Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Pre-Server install questions  (Read 2317 times)

Offline [HQR]Joe_Gunn

Pre-Server install questions
« on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 15:36:44 PM »
Hey, I have a Ubuntu server I'm presently setting up with TeamSpeak 3 server and stuff.  I'm considering setting it up with America's Army like I had on my old server years ago. Keep in mind I'm a bit of a Linux noob though I have done this before...

If I setup an AA2.5 assist server is there any chance of getting myself banned while trying to get it working logging in with authentication up/down/on/off etc?

I have former clan mates and friends with no previous accounts I want to have some fun with on the server-password protected,  but I don't want to get myself or any of them banned because I didn't understand the server configuration requirements.  I could just setup 2.5 without assist, but this way I can get them through the training missions first and I want to encourage the new players to keep playing on the official AA2.5 assist servers if they had fun running with us for an evening.

If the process isn't like running through a mine field blindfolded I'll be happy to start on it after this weekend.

Offline ELiZ

Re: Pre-Server install questions
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 16:04:25 PM »
Use the Assist Server Manager.
Basic setup is just 2 mouseclicks, 1 to Create, and 1 to start.

You can Enable cheats, set password and as long as you use the Manager's built in features, there is no risk of getting banned.

Offline [HQR]Joe_Gunn

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 16:24:00 PM »
Cool.  That's encouraging.  Getting VNC server and TS3 servers to start at boot hasn't been.

The server manager is there with the Linux install, right? 

I read the instructions where I install the game first, then assist and then It sounds like I just run the manager and setup my router's port.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 17:06:27 PM »
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, February 05, 2014, 19:23:15 PM »
Cool.  That's encouraging.  Getting VNC server and TS3 servers to start at boot hasn't been.

The server manager is there with the Linux install, right? 

I read the instructions where I install the game first, then assist and then It sounds like I just run the manager and setup my router's port.

One of the advantages of using the Assist Server Manager is that you don't need to do anything else, no manual install, just run the Assist Server Manager, it will download and "Install" everything needed

Offline [HQR]Joe_Gunn

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 06, 2014, 01:06:46 AM »
Thought I had this figured out but now... not so much.

I thought I needed to install the game on the server first like the readme says

http://aa25assist.sourceforge.net/Data/LReadme.txt

Then I download and install the AA2.5assist then run the server manager which sets everything up.  Now, I'm thinking you mean to skip one or more of the downloads above and just do the server manager.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 06, 2014, 02:00:19 AM »
That readme looks like the one for the dedicated server or the one used for the old version of Assist. Either way, ignore it and download the Assist Server Manager from the link Teddy gave you. It should be pretty self-explanatory once you run the program.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline [HQR]Joe_Gunn

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 06, 2014, 02:23:21 AM »
Ok, will do.

I am trying to setup a dedicated server.  I have an Xeon Supermicro Super Workstation running Ubuntu server 13.10

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 06, 2014, 02:30:45 AM »
Are you actually going to start selling the servers or set multiple servers up for people? In that case, it might be better to use the Dedicated setup but if you're going to do a couple servers for yourself or just 1, stick with the Assist Server Manager.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline [HQR]Joe_Gunn

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 06, 2014, 02:34:59 AM »
Yeah, just for me.  I don't have the bandwidth or experience to do this for hire.

Offline [HQR]Joe_Gunn

« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 06, 2014, 02:51:40 AM »
Bummer.  cd to directory with the AssistServerManager file and ran it.  Got this error message.  Gotta go to bed and work tomorrow.

/home/aa25/ASM$ ./AssistServerManager
./AssistServerManager: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm guessing that is a dependency I need to install on my server and not something missing from the assist server manager package.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager