Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Assist 2.5 ( Americas Army 2.8.5 )  (Read 19485 times)

Offline Yahoo

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
Re: Assist 2.5 ( Americas Army 2.8.5 )
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 15:44:02 PM »
they will get bored with fast gameplay and come back,,, just a matter of time.

I doubt about that, since PG is still a beta version (no lean, lack of weapons, no door action, plenty of bugs...) if they manage to get some of the old maps in action like MM, IC, Pipe,... the game will be great, shame the resources to play the game are huge, perhaps they change it in the final version. They game has some great potential, anyway it's my first impression. 

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 15:49:45 PM »
Only one thing: a brand new engine...

What would that accomplish? The gameplay dynamics would be different, it'd be hard finding enough developers to devote to the game for free and it would take quite a while.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 16:36:43 PM »
What would that accomplish? The gameplay dynamics would be different...
It's just an engine like any others - mostly when it comes to Unreal Engine. Greatest in the UE is backwards compatibility - basically, you can rewrite i.e. AA3 to behave like AA2.5 - or port AA2.5 directly to the new engine with only minor changes to the code.

...it'd be hard finding enough developers to devote to the game for free and it would take quite a while.
+/- 1 year for:
- rewriting AA3 - strong team of min 3 coders. In this case you will lose support for Linux.
- new engine - First you need to find one, then as above plus animation team. There was only one leaked UE3 with Linux support, but it will be difficult to get it - people won't share...

« Last Edit: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 20:11:38 PM by NoBigDeal »
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 17:40:40 PM »
I know what a new engine would mean but I'm asking you what it would accomplish for this game. The entire thing would have to be redone from the ground up and then anything resembling America's Army would have to be stripped as that's a much larger step towards copyright infringement than where we currently are now.

Those that are good with creating content either have jobs in the field and have very little if no time for FREE work or they are on other games. The big modding community for UT exists because they like that game. They don't come here because this is a serious game with core values that shouldn't be disrupted.

Even if we overcome the monstrous hurdles of finding a new free engine, finding developers willing to work for free, and then can collaborate everything together, there still remains 1 problem:
If the AA devs couldn't rebuild the game (AA3, AA:PG) and keep the core AA2 players, what chance do we have? The gameplay would be different.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline alechko1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 19:18:21 PM »
AA2 devs weren't the same devs as AA3/AA4. Thus the problem wasn't that they couldn't duplicate AA2 gameplay, it's just they weren't trying to. They wanted to create a new game that will be mainstream like BF and COD while hoping to have more players.
So I don't really think that game play couldn't be preserved. But all the rest of your arguments are legit

Offline NoBigDeal

• Loyal Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 20:04:02 PM »
...what it would accomplish for this game...
In these days, the image quality is what people like. In this case AA3 is not too bad - only gameplay sucks. Imagine AA3 with AA2.5 gameplay... Rewriting AA3 will be much easier than to move the entire AA2.5 to the new engine (where I'll suggest to use AA3 content any way...).
Biggest problem of this community is Linux support, if not, UDK is free - as long as you don't make money you don't need to worry about copyright. Eliz already has proved, that porting AA3 (maps) to UDK can be done very easily thanks to the large similarity.

The entire thing would have to be redone from the ground up
Not really...

Those that are good with creating content either have jobs in the field and have very little if no time for FREE work or they are on other games.
Better ad should do the job in finding the right people.

The big modding community for UT exists because they like that game.
...because of flexibility of the gameplay and engine accessibility - here, this is not the case.

If the AA devs couldn't rebuild the game (AA3, AA:PG) and keep the core AA2 players, what chance do we have? The gameplay would be different.
True, but I think it would be worthwhile to try.
What if you could change the world by changing your perspective of it?
Would you?

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, September 26, 2013, 20:06:20 PM »
UE 2.5 > UE 3 :P
AA 2.5 > Other UE 2/2.5 games.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager