty much all servers do, players complain about another players high ping, without warning they boot em, kinda of sad though,

I can't see one players high ping effecting a server, I think its a bs excuse to boot someone, before booting players they need to be informed high ping WON'T effect the server only effects the player with the high ping

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 09:47:47 AM »
I'm pretty sure there was a more thorough thread about how high ping doesn't affect the other players somewhere in these forums.

But I do agree, like said before, that it can make the person a bit harder to kill in those teleportation scenarios and that mostly it just makes for the guy with high ping to kill anyone else (from bullets taking ages to register all the way to throwing frags from a position you were at a few seconds ago).

Offline alechko1

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 12:02:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure there was a more thorough thread about how high ping doesn't affect the other players somewhere in these forums.

But I do agree, like said before, that it can make the person a bit harder to kill in those teleportation scenarios and that mostly it just makes for the guy with high ping to kill anyone else (from bullets taking ages to register all the way to throwing frags from a position you were at a few seconds ago).

That's nonsense, as someone who is far away from both europe and US, and plays with WiFi, I can assure you that high ping gives you no advantage. I see people pope out infront of me out of no where, and many times I get killed before I even could see the guy because of my lag. The person infront of me have always about half a second to shoot first, and the only chance for me to kill him is if is very slow or didn't see me. On 82d server I once surprised two guys from the back and shot a whole AR clip on them from zero distance, I don't think a single bullet hit them.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 12:14:02 PM »
There are 2 kinds of high pings.

1) EU playing on NA server or whatever. Ping is high, you shoot 0.05 seconds faster.
2) You have wireless connection, and it's real shit. Ping goes up and down, and you're difficult to kill cauz of teleport.

Offline drone89

« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 16:07:24 PM »
Hi guys

I'm not specifically attacking ATAS. In fact that's my favourite server because of my low ping and it's primarily Hospital. Plus the admins are pretty cool, apart form the odd kick.

Maybe sooner or later they'll start remembering my name and not insta-kick, but until then you do battle the kick trying to stay.

To be honest, I think my ping is actually 75ish. I can tell the difference between ATAS and AAS (US) server. In AAS server I find it much harder to do anything but die, although I still play because its AA2. With ATAS I feel like I have a bit of a chance and it's more down to skill because lag doesn't seem to be a factor.

As for kicking due to high ping, I don't really get why it's an issue, like someone said before, high pingers are basically a free kill. I don't think I've ever seen teleporting characters, nor has anyone ever complained because I teleport. I think it's one of those crutches people point to in order to claim high ping is oh-so-evil.

_dr0ne_

Offline Ganja

« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, November 06, 2013, 16:24:08 PM »
Plus the admins are pretty cool, apart form the odd kick.

To stay on topic: this is not true. They are a bunch of abusive kids. They admit to ghost every round. Last time i played WC, i asked to put them on 1 team cauz it was getting boring with the ghosting, and their answer was like ' some players don't know the map'. Seriously ... cool admins? uh

Offline Dialects

« Reply #89 on: Thursday, November 07, 2013, 23:15:43 PM »
I wouldn't say, their ping has an influence on mine, but I believe that someone with a high ping can be harder to kill, due to teleportation, you can't really see where he is, and sometimes he runs faster, but that's it. Admins shouldn't kick for that, it's silly.

AA has been teleportation-free since around version 2.3 I believe? Not entirely sure. If teleportation happens then it is due to the ping of the server itself and not its players. This is an issue to be resolved with the hosting as you're either not being given the server power/specs that you signed and paid for or you're essentially overloading the server. Either one way or the other, it is a subject none related to players and their pings.

1) EU playing on NA server or whatever. Ping is high, you shoot 0.05 seconds faster.
False. There is no such thing as shooting faster. The only thing that ping causes is detriment in information-exchange.

To stay on topic: this is not true. They are a bunch of abusive kids. They admit to ghost every round. Last time i played WC, i asked to put them on 1 team cauz it was getting boring with the ghosting, and their answer was like ' some players don't know the map'. Seriously ... cool admins? uh

This is not staying on topic...when the topic concerns ATAS server kicking for high ping values which is what the whole argument has been about.

I'm not picking on you. Simply trying to get the most assertive and accurate information out in the public so it becomes crystal clear what effects ping may have and where these are either player-related or server-related.

/Dan
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager