Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Lazy Lads Are Being Called Out!  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Dialects

Lazy Lads Are Being Called Out!
« on: Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 22:50:56 PM »
From time to time, I will consciously put some thought into what we could do with Headshot to make it a better/more interesting place. Apparently, as we had the opportunity to realise in previous discussions, we all sink towards the same thinking; "What now?" --We have all been hanging together for great while and that's been great fun. I was seventeen/eighteen when most of you first spoke to me. I am 21 now. You make the math.

Not only do we have the cheer will and drive to do something, as we also have the talent. I consider myself active in the art field, as I'm constantly trying to improve my skills and keeping a regular pace so that I never get rusty and take on a loss of skill. I do slack down sometimes, but not as often as I do otherwise. Dennis suggested a T-Shirt business. It was a nice idea, but hardly doable without being too much of a burden to either me or Dennis himself; as we are probably the most knowledge in Photoshop within the community.

I defy you all to bring forth the goodness of brainstorming. Go for it. Chill some ideas on your head and share them up. If we end up coming with a good idea and decide to take it as a project, better even! It would be great to have the old fellas reuniting now, wouldn't it?

You know you want it.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

-Delta-

Re: Lazy Lads Are Being Called Out!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 23:30:13 PM »
I think we should all put are heads together and make a game. But, that's just me.  :)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 19, 2010, 23:56:42 PM »
Quadruple board Monopoly. Call it Quadropoly. The worlds longest game just got 4 times longer.

Seriously though, Dann brings up something good. We always come together towards one idea, kind of melt away, come back and ask about what to do. Thinking of some 'project' would be fun mainly because I'm basing this off of working with everyone on mAAp.

As for a 'project', this is a pretty critical part. I originally suggested a t-shirt business because I knew we all had some design sense and way to realize our ideas onto a shirt wouldn't be too hard. But the actual realizing would be between Dann and myself, hmm.

We could try and meditate everyday until we can nonlocally communicate with each other. That'd be pretty fucking rad.

-Delta-

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 00:11:41 AM »
By the way, what happened to Jonny's AA Classic idea?

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 00:16:45 AM »
It is a total of 0.0015% complete with 0 current contributers. :)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/464376/GameShots/ArmyOps%202010-03-10%2021-40-50-70.png

While I totally agree with Dann and Blueblaster about remembering mAAp and how that project brought us all together and was extremely fun, I don't know what the replacement is. Outside of UnrealEd 2, I have really no skills that would go good towards an online project. Not to mention I become a complete controlling and demanding class a a-hole when joined in a project :)
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 00:19:08 AM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 01:12:21 AM »
That's why we should develop new skills. I'm pretty sure that before mAAp, we had 0 skills in the areas we are almost god-like now.

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 01:23:55 AM »
I am starting a programing (C++ and other stuff) and a web development class on monday so I'll contribute what ever I can to what ever project this community comes up with. I like Deltas idea of our own game. Some thing based off the ue2 engine. Not sure what type of game it would be but I think its a good idea and I'll try and think up some thing for it.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline Dialects

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 09:55:31 AM »
I like the idea of creating a game. I have always liked it, actually. Realistically though, would any of you be willing to put that much effort to it? I know I am. I know Dennis would, even if just for a limited period of time. Nate will bring it down to "It's either Unreal 2 or I'm out!" -Sad but true. Delta and Knight seem to be up for the challenge. Positive.

Let's say the game is on and everyone listed above is onboard. What kind of game are we up to create? Are we to code our own Editor or use someone's else? How would our game be any different than the current games on-market? As you might have realized, there is a lot to be thought and naturally, that too, will consume us time. Don't be tricked, though. If we really get down to making this, we should have a sincere and consistent idea of what we want to create, in what terms and for what purpose.

Either way; I would like to hear what you think.

FYI: I do have one condition: Alexandre XVIII is not to be apart of the Development Team.

« Last Edit: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 09:57:56 AM by Dann »
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 12:15:38 PM »
Ive got it. The game. We remake Red Dawn as a game! If you haven't seen the movie you really need to.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/

For my part I could at least get a script going. And possibly work out some screen play for cut scene's.
Single player would be the story line from the movie and multi-play(if we did one) would be wolverines v. russians/cubans in various deathmatch/tdm/ctf modes.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 12:26:28 PM by Knight »
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

-Delta-

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 13:01:00 PM »
If we were to create a game, I think, for an editor/game engine we should use something open source. That way if we need to code our own features into the engine it won't come down to reverse engineering, and of course the added bonus of it being free. Also, with an open source engine you usually get Windows, Mac, and Linux support. A list of engines I know of the top of my head: DarkPlaces, Cube, ioquake3, and CrystalSpace. DarkPlaces and ioquake3 are based off the Quake 3 game engine.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 13:43:41 PM »
Delta, you talk like you aren't developing a game :) Why not use yours?

Dann, you know me too well :P But, I might be willing to learn a new engine if it means more success and fun than mAAp was.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 14:01:06 PM »
I think that, with two coders onboard, making our own Game Engine might not be a bad idea, at all. Obviously, it will be considerable more demanding and time-consuming for the coders themselves, at least until the need for design, UIs, buttons and all the fancy stuff in regards to the Engine's appearance. At this stage, Dan, Kody, Dennis and myself will be involved. Nate could, as we are busy with creating the engine, work on bringing enhancements to the way we code, suggest scripts, add functions, and aid to create an easy-and-effective Game Engine. We could consider him the Researcher.

It just hit me; what if we came up with a new gamestyle while we are at it? Let's mix FPS with something else! Create a whole new kind of gaming experience is something that would add a great value to this project we are dwelling on. It would be very benefitting to the whole thing if we started addressing these kind of topics in our responses. It might make certain fellas *cough* Nate *cough* take interest.

:)

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 14:52:20 PM »
This is just my opinion (as with any other post I make) so take it for what you want.

The funnest games/game styles I've played are the following:
Half Life 2 - This game brought a lot to the table. It is a FPS but mixed in with a sci-fi but believable story-line. Physics is a big part in the game and indeed a very big part of why I enjoy it. The lesson here is physics and story-line.
Medal of Honor Airborne - What made this game great were the effects and the high level of realism. There were a lot of goosebumps moments. While we can't do such a thorough job in realism, there's a lot to learn from the effects.
Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway - The campaign for this game was so-so. What made it excellent for me was the gameplay. It was regular FPS with added 3rd person view and some commanding. I generally hate strategy games but the mix on this game was just perfect.

I know, even if I can't code worth a crap or use another engine to save my life, I can at least provide ideas. I've been around the block, so to speak, with games.

Offline Alex

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 15:02:57 PM »
Something that I find interesting would be mixing an FPS and an RTS. No one has really tried it because I guess it is too big of a risk for developer. Something like you tell your units where to move and then you can play the battle as a soldier. This way you get the RTS feel but the battle is still somewhat in your hands. It would be fairly difficult to implement in online play however. We could also make it something like ghost recon where you are a squad leader and you can tell your squad mates where to go. Just some ideas.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 15:58:54 PM »
Thanks for the input, guys. A few things, though:

1# Who is willing to work on this project and what forms the Development Team?
2# Who is responsible for what (roughly) and what needs to be learned?
3# What kind of game are we onto and how to make it special?
4# Hint to a name for the project?

My answers are as follow:

1# I am. The Development Team should, in my humble opinion, remain open at this point in time. I believe that, once the concept of the game has been discussed, recruiting possible interested developers might be an easier job. Once there's a story-line, a concept, and a fair great deal of details and remnants of our intentions, people will show motivation towards helping this coming out of the ground (I hope!).

2# I would not mind being responsible for the project as a whole and its structure (i.e:. the story-line, the characters enhancement, the visuals, design and illustrative duties, art work, as well as any graphic-related aspect, sound effects, image treatment, and so on) I might have to learn more of 3D to be as helpful as I want/expect myself to be, though.

3# I think enriching the experience of FPS is a must. Curiously, I also happen to be a big fan of war [live!] strategy (different from the usual strategy/roleplay war-game) . In other words, command your own team/squad, team play, advanced and enhanced game experience, accurate and detailed game statistics, mentally-demanding missions, implementation of physics to the closest to reality we can, and the list goes on. We don't want to get too much on the player's way, but we want for each of his gaming sessions to feel different; innovative and non-cyclical. I also fancy the idea of creating a game where you vest the vessel and life of your own character, and evolve further on the game by taking trainings, set records, attend army/strategic school, are able to buy your own gear (weapons, grenades, bulletproof jackets, etc) --Basically, a realistic game in which the story mode can take as many routes as your options allows them to. Sounds complex, but not impossible.

4# No clue; Classy Rebels just popped into my mind. Then again, no clue why.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager