• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Art
« on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 00:45:41 AM »
This conversation will have branched through the discussion of skateboarding and football from the picture thread. It's a discussion of what is art?

[21:39] Kody: and no it is an expression of art
[21:39] Nate: ehhhhh
[21:39] Nate: i guess it depends on your definition of art
[21:39] Kody:
[21:39] Kody: tell me thats not the most creative thing you have ever seen a person do
[21:40] Nate: the beginning of the video is imo "art", the tricks are just tricks
[21:40] Nate: NOW...
[21:40] Nate: if you're inventing the tricks... that might be art
[21:40] Nate: er creativity
[21:41] Nate: but i dunno enough to say whether or not they're new
[21:41] Kody: then you could say, art is just a bunch of lines put together in an interesting way
[21:41] Nate: again, it depends on a definition of art
[21:41] Kody: and yes that man invented all the tricks he did in that video
[21:41] Nate: ok then thats creative
[21:41] Nate: i wouldnt call it art but it is creative
[21:42] Nate: now if he was just following someone else's tricks. that's just a difficult task he wants to overcome
[21:42] Nate: it wouldnt be creative nor art in that case
[21:43] Nate: i see art as expressing the soul (although i don't believe in that). performing tricks that someone else has done... it's like climing mt everest. it's a difficult task that rewards with self-confidence and the feeling of being proud
[21:43] Kody: hell they have "creative dance" which is considered art
[21:43] Nate: not art imo
[21:44] Kody: what if I choose to express my soul through the act of riding a skateboard? (which do)

Opinions? What is art to you?
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

Re: Art
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 00:49:35 AM »
I wish I could come up with a deep and intellectual explanation of what art is to me, but I've got nothing.

So I'll just leave the dictionary.com definition.

–noun
the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 00:52:56 AM »
but I've got nothing.

No comment on the original post?

Offline Alex

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 00:57:34 AM »
No comment on the original post?

I do not believe sports are art. I will just leave it at that.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 01:03:46 AM »
I do not believe sports are art. I will just leave it at that.

Get involved bitch. You're sure passionate about the other thread. Disagree and prove your point while being respectful. That's what debating is all about.

mans, maybe art isn't the right word. Maybe creativity or something else?

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 01:03:56 AM »
I wish I could come up with a deep and intellectual explanation of what art is to me, but I've got nothing.

So I'll just leave the dictionary.com definition.

–noun
the quality, production, expression, or realm, according to aesthetic principles, of what is beautiful, appealing, or of more than ordinary significance.

By the definition you posted skateboarding is an art.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline Alex

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 01:05:20 AM »
Get involved bitch. You're sure passionate about the other thread. Disagree and prove your point while being respectful. That's what debating is all about.

mans, maybe art isn't the right word. Maybe creativity or something else?

I don't have a strong opinion about it.

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 01:26:57 AM »
Ok if doing some thing creative is art then ANY THING IS ART. Which is how it should be. If you are making statues out of broken monitors or skateboarding. Its all creative its all ART. Art is the expression of creativity.

I really can't wait to see what Dann has to say about this. Being the only "real" artist here he should have a real creative take on this :P
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Not Cwunk
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 01:59:53 AM »
Everything is art. Some things are just more artly. Yup, that's the word I'm gonna use.

Anywho, I don't see skateboarding as an expression of anything other than your teen angst.
Hi I'm Archeh I like too have fun online playing shoot-'em-up video games

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 02:32:54 AM »
Dann is gonna say shit.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 08:50:24 AM »
–noun

The term "Art" takes a new meaning every day that goes by. It no is longer anchored to its original definition, nor to its historical context.

What is "Art"? Although there is not one strict definition, one could say "Art" is the act of Expression and Creation and any variant, consequent or resultant that might derive from --therefrom, thereby, theresough, therewilled, thereof, thereintended--  such participative acts. However simple and effective this answer may seem, the basis from which the fundament is taken from are ironically dubious and pertinent. At this point in time, if we were to analyse the meaning of Expression and Creation (abstract concepts) being used to define Art (a broader abstract concept), we would forever remain in doubt. And we do. Humanity does.

In the 21th century, the world has learned to perceive Art as everything. It no longer has to be beautiful, appealing or pleasant. It no longer has to be real and touchable. It no longer revolutionises human thinking and life style. It no longer serves a purpose other than one's personal/entity goals. Back when Art was actively introduced in the world (late 30s, with a following boost at mid 40s; following the History of Art patent in Europe), painters were paid to portray entire families on a canvas, and a memoir was given birth to. Designers came up with designs for products, cars, and so on. Art had a commercial purpose and it was highly creative in that sense. Any particular self-development, artistically wise, would have never had such a big impact as one self's creations do today. This goes to say that Art, being purposeless, has become a tool incorrectly used by many. In what way? We all ways you can image. In all the twisted ways human regularly does things.

So what is "Art"? Expression and Creation. The honest and legit expression and creation.

On-topic: There is a lot of "Art" in Skateboarding, but to Skateboard in itself is far from having anything to do with Art. Skateboarding (the act of) is a sport, skateboarding (the concept/design/style/tricks/ideal) is a derivation of the multi-meaningless-self-attributed-meanings Art.

I partially agree with mans. I don't think words such as "Art" and "Artist" should be stricken from the English Language, although I do think they should have a big cut on their meaning, as well as how people use it and how frequently it is used to elude people onto thinking bigger of certain things that sometimes are just plain simple to grasp.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 15:35:24 PM »
why the hell do we have 2 art topics dam it
Hmm?

I think I'm pretty much agreeing with Dann on this.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 15:36:05 PM »
No, one is a skateboarding topic, and this one is supposedly about art. Someone probably split the topics.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 30, 2010, 15:39:27 PM »
Someone probably split the topics.

Guilty. I was talking with Knight about the football & skateboarding and the subject came up that he thought skateboarding is very artistic and all about expressing one's self. I wanted to quote our discussion in IM and post it here to see what people think art is and see if skateboarding and similar activities would qualify.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, November 02, 2010, 19:48:09 PM »
What an amazing input this thread has had.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager