Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Website improvements  (Read 27311 times)

Offline Alex

Re: Website improvements
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 14:17:12 PM »
Guys, I am not bitching or complaining. If I offended anyone, my apologies.
I am just putting down ideas to hopefully help grow Assist and the community.
To grow the community, we need to be open minded and willing to look outside the box.

Let me also say this. This is not about power grabbing or power struggle.The whole community is thankful and appreciates what was done by Jonny, Spanky, Jared, Blue and others.  We are all thankful and appreciative.

What the issue is about is growing the community. Get new blood in. And as far as I am concerned all means are good.
You have to understand, they're doing this all FOR FREE. That means their taking time out of the daily lives and work schedules just to upkeep this site, FOR FREE. It's really annoying when you're doing something for free and people keep wanting other stuff, not even caring about you or your time.

Jonnym

« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 14:34:05 PM »
I think the whole Headshot team should come together and start a new project, something that has the potential to turn a profit and maybe turn into a business, doing big time consuming projects like this one for free is a waste of talent.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 14:40:30 PM »
I haven't heard the term "Headshot Team" in a long time. That's love.

Offline Alex

« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 14:42:46 PM »
I think the whole Headshot team should come together and start a new project, something that has the potential to turn a profit and maybe turn into a business, doing big time consuming projects like this one for free is a waste of talent.
I'm sure you guys could come up with something nice.

Jared

« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 14:43:59 PM »
I was talking with nate about "orange site" (if any of you remember that) a few days ago.

But I'm down for a new project -- but between may 28th and june 7th I will be working on tight deadlines to get a site launched so I will have nill for free time.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 14:59:20 PM »
lol I'm so down to HAM and JAM on this bitch.

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: Avguste
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 15:18:04 PM »
posting from my cell.

doing things for free is part of the gaming communities. whether it is anticheat, being a volunteer for game devs and what not. it is part of the gaming communities.

But doing things for free doesnt prevent from looking at all possible ways to grow the community.
Suggestions are posted, devs review suggestions and accept or deny.

Right now, what I have seen so far is devs saying "i quit. people dont like what i did, i quit"
That sounds to me like "my way or the highway".

you dont like the ideas? then say so and we move on. you think you have better ideas on how to get more people in Assist? post them.

And now there is talk of a new project? as in moving way from this one? why? the way to grow the community is by working together

Offline Alex

« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 15:24:35 PM »
posting from my cell.

doing things for free is part of the gaming communities. whether it is anticheat, being a volunteer for game devs and what not. it is part of the gaming communities.

But doing things for free doesnt prevent from looking at all possible ways to grow the community.
Suggestions are posted, devs review suggestions and accept or deny.

Right now, what I have seen so far is devs saying "i quit. people dont like what i did, i quit"
That sounds to me like "my way or the highway".

you dont like the ideas? then say so and we move on. you think you have better ideas on how to get more people in Assist? post them.

And now there is talk of a new project? as in moving way from this one? why? the way to grow the community is by working together
In no way would this project close. Pit runs the servers and you can easily finds other people to look for cheaters and another site seeing as this one apparently isn't good enough. Just because a few people move on doesn't mean the end of AA 2.5.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 15:26:24 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Jared

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 15:54:08 PM »
Okay so lets clear this up a bit. The site is fine as is, I really don't see why we should add a bunch of feature such as galleries etc. People arn't here for that, they are here to discuss the progression of the game and assist.

From day one people have came here and said hey we should do this, hey we should do that. A better way of doing so is to say, we should do this, because it could generate X in new users or lets try contact these people to do a blog post they have a viewing membership of XXXX.

Now directly @august - the websites you linked to along with possesed are a slap in the face, those sites were cool back in 2006, actually in 2006 our site was better than those. When you go and mention joomla I just rolled my eyes. That's one of the worst cms's out there. To stack on top of a new cms, do you really want to force over 800+ people to make new accounts, and learn a new forum system?

But it not just you august, its all over the forums.

Brussles is doing his own thing, AAO Daily is back up. Even when I created the ladder site, that was done just to pass time until TWL picked up the game. Yet 3 or 4 people came on here and said that they where building one as well. The community is divided, the more people that come the harder it will be to unify them.

Open-source is the new age its not about keeping things hidden its about sharing and improving. Not 1 person here has asked to help code, develop or fund this project, yet everyone here is jumping at the bit to voice their opinions about what we should do.

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 16:15:20 PM »
Jared, those websites i linked are just examples of what other game companies are doing. There is nothing wrong with seeing what the competition is doing.
Take the best ideas of each company, make them your own and use them as needed.
Part of the process of developing something is to keep an open mind and not be offended by suggestions, whether they are nicely said or not.

Concerning the CMS, no one needs to register since all login/register would be removed from the CMS.

No disrespect but part of discussing the game and assist is about how to get more new/old players in and grow the community.

yes, open source is about helping improve and sharing and that is what we are doing. Many of us cant code, however we can post ideas, suggest softwares which could help things and such

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 16:20:47 PM »
Jared - everything you wrote is very reasonable. I just don't get how one person's proposals can cause you and Spanky to quit. You shall take some assertiveness lessons from Major, and reply "no, fuck you and your joomla", and just go on, but not quit ;-D.

BTW, I just hope Skrewy won't come here and say 'I quit too'. That would be the _real_ nail to the coffin for this project ;-D.

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 16:25:43 PM »
exactly pit. you dont like my ideas, fine. say so and we move on.
you got better ideas on how to bring in new and old players? post them.

Jared

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 16:27:46 PM »
Your whole reply proves my point even more.

Part of the process of developing something is to keep an open mind and not be offended by suggestions, whether they are nicely said or not.

Negative - The process of suggestions starts with research, find things that work for you. Looking at competition is the worst thing you can do, just because someone else is doing doesn't make it right nor means it works.

Concerning the CMS, no one needs to register since all login/register would be removed from the CMS.

Whats the point of the CMS then?

yes, open source is about helping improve and sharing and that is what we are doing. Many of us cant code, however we can post ideas, suggest softwares which could help things and such

Why would you offer software if you don't know the ins & outs of how they work or how they will integrate into our systems.

@pit - as i said in other posts its not just this thread/post its all over the forums.

@august - each time you post i lol. If you interested in marketing or web development do some research please.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 16:32:11 PM »
You guys are dwelling on the suggestions that august posted. That's not THE problem here, it's just the straw that broke the camels back. I'm not upset or offended by anything posted in this thread, seriously.

It's about effort to reward ratio for me. I couldn't count the hours I've put into mAAp and this site. All for free (I think I got $30-$40 from ads a few years back which I split into beer money for a few people). I started AA around 2006 as far as I can remember. I loved the game then but in the last 4 years, I don't see any fun in it, at all. The only fun I had was creating maps because it seemed like there was good feedback at the time and Jonny's Deploy/Assist program made it easier for users to play maps. Here's the thing though, for the last several weeks, even though mAAp is now mandatory, on average, I only see about 5% of the in-game players on mAAp. At the current max of about 150 players online at the peak play time, that's not even a dozen people. Look, right now at the time of this post, 7 out of 137 users are in mAAp and 3 are on Yeti which is one of the most ridiculous ill-planned skillless maps there is.

The engine is old and limited, the gameplay I dislike, the community I dislike, and few people use what I've created. The motivation is completely gone.

It's the same reason why Jonny is done. He was super passionate about this project but it's turned out different than what he had hoped and now it's too frustrating and time consuming to avoid being tarred and feathered by the entire community for just a small update. It's why he's mentioned a new project, start fresh with a better game and not have the restricting limitations put fourth by the game, it's engine and the community.

*EDIT*
I missed a point I wanted to touch on. I'm not saying that I'll shut this site down, especially any time soon but keep in mind that I do own this hosting account and I paid for it with 100% my own money. I'm not going to let you guys take a steaming dump on Jared & my efforts to build this site by creating something else, you'll have to do it on your own hosting account. Again, I'll gladly transfer the domain to whoever wants it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 16:40:30 PM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 16:40:31 PM »
Here's the thing though, for the last several weeks, even though mAAp is now mandatory, on average, I only see about 5% of the in-game players on mAAp. At the current max of about 150 players online at the peak play time, that's not even a dozen people. Look, right now at the time of this post, 7 out of 137 users are in mAAp and 3 are on Yeti which is one of the most ridiculous ill-planned skillless maps there is.

Well, I must tell you Spanky that if you hoped to beat or even approach the popularity of "normal" maps with maap, then you aimed really high. I doubt _anyone_ would be able to create maps, that could match the popularity of standard maps that have been played over the years, and have become a classics.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager