Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Website improvements  (Read 27102 times)

Offline Calevey

• View Profile
    • SASF Clan
Re: Website improvements
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 19:41:21 PM »
*checks watch* Hmmm. mAAp v5 (3 or so versions ago) was released roughly 3 years ago. That was release #8 if I remember right. I think the community has had plenty of time to adjust. The jury is in, they don't give a shit.
For me the mAAp project has existed from january, so not that long really and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. If you want to blame someone, blame the people who were around three years ago and knew about the whole project.
- Getting old, cold and slow -

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 19:45:29 PM »
Well, Assist has been on Sourceforge since 2009, I know it was "Deploy" before that and it wasn't hosted on Sourceforge at first. I would guess that mAAp has been a part of Assist (and thus 2.5) since 2008. If that's not enough time for something to catch on, then I don't know how it would ever catch on. Even if we're talking just from January 2012, that's almost 6 months of it being a mandatory download.

Another "test" I did recently was run my mAAp only rotating server (changing maps every 40 minutes) for 2 days. Guess what? Not a SINGLE user joined it. I checked the logs, twice. I also ran the server twice, once for a day, the second time for 2 days. No users.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 19:58:04 PM »
Well, Assist has been on Sourceforge since 2009, I know it was "Deploy" before that and it wasn't hosted on Sourceforge at first. I would guess that mAAp has been a part of Assist (and thus 2.5) since 2008. If that's not enough time for something to catch on, then I don't know how it would ever catch on. Even if we're talking just from January 2012, that's almost 6 months of it being a mandatory download.

Hmm, maybe I'm ignorant, but was there any signifiicant 2.5 community before 2.8 died?

Another "test" I did recently was run my mAAp only rotating server (changing maps every 40 minutes) for 2 days. Guess what? Not a SINGLE user joined it. I checked the logs, twice. I also ran the server twice, once for a day, the second time for 2 days. No users.

That's what already has been mentioned: servers don't just start rolling by itself, you mostly have to sit there, and with couple of others also, and only then people will start joining, and snowball effect will take place.

Starting a server with any map and just leaving it will rarely ignite anything.

Offline Alex

« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 20:03:10 PM »
Hmm, maybe I'm ignorant, but was there any signifiicant 2.5 community before 2.8 died?
Depends on the time frame. In the time right before auth went down, not really. A couple of servers were up, but not much.  But 2.5 was still kicking and alive when 2.8.5 was out. We had more people on 2.5 than we do now. We had several tournaments and a lot of clans. The AA we have now is a shell of what 2.5 used to be, even when 2.8.5 was out. That's how many players AA has actually lost.

Offline Calevey

• View Profile
    • SASF Clan
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 20:08:08 PM »

For me six months is really nothing as it feels like a couple of weeks really, but I do understand that as you have worked hard for a long time, you don't want to see servers running mAAp empty and the time feels much more longer. I try to do my part as a regular player and try mAAp maps this week - hopefully bringing some players with me. Just like Pit said, it always needs one or two player online to get things running. We have seen this many many times on SASF servers.
- Getting old, cold and slow -

Offline pit-23

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 20:27:20 PM »
That's how many players AA has actually lost.

Fucking Battlefield and other pussy FPS-es. Those are the real source of evil in this world, i tell ya! ;-DDD.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 20:43:28 PM »
2.5/2.6 had a bit of a player jump when the official map editor came out for 2.8 because we had better maps. And because some people kept leaking custom maps screenshots during 2.7.

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: Avguste
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 22:46:18 PM »
There is much for me to respond and before I go further, I will just say before hand that if what I write offends anyone, well, my apologies. But I am straight shooter and I need to vent. So here it goes:

To Jared

I disagree with you. Looking at what competition does gives a new perspective. As a dev you get too involved in your own little world and you may miss things. The new perspective allows to come to the project with new ideas, new things to try.
So again, I disagree with you.

The point of CMS is to showcase the game. There are many games who use this method to showcase the game to visitors. Just one example is http://www.runescape.com/
What RS has done is not necessarily good, not necessarily bad, however it is an example.

Not sure if you took the time to read my previous posts. If not, let me clarify that I am very much familiar with how all the forums and CMS softwares out there work. I have created many websites (including the ones as part of my consulting business), moderated many different websites. So I know very well how those softwares I mentioned work.

I do marketing for a living. Two of the most important aspects of marketing:

-name recognition. In the case of a game, that means having players aware of the game. Both new and old players. In the case of Assist, having players aware of the existence of Assist.
-direct marketing. Direct marketing means that you have to actually reach to players, to players communities and introduce them to Assist and so forth.

To Spanky

reward should be the growth of the community. Many of us have done and continue to do stuff for games free of charge. It is part of the deal when you volunteer, when one wants to contribute.

Concerning the mAAp maps, as far our servers are concerned, just looking at our Dallas 1 server, 34 % of the time the server is on Ice.
But I do understand your frustration as well.

To all

Yes, Assist may have been on Sourceforge since 2009, but that doesn't mean anything. Sourceforge is about development. No player would go there without a good reason.
And talking about the time since January 2012, from personal experience, from looking at forums at Battletracker and other sites, the only reason people find about Assist is either because they stumble upon one of the threads or recently because some of us go on forums and advertise and answer questions about Assist.
Bottom line is that doesn't work well. To have a constantly growing community, there is need for constant advertising, And advertising doesnt need to cost any money.

Bottom line is that at end of the day, it needs to be decided whether the community and the dev want for Assist to grow or not. And if it is a yes, then all legal means should be used to grow the community.

Finally finish this long post by saying this. Personally, I would like to see the Assist/2.5 community grow and I do what I can to help with that. This includes submitting ideas/suggestions/proposals.
One may not like my ideas and that is just fine, but don't just say "your suggestions suck". Say "your suggestions suck" and then go ahead and post your own ideas and suggestions on how to grow Assist/2.5.

By the way, I am still waiting to see some constructive posts on how to further grow Assist/2.5

Done venting!!

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 23:33:25 PM »
To Spanky

reward should be the growth of the community. Many of us have done and continue to do stuff for games free of charge. It is part of the deal when you volunteer, when one wants to contribute.
Working for free is fine as long as people actually use your work. Do you see what I mean? There needs to be some motivation, some reward. Bluntly, that means either money or users that appreciate AND USE your work.

Yes, Assist may have been on Sourceforge since 2009, but that doesn't mean anything. Sourceforge is about development. No player would go there without a good reason.
Right. I mentioned Sourceforge as a timeline. Before mAAp was integrated into Assist, there were absolutely no users aside from us devs because it was incredibly hard to manage the files and get noobs to do it properly. But, from the moment mAAp was integrated into Assist (about 3-4 years ago, a bit before Jonny put it on Sourceforge), there hasn't been a significant increase. Over those years several of us, not just myself, have created the mAAp maps, graphics, videos and various websites dedicated to it. We have advertised many places that are in the heart of the 2.5 community yet very few people play them.

This post sums up my point. I'm not mad at you august, I'm not mad at anybody else. I'm disappointed, let down and tired of this cycle.

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday, May 15, 2012, 23:54:32 PM »
Spanky, I definitely understand where you are coming from and as I said, I understand the frustration.
As i mentioned, our Dallas server 1 is about 34 % of the time on a mAAp map.
But as others have said, having a server on the mAAp files doesn't create gaming. Seeing someone in a server that is what attracts other players.

On the advertisement issue, advertising to the same old folks is not a recipe for success. Bring in new blood, new players who may or may not have heard of Americas Army. Get the name of Assist out there by posting the info on any gaming websites, have banner exchanges with other gaming communities or gaming sites.

That is also where my suggestions for the website come in. When visiting a game site, people want to see immediately the game action, not read forums. Oh, and while on the subject of forums, I would also suggest to restrict the reading access of guests.

Jared

« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 00:16:21 AM »
Okay so let me tell you where I come from. I'm not just some kid that knows how to code or use photoshop. I have worked and developed marketing campaigns, advertising and websites for Skyy Spirits (Skyy Vodka), ESPN, Redbull, XFS, and some fortune 500 companies but I'm not here to compare dick sizes ( clearly skrewy would win )

Looking at competition is bad, you should never let your decision or actions be determined by what they do, if you do you will fail. Its a common business mentality that " they're doing it, so we should to". The reason to not follow competition is each product relates to different psychographics and demographics. You should always set your own goals and your own metrics to measure success.

That's fine that you have knowledge of forum software and web dev. So does my 6 year old neighbor. ( sorry for the personal attack ) Now lets step back for a second, marketing & site features are far from the same. New site features will result in a miniscule ROI for any marketing. The point is to get people in game not to join the site.

As you said that you do marketing for a living I question your understanding of that by what you say the two most important aspects of marketing are. Those actually arn't two different things, they are one in the same. How do you plan to get name recognition without directly connecting with people?..

I understand your message tho, please don't think I'm ignorant of what you are saying but promotion is the last thing when it comes to marketing.

The number one thing in marketing is product, you have nothing without. Is the product worth using, will users take the time to buy/download/invest into that and why?

If you want to do real marketing start there...not with website features.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 00:20:38 AM by Jared »

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 00:33:52 AM »
name recognition for a person or a product is done the same as everything: advertising and promotion.
We have a marketable product. AA2.5 is marketable just fine.  Website is an integral part of any marketing/advertising/promotion. You could have a great product, but a site that is not appropriately tailored will do nothing.  While you can have a great site, poor product and tons of downloads.
Yes, the point is to get people in game, however you cant separate site and game. Both site and game are tight together.
And how much of a result you get from new site features depend on the feature and how the marketing is done.

You seem to have a good background of the business (both marketing and gaming). Since you don't like any of my suggestions, how about you open a thread and post your suggestions/ideas on how to grow the Assist community?
I never said my ideas/suggestions are perfect, however at least I have constructive suggestions and ideas.

Like I said in my previous post, I am getting sick of people who write "this sucks", " I don't agree", but then no one is posting any ideas/suggestions on how to bring in more people (new players and old players).

Offline Alex

« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 01:11:43 AM »
This is your problem, Americas army 2.5 is a terrible looking old game. The only reason people play it is nostalgia / dislike of other games. I highly doubt any new players would pick this game up unless they are 13 years old and looking for a free to play game and frankly, I dont want to be in a community overun with kids. Give up on the advertising, its not going to work.
This is something I wanted to say. AA is a very old game and doesn't have much appeal to gamers due to bigger and better games. The majority of the population we have are players that have played AA for a long time and don't want to move on to other games. I don't think advertising is going to do much for it.

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 01:21:31 AM »
True that compared to the newer games, AA2.5 is not that, however it is still have much qualities and much fun for players.  You both say that advertising is not going to work. My answer is when has advertising been fully tried? The only advertising I have seen is posts on BT forums.  There are many more ways and locations to advertise than the BT forums.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, May 16, 2012, 01:31:27 AM »
There are many more ways and locations to advertise than the BT forums.

Get to it then! This isn't a monarchy! You don't need approval for spreading the word. Plenty of people have taken it upon themselves to share, the first that comes to mind is the guy that created the Assist torrent.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager