Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Antioxidants = Bullshit?  (Read 6455 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Antioxidants = Bullshit?
« on: Wednesday, September 15, 2010, 23:25:33 PM »
In the BBC Horizon documentary titled "Don't Grow Old" they go about with the research people have been carrying out and one thing that multiple experiements found was that the science behind antioxidants had no affect on animal life. See, antioxidants are all about oxidative stress: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidative_stress which people assumed that more oxidative stress means a shorter lifespan yet the research these people are doing/have done proves that is has no relation to lifespan at all. For example, naked mole rats are of the same size as mice and of the same diet yet have around 3x oxidative stress than a mouse and live considerably longer. They get more scientific than that but that's just one basic thing I remember.

BBC is great, too bad we're only handed BBC America that has crappy shows like that one fag that hosts the talk show.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Antioxidants = Bullshit?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 15, 2010, 23:44:07 PM »
Time to tell all my friends. BBC should be more well known here. There's usually great shows on BBC.

S/T

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 10:19:33 AM »
You maybe right and wrong Spanky. There are a few foods which do correlate to a longer lifespan - and these foods just happen to have large amounts of anti-oxidants in them. So it maybe the scientists thinking its the anti-oxidants that cause the long life or it maybe something else. Off the top of my head, a few things that have been proven (in long scientific tests) to have an effect on the lifespans of the test group were green tea, and currently theres studies underway to test the longevity effects of  dark chocolate (One of the longest lived verified people in the world, Jeanne Calment was said to eat an entire kilo of chocolate every week) and red wine.

Anyway, thus far, the only thing i'm getting at, is the only two things proven to extend ones lifespan thus far are (alot of) green tea (daily) and calorie restriction (which is unappealing for most, and plain challenging for the rest). It will be interesting to see what the beeb's studies say about antioxidants.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 12:57:07 PM »
Live longer = more tai chi practice

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 13:39:05 PM »
I should also say while there were two different studies going on, the guy that performed the first one was actually trying to prove antioxidants are the key to longer life. He was surprised by the results and will keep trying different methods and more experiments to see if his original findings are true.

I finished watching the program and it was interesting that this one guy experimented with yeast and found that by duplicating this one gene so there were two copies, the yeast lived 30% longer. I guess he did more research and came up with a pill that replicates that. He sold his research to Glaxo Smith Kline for I think it was $720 million dollars. There still needs to be more research but in the mean time, he's been taking this pill so if it's epic, we'll find out in a decade or two.

Jonnym

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 15:06:42 PM »
I'm surprised you Americans have heard of the BBC, You don't normally like this that aren't American. They make some very good shows, be it documentaries or dramas and the reason they make such good shows is because they are a non-profit making organization, They don't have to worry about weather something will get good ratings or make any money because that does not matter, There are not even any adverts on the BBC channels here. However there is a huge downside, Us Brits have to pay TV TAX!! If we own a radio or TV receiver we must pay TV tax costing 90 pound a year, and if you don't pay it enforcement officers come round to you house and search it every now and then to make sure you don't have a TV! But we do get good TV... Free from political or economic influence.
What is BBC America like? Do they have adverts(Commercial breaks)? Do they hype up the shows with fast talking American guys with explosions going off behind him ala FOX NEWS! Do they dub over the voice over guy with an American accent, As they do here other way around?

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 15:09:42 PM »
Jonnym, most of us here are not typical americans. I love the BBC two of my favorite shows of all time are Dr.Who and Top Gear. Its great, I hate american tv networks its all a joke. And no they don't dub over with american voices.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Jonnym

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 15:24:14 PM »
Yep, Jeremy Clarkson is a legend! did you see the one where they went to the US and bought 3 second hand cars, That was my fav episode. Never really got into Dr Who tho.

Offline Alex

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 15:27:38 PM »
Jonnym, most of us here are not typical americans. I love the BBC two of my favorite shows of all time are Dr.Who and Top Gear. Its great, I hate american tv networks its all a joke. And no they don't dub over with american voices.

There is no such thing as a "typical American." We are a country made up of a ton of different people and cultures.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 16:09:12 PM »
I like Killamans answer.

But to answer jonny, the american BBC is the same as yours except that there are commercials for bbc shows and some misc. commercials that show up on almost every network. In case you didn't know American tv commercials are split into network, national, an local. So there are some commercials that only I will see because I live in Chicago and some commercials I see because I am a DISH network customer.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 16:11:15 PM »
I'm surprised you Americans have heard of the BBC, You don't normally like this that aren't American. They make some very good shows, be it documentaries or dramas and the reason they make such good shows is because they are a non-profit making organization, They don't have to worry about weather something will get good ratings or make any money because that does not matter, There are not even any adverts on the BBC channels here. However there is a huge downside, Us Brits have to pay TV TAX!! If we own a radio or TV receiver we must pay TV tax costing 90 pound a year, and if you don't pay it enforcement officers come round to you house and search it every now and then to make sure you don't have a TV! But we do get good TV... Free from political or economic influence.
What is BBC America like? Do they have adverts(Commercial breaks)? Do they hype up the shows with fast talking American guys with explosions going off behind him ala FOX NEWS! Do they dub over the voice over guy with an American accent, As they do here other way around?
While I find this somewhat insulting, I have to agree. I gave up my TV a while back and while it may not be 100% legal or kosher, I download all the TV shows I want to see. We do have satelite TV here but I don't have it hooked up for myself anymore. Even if I did, I couldn't enjoy a lot of the BBC stuff. I watch what I want without commercials, news and other bullshit. It may not be right but I think it's the best way. If I could, there's shows that I'd love to support somehow. I've never really watched BBC America, I just know that it exists and can't possibly compete with the dozen or so BBC channels you guys got over there.

This is true, there's not many average American's on this site. I disagree with all American networks being a joke, I enjoy quite a bit of American programming but again I don't have to deal with advertising and news.

There is no such thing as a "typical American." We are a country made up of a ton of different people and cultures.
This is true as well, but it's also something we American's have to realize about other countries.

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 16:16:19 PM »
The shows the networks show are not the same as the networks them selves. A good 75% of the shows I watch are american.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline Vikraal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 16:40:40 PM »
Legalized Free Online TV from Youtube called YouView in 2011.

Shows Like:
 The White House - Which very few will even watch.
Every World Cup or Live Sport,
Live News,
and what ever People want to advertise.

People who can actually Supply there are Media partners.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 16:44:55 PM by Vikraal »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 16:43:27 PM »
Fuck that, Google should just buy Hulu and re-skin the site to make it look like YouTube :)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 16:51:47 PM »
lmao Sounds beastly Spanky. You should be in charge of that

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager