Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: AA2 Development roadmap  (Read 31319 times)

Offline Alex

Re: AA2 Development roadmap
« Reply #60 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 14:35:36 PM »
Brussel's, imagine being the man behind the revival of AA2. Both competitively and public. All you need to do is spare enough dollar to fund some good coders.

Think of it as an investment, when the game is bigger then AA4 and the USA want to buy the code back you'll make a ton of money.
It's not as simple as that. There is no way in hell we would be able to get the source code for AA2. It just won't. happen. We can't make any big changes without the source code.

JonnyM

« Reply #61 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 14:46:10 PM »
Building a new auth system was a big change and we did that without source code.

Offline denial.

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 14:49:39 PM »
It's not as simple as that. There is no way in hell we would be able to get the source code for AA2. It just won't. happen. We can't make any big changes without the source code.

heh, i know its not that easy ;) it is doable. 2.8.5 would attract a huge amount more players, and its more fun to play!

Offline Alex

« Reply #63 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 14:55:00 PM »
heh, i know its not that easy ;) it is doable. 2.8.5 would attract a huge amount more players, and its more fun to play!
No, it's not doable. There is no way we could get the source code to bring back a game they discontinued. It's not going to happen. They're not going to give random people free reign over a game using their America's Army brand. That would be stupid.

JonnyM

« Reply #64 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 14:57:44 PM »
I'm not sure why people prefer playing 2.8 its almost an identical game with a few minor changes.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #65 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 14:59:36 PM »
2.8 has better graphics, more FPS, updated engine, more maps, AI and a few things like that.

Killa, I wouldn't rule out getting the source code. It's unlikely and what could we possibly do with it but I wouldn't say it's impossible.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

« Reply #66 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:18:40 PM »
2.8 has better graphics, more FPS, updated engine, more maps, AI and a few things like that.

Killa, I wouldn't rule out getting the source code. It's unlikely and what could we possibly do with it but I wouldn't say it's impossible.
Like I said, I doubt they would ever let random people use their brand name for a game. Hell, some game companies shut down mods for using their brand name. I doubt they would even consider it.

Offline bRU$seLs.2004-

• waNna sOmethiNg?
    • View Profile
  • AA: .
« Reply #67 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:22:27 PM »
dont know anyting about that code or that work behind that..
if you need money for that code or the coders, give me seriously informations, somebody will check it for me and if it gonna help the community i will pay something.

And denial i dont want to be the man.. i just loved the game and stoped because hackers destroy it. Why should i put my time and money for it in?

If a new anti hack system comes out or the code what ever, I'm willing to pay.

waNna sOmething?

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:30:21 PM »
I'm not sure why people prefer playing 2.8 its almost an identical game with a few minor changes.

Back in the days i used to play Cooperative and that was a really different gameplay. Loads of fun with next to no rage, as it should be.

JonnyM

« Reply #69 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:35:26 PM »
I seem to remember that the co-op maps were seriously laggy and glitchy as hell.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:46:35 PM »
I seem to remember that the co-op maps were seriously laggy and glitchy as hell.

Hmm glitchy, Snakeplain perhaps? Interdiction and ES2Border were about fine (well, if you were to die while carrying the object on Interdiction it could disappear). Snakeplain bugs were mostly related to vehicles, especially collision glitches. ES2Border was a "report and extract" mode if i recall correctly, i can't remember of any awful glitch of bug that was part of that mission only.

About performance, the higher the amount of bots, the lower the overall performance. And to be honest, i've played several custom made maps that were perfectly up to par with PvP maps. I think the issue was mostly related to bots amount, if you're to spawn several little amounts of AI entities during a relatively wide timelapse you get a much better performance than when you're going to spawn a huge amount right in once. Killing Floor approach is pretty much the first one, and it provides a very usable performance even on old systems.

If you have a 2.8.5 install you might try starting Interdiction offline, looking at the framerate, then command-kill all the bots. Just a matter of "garbage collection" isn't it? :D
« Last Edit: Monday, July 22, 2013, 16:00:05 PM by Koden »

Offline marten77

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 15:51:20 PM »
Like I said, I doubt they would ever let random people use their brand name for a game. Hell, some game companies shut down mods for using their brand name. I doubt they would even consider it.

Dont be so sure they wont give the source code  ;)

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #72 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 16:11:42 PM »
about the accounts often changed. why not
something like this:

- bind the computers mac address to the account(s)
- you can have 3 accounts binded to one mac
- make a page where you can unbind your account to this mac and bind it to another mac (read this automatically)
- you can only unbind and bind 3 times a year this way

so if someone do fake his mac, it doesn't matter anymore. only be sure you can handle the way someone would like to catch another real mac from already registered player. so once binded, only with good reason you can unbind, like a ban appeal.

I guess this is the most easiest way to have control about all that - maybe with a bit of work at the very beginning, but...no paypal, no credit cards, no ....

JonnyM

« Reply #73 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 04:10:40 AM »
Well I have word from the AA dev team... To sum up the answer is no! for legal reasons.
But they suggest we keep doing what we are doing because we are doing a outstanding job.
I will make 2.5 the best and cleanest game it can possibly be and hopefully one day eliz will come back to continue his work on 2.8

Offline Alex

« Reply #74 on: Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 04:21:11 AM »
Well I have word from the AA dev team... To sum up the answer is no! for legal reasons.
But they suggest we keep doing what we are doing because we are doing a outstanding job.
I will make 2.5 the best and cleanest game it can possibly be and hopefully one day eliz will come back to continue his work on 2.8
That's a shame but completely understandable .Assist is doing a fantastic job and to be honest the fact that we still have over 200 people playing this game is astonishing. Keep up the good work.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager