Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Lazy Lads Are Being Called Out!  (Read 4658 times)

-Delta-

Re: Lazy Lads Are Being Called Out!
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 16:10:15 PM »
Delta, you talk like you aren't developing a game :) Why not use yours?

Spanky, I didn't bring up mine because it's currently in pieces. I started rewriting some of the base code then got sidetracked. But, if we were to write our own engine, though, we could definitely start from my game-like engine.

Offline Alex

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 16:20:38 PM »
I have no skills to work on a project of this sort.

-Delta-

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 16:25:37 PM »
Killaman, don't you have photoshop skills?

Offline Alex

« Reply #18 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 16:30:40 PM »

I have photoshop, I wouldn't say that I have skills though seeing as most of the people on this site are much more familiar with it and better than me.

-Delta-

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 18:25:24 PM »

I have photoshop, I wouldn't say that I have skills though seeing as most of the people on this site are much more familiar with it and better than me.

Actually, I've never used Photoshop before, so you're ahead of me.  :)

bluechill

« Reply #20 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 18:32:41 PM »
As to Delta's suggestion why not make a game?  I mean seriously it would be fun.  We could create our own game-engine or use an existing one like zenilib, see sourceforge project.  I'm up to helping code that :)  I'll even make the design document with your guy's help.

I mean I'm already working on a design document for my new game why not just make it a community game?

PS.  Dann don't be a douche to me for this

Offline Dialects

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 19:06:33 PM »
Don't forget to answer these:

1# Who is willing to work on this project and what forms the Development Team?
2# Who is responsible for what (roughly) and what needs to be learned?
3# What kind of game are we onto and how to make it special?
4# Hint to a name for the project?

Meanwhile; Alex, there is nothing in you that I dislike, that you haven't yet. The problem with you has always been more or less the same. You brag, brag and brag --countless times per week-- and act exuberantly higher than you actually are. Old saying fits: "You talk more than you do". I have absolutely no problem against you. I do not dislike you. I do not despise you. I do not care about you. I am neutral; not because that inflicts some sort of pleasure towards the outcome of your silly actions, but because there is nothing that motivates me to be/act otherwise.

If you want to be helpful, I truly suggest you take on a different approach. Par example, what do you have on you that you could show to us? Do you model? If yes, can I see any of your models. If you were to be a Developer of the project we are sort-of coming up with, how would you act? Why should we start using your game engine if the discussion thus far has lead us to believe we should either come up with a new one, or use Delta's?

Bottom line is; you are constantly putting yourself in the centre of the donut, figuratively talking. Lose it out. Focus on the intention and not in the result of it. Stop acting on the basis of "What am I going to get out of this?" and start acting on the basis of "How will this contribute to your life?" instead. Here's a funny yet honest and humble fact: The more you try to have people looking at you, the less they'll look.

I am not an attacker. I am not attacking. I am defending, inspite of what comes my way. I don't like it. I don't like this playground you walk on. Be honest and clear. There's no need for acts or pretentions. Be yourself and let that prove you are worth our time and friendship. Haven't you noticed? No one here is power-hungry (expect Nate whenever he's involved in a project!) or attention-whore. Most of us were in the past; some more than others. Simply that.

Don't take me offensively. I'm never offensive. I'm just blunt, straight-to-the-point and honest.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 19:21:33 PM »
Haven't you noticed? No one here is power-hungry (expect Nate whenever he's involved in a project!) or attention-whore. Most of us were in the past; some more than others. Simply that.

Maturity for the win.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

bluechill

« Reply #23 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 19:22:18 PM »
1# Who is willing to work on this project and what forms the Development Team?
2# Who is responsible for what (roughly) and what needs to be learned?
3# What kind of game are we onto and how to make it special?
4# Hint to a name for the project?

1) Anyone who is willing to help and wants to help.  I don't care who helps so long as they have enough experience to know what they are talking about.  The Dev Team will be made up of coders, modelers, photoshoppers, texturers, creative thinkers, planners, anyone who is capable of helping out in one form or another.

2) The coders will be responsible for the game-core and logic, modelers, making models, photoshoppers, texturing said models, creative thinkers, enhancing the game play and story.  People will need to learn a new engine or help design a new engine and in the process get familiar with it.  People will also need to know how to model, how to texture models, how to code in C/C++, how to code in C#, how to code portable code, or how to be an out of the box thinker.

[EDIT]
C++/C for backend
C# or C++ for server
[/Edit]

3) Here is the game concept I sent to Delta who liked it.

This game is a massively multiplayer online first person shooter, MMOFPS.  The basic concept is that you play the role of a soldier who can rise to any rank he wants and can do almost anything in battle, from flying planes, piloting submarines, being an infantry man, navy seal, special ops, etc.  In multiplayer the player’s goal is to rank up and then eventually be able to command units, both human and AI.  The battles take place over huge distances.  For example, a battle could be fought on the island of Madagascar, with the entire island open for battle.  In this game there is no such thing as friendly fire turned off.  This game is a war simulator.  You will be able to purchase upgrades for your character such as more ammo etc.  In the game there are Leaders/Emperors.  These people control the battles.  They monitor the battlefield and tell people where to attack and how to attack.  These commands are pasted down to other players who then control another set of players and manage them.  Then those players tell the squad leaders what to do and the squad leaders lead their squad to doing that.  The players do not have to follow their squad leaders though; neither does anyone in the game.  The emperor can send his troops to do anything.  This game is about skill AND trust.  When you gain skill you can rank up but only if you earn the trust of your superiors.  At the start AI’s control the battles and are emperors but the AI’s and the eventual human can overthrow eventually human emperors too.  Human players can actually become spies too and attack and kill their own teammates.  This game is supposed to simulate mass combat with AI and humans.  You can also unlock tech upgrades as emperor and go to other planets and dominate the universe.  You can also have battles in space as well.  The same rules apply.  The battles also contain hundreds upon hundreds of players.  This is really supposed to be a war simulator.

4) I duno, Battalion 5?
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 19:29:04 PM by bluechill »

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 21:14:49 PM »
First problem with that idea is getting people in the game. Unless we get this idea picked up by a major publisher its going to be hard to get a player base that big. for when there is only a few people in the game say 20-30 the game is going to suck cause its so huge. Second problem I see is getting a server that would support that huge of a game. We would have to buy our own box just to run one server and I don't know about any one else but I'm broke. Third this game sounds a lot like the battlefield series.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 21:21:17 PM by Knight »
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

bluechill

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 21:40:52 PM »
First problem with that idea is getting people in the game. Unless we get this idea picked up by a major publisher its going to be hard to get a player base that big. for when there is only a few people in the game say 20-30 the game is going to suck cause its so huge. Second problem I see is getting a server that would support that huge of a game. We would have to buy our own box just to run one server and I don't know about any one else but I'm broke. Third this game sounds a lot like the battlefield series.

1) We can have AI too

2) It really isn't like battlefield, well in my mind isn't.  In battlefield you can't control subs or airplanes etc. You can control helis and some boats but not to this extent.

Offline Alex

« Reply #26 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 21:42:07 PM »

1) We can have AI too

2) It really isn't like battlefield, well in my mind isn't.  In battlefield you can't control subs or airplanes etc. You can control helis and some boats but not to this extent.

You can fly jets in battlefield 2....

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 21:57:34 PM »
This game is a war simulator.  You will be able to purchase upgrades for your character such as more ammo etc.
Do soldiers buy ammo upgrades in real life?

4) I duno, Battalion 5?
What's version 2 going to be called, Battalion 6?
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Not Cwunk
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 21:57:52 PM »
I know many of you have had some conflict with Crunk in the past in one way or another, but he does have some experience in almost everything. I haven't spoken to him and I doubt that he has seen this thread. Your call, just throwing it out there.
Hi I'm Archeh I like too have fun online playing shoot-'em-up video games

Offline Dialects

« Reply #29 on: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 22:10:01 PM »
Got the wrong priorities sorted, have we? I am of the opinion there is no point in discussion so far ahead without -first- getting a solid base of what kind of game is it that we would be down to create and how would the game run in single mode. After we have came up with a solid understanding of the game's concept and style, we can start addressing further features and additional content.

Forget the airplanes, the tanks, the cars, the submarines. That is all superflous at this point in time. We neither have the man-power nor the skill-level to create such immense games. It is fine to dream, sure; but do it with moderate belief. Forget the story-line and character concept. Creating a game is already an hard thing to do. Don't make it even harder. Stay focused and sharp. I believe what needs to be addressed primarily has a major concern to the kind of game we are unto creating. After we get that down, we'll then start thinking on gameplay for a single player, on story-mode. Narrow it down to the most simple things. A room (cube), some obstacles (more cubes), a character (sphere) and the enemy (cone). No textures. No sounds. Test. Test. Code more. Test. Gameplay structure. Think. Test. Code. Code. Test, and so on.

Will create boards for this project, as well as have separate categories for specific subjects and whatnot.

EDIT: I haven't had any problem with Crunk before. Expect for his awkward lack of maturity (temperamental, for the most part). Have him seeing the thread, and if he is interested, we'll know as he replies back.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 22:12:11 PM by Dann »
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager