Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Cutting Bandwidth on the Internet  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Cutting Bandwidth on the Internet
« on: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 01:26:52 AM »
Since computers are getting ever faster and servers seem to be a leap or two ahead, I just thought of a nifty way that might save a ton of bandwidth in the world thus possibly generating faster connections. I thought this up by mis-interpreting a show about how the internet was made then I thought about Dropbox. Now I'm sure that data or at least bits or pieces of perfectly similar files are sent multiple times around the world. What if each piece had like a MD5 or something so that if another person close to your location needed a piece with that same MD5, it would be sent to that person and you as well. It would probably take a ton of CPU cycles to implement something like this but imagine the bandwidth cuts. This is probably an insane idea but I just had to get it out there.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Jonnym

Re: Cutting Bandwidth on the Internet
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 06:19:26 AM »
Multicasting is part of the IPv6 system, Can send a data stream to more than 1 IP address at a time, But works for Radio, Video best. What your sugguesting would be difficult to the point of impossible, And not worth the effort. I guess as system could be put in place where you ask for a download from a server and then the servers waits until there are a hundered or so people in the queue and then send out the download as multicast, That will probably happen quite soon after IPv6 is implimented.
Of cause the ultimate solution is to go back to using dumb terminals like we used to have in the 60's to 90's , One server, all users have a terminal that logs on to this server, Very efficient. Only text and graphics pass down the line. Like using VNC.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 14:56:30 PM »
Good to see that I'm not entirely thinking up impossible things. It would have to be a careful balance of not making the user wait but still allowing data to be efficient. With all the millions of users using the internet, I'm sure there's a few packets with the same MD5 going the same general direction. My idea would still suck a lot of CPU and probably would take a lot of time and money to implement. I guess we wait for IPv6... whenever it comes.

Also, good to see I posted something that peaked Jonny's attention :)

-Delta-

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 14:32:14 PM »
Spanky, doesn't Dropbox share files? Like say someone already uploaded that cool Youtube video to their Dropbox, now when you go to upload the same video, the server knows it already has the file, which means you don't have to waste bandwidth uploading it twice.

That model would work if the Internet had just one central server, but the Internet is made out of millions of servers. I just don't see it working. I don't even know how Dropbox can check their vast file list fast enough.

Of cause the ultimate solution is to go back to using dumb terminals like we used to have in the 60's to 90's , One server, all users have a terminal that logs on to this server, Very efficient. Only text and graphics pass down the line. Like using VNC.

That might have worked back in the 60's, but today with rich graphics and whatnot, it just wouldn't work. One reason why it wouldn't be ideal is because VNC is laggy, you might only receive 10 updates per second or even less based on the quality of the connection.

I think the ultimate solution to this would be for the networks to upgrade their ever aging infrastructure. And why haven't we solved the "faster then light" speed barrier yet?  :P

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 15:23:02 PM »
I don't think Dropbox checks their servers for a similar file. Your deleted files stay on for 30 days and I think it just checks your file list for similar files. I'm just guessing though. It's kind of a funny thing. Consumers are willing to pay for fast speeds but ISP's want to keep costs way down and profit way high. IMO, ISP's these days don't perpetuate the soul of what the internet once was.

-Delta-

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 23:24:27 PM »
Really? I thought Dropbox did. Well, I guess one way to figure it out would be for me to upload the same file as you and watch the progress.  :)

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager