Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Lazy Lads Are Being Called Out!  (Read 4654 times)

-Delta-

Re: Lazy Lads Are Being Called Out!
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 22:33:49 PM »
I still thought my game idea was to die for. Basically you're a cube, you have guns, shields, power generators, and whatnot. You start off with basic guns, and as you progress you get more money. You get money by damaging or killing other players, the more damage you inflict the more money you get. With more money you buy better guns and more power. With more power you have stronger shields, and with stronger shields you can inflict for damage before getting killed. And when you're killed you start all over again, you lose everything but your money and stored items. Simple, yet awesome.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 23:24:59 PM »
Hi,
I just got home today and read this whole thread. It seems that everyone seems to be jumping for the moderatly-big rings. Why are we starting with trying to make semi-complicated 3D FPS/RTS when most of us don't even really know the underlying basics of a game engine? Personally, I would wanna start pretty small so I could learn the basic concepts of the engine so that later I can just build over it to improve it (I would like my experience to be well rounded so I can code, design, write, draw, stylize, whatever because I know theres people who can do that, and I wanna beat them). And when I mean small, I mean we start with like a 2D game or something with classic/overused objective. Or a very simple 3D game that starts off as a simulator so we can get the world mechanics right.

I know we're all smart, but I think we may be starting a little too high.

-Delta-

« Reply #32 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 23:33:40 PM »
I've never made a 2D game, I wouldn't even know how. I started off with 3D, and my first game was a Breakout clone.

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #33 on: Friday, May 21, 2010, 04:06:51 AM »
As to where I think making our own game would be amazing. I just don't see it happening in any type of ok time frame. We are going to spend YEARS just getting a good working engine. I think we should tear AA apart and make it our own. New guns, player models, maps, game play, menu and yes some sort of story mode. AA is some thing we are all familiar with and I think we should start there.
« Last Edit: Friday, May 21, 2010, 04:13:20 AM by Knight »
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline Dialects

« Reply #34 on: Friday, May 21, 2010, 05:34:57 AM »
I think I can speak for the majority of people involved in this project when I say AA is past. Personally, I would much rather spend years and years doing this entire thing as opposed to getting the shortcut and just floating on with an easier method. Not only would it raise legal issues as it wouldn't be as funny of an experience as it can be otherwise.

Just my opinion, though.
So; what's ontrack for us?
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #35 on: Friday, May 21, 2010, 05:58:29 AM »
Just putting the thought out there ^_^ I personally don't know whats next for this project. I start coding on monday with assembly so I guess thats where I start.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #36 on: Friday, May 21, 2010, 06:22:37 AM »
Before reading this, you should know that it's late and I'm tired.

For me, the whole AA experience was a ton of fun and I met a a lot of people and I honestly don't think I would be where I am today without it. But if there's 1 thing I've learned, it's this: No matter how much you try, you can't re-create those good times. People change and sometimes it's for the better and sometimes not but either way, things won't be the same. I can't keep trying to think that it will be like it once was, I can't keep thinking that mAAp might be successful. The consequence of this: As much as I enjoy UnrealEd, I can't and shouldn't devote time towards an AA-based modification game.

So where does this leave Spanky? The same place I was before Alex came around again. The bottom line is that I would only work on something that was built around UnrealEd 2, preferably AA. Why is this? Well, I spent around 4 years (probably more, time lengths get hazy for us old people) or so using it on and off. It took me that long to learn the things I know today which isn't everything. I also had a lot of fun with some great people that I'm lucky enough to keep in touch with today. Those classic days are gone, the engine is old and so is the game, and the troubles of maturity and being an adult are upon me. Even among friends and with the intent to rekindle the old times, starting something as complex as a game, new, from the ground up just doesn't make sense to me from a time standpoint. I honestly have other things I would rather be doing, especially if it's an unpaid job (true, as bad as it sounds).

I'll break the reasons (not excuses) down, if I'm not making my point clear, as to why I won't participate in whatever, if anything, emerges from this melting pot of ideas I see churning.
My limited knowledge - What? Yea, it's limited and generic. Some have thought I could/should get a job doing level editing. I don't have anywhere NEAR the requirements to even apply and I really have no desire to. I also have near no motivation to learn anything that has to do with game design. That's mostly because I'm a hardware guy. I clean, repair, upgrade and refurbish computers for a small living. I like to build, customize then enjoy that hardware. I'm not an artist or a creative thinker.
Time - It's not as abundant as it once was when I was fresh out of high school with nothing to do aside from nights filled with Bridge Crossing and Pipeline whoring. It's all about managing it and doing things that matter the most. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVED every minute of mAAp but, come on, look at that effort/reward ratio.

Bottom line: I'd love to, but can't let myself join in (assuming I was invited into whatever idea this is, if it exists).

I'll end this with something light:
Klaasillu: That's got to be something terribly big, damn!
Spanky: thats what she said
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 15:20:53 PM »
lol, I was going to post in here again cuz I got curious if I killed the thread or idea with my downer of a speech.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

bluechill

« Reply #38 on: Thursday, May 27, 2010, 19:32:56 PM »
I'm actually working on my game now with some coders if anyone wants to help ...... :)  It isn't for this community or really any other community.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #39 on: Friday, May 28, 2010, 20:33:01 PM »
Everyone's has their slacky conscience kicking in and out every once in a while. It was rewarding to see so many people have the drive to create something off from the ground, though. Even if we end up not doing anything at all, this is already great!
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager