Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Unnamed map WIP  (Read 7768 times)

Offline MothaGoosE

Re: Unnamed map WIP
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, July 14, 2012, 23:53:47 PM »
Ambient volume is last on my list. For that, I need a good control. It isn't going to stay so loud. I'm certainly not about to make this a sound whore map. Volume levels are going to be realistic.

Offline k!cker

• View Profile
  • AA: k!cker
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, July 14, 2012, 23:54:37 PM »
The sounds you have are fine its just really loud and the stuff echos

Offline MothaGoosE

« Reply #17 on: Saturday, July 14, 2012, 23:56:43 PM »
WIP

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 00:34:35 AM »
Fun fact, I have now added carry objectives into the editor. Those with access to the dropbox, replace your old AGP_Gameplay.u file with the new one in the dropbox I uploaded. I checked out Border in the editor, boom, works.

Offline Alex

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 00:39:44 AM »
Fun fact, I have now added carry objectives into the editor. Those with access to the dropbox, replace your old AGP_Gameplay.u file with the new one in the dropbox I uploaded. I checked out Border in the editor, boom, works.
Sorcery!

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 10:40:52 AM »
wow i just played this map and i really really like it. Keep up the great work and I cant wait to test out the final product.

If a team was smart enough, they could make getting B near impossible  :shock: there are a lot of good spots  :D

a few things i noticed:
-somethings up with the windows. when one shatters, all neighboring ones have that shattering action. im sure you've noticed this already
-theres a door that is supposed to go into the room where presentations would be held (with the projector and screen). When you open it its all black. When you go inside the room you are actually opening the door into the projector screen. 

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 15:43:07 PM »
If you finish up the map and stuff, put it on the developers dropbox or hand it to me and we can put it in the 7.2 update.

Offline MothaGoosE

« Reply #22 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 19:45:24 PM »

That's awesome! Thank you! And absolutely, I'll try my best to finish it quickly. Do I have much time?

To Jason: I'm not sure why the windows do that. There's probably a setting somewhere that i overlooked. Could you provide a screenshot for the black projector room problem? I am unable to replicate it.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 21:17:55 PM »
You've got some time. Do some good work on it, get the important things ready. And if there is a spontaneous update, I'll take the time to finalize it just in case.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 21:18:45 PM »
Just a suggestion:
dont put so many doors. It's so confusing because all the same doors are used. Not every room needs a door. Like those second floor rooms that have windows that overlook the crates in the first floor, i dont think they need doors connecting each other.

South-West corner of the map near obj A

Outside in the hallway:

Inside of the room:

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 21:25:13 PM »
Follow up on the door suggestion: you can swap the door textures. In the T-Doors (or whatever the package is called) there are more textures for doors than you see if you browse the static mesh browser.

Another point -- because this is a game and we don't always need to mimic reality, we can instead focus on playability. I've only seen the map through screenshots, so excuse my bit of ignorance here. It is a good idea to color code portions of the map. I don't need to explain why it make it easier for players to get up and going :)

You can color code with doors, walls, different floors can have certain color schemes, etc. Just some general level design information :)

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 21:29:53 PM »
It is a good idea to color code portions of the map. I don't need to explain why it make it easier for players to get up and going :)

exactly what i was thinking. Isn't there that same wall texture except red? not exactly sure. But yea, section off parts of the map so players know what building they're in.  It's probably hard to know what we mean because you obviously know the entire map by heart haha.

Offline MothaGoosE

« Reply #27 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 21:52:36 PM »
To Jason: Thanks for that. It's a door I thought I had deleted. Apparently it was just chilling in the wall with a zone portal and a small subtractive brush. I believe this was the cause of the minor bsp tearing as well. Thanks dude, it's gone now. That door wasn't even supposed to be there. Also, I know what you mean with the doors. Initially, certain doors were placed to delay people coming up from the parking garage, but things have changed since and they are unnecessary. Also, I plan on deleting all of the doors the don't connect to the hallway in the offices above B.

Additionally, Blue, I have considered "color-coding" areas of the building, but I haven't decided on which textures I wanted yet. There is also the concern with the interior of the bridges not looking out of place. I was responsible for color-coding the basement hallways in Hospital SAR that max and I were working on for that same reason. I'm trying to make as little of the upper floors playable as I can, but I want them to look like they are a part of the same complex. I will also attempt to give clues with furniture and lighting. I might just color code the doors, instead of the walls, so you know what building you're in. All non-openable doors are the white door texture that says 'No Admittance' with the exception of the wooden doors in the cafeteria and kitchen. I want to make it clear what doors you can go through and which ones are fake.

Thanks for the feedback, it's great help, guys.

Also, to Blue: Is there an appropriate texture I can use for the offices and hallways that isnt ceiling tiles? I didn't take the size of the tiles into account when creating the bsp, and I'd rather not alter bsp at this point. I would also like to use the same lights. Or is there a better way to re-size the texture that isn't so drastic?
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 22:03:09 PM by MothaGoosE »

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 23:16:31 PM »
You can check the surface properties of the office ceiling tiles and keep punching in numbers to the size scale until it fits the walls. In dockside, devs used a concrete texture for the ceiling in some areas and it worked out alright. You could also use a plain white wall :D So check out the T2-Concrete package basically.

Offline MothaGoosE

« Reply #29 on: Sunday, July 15, 2012, 23:21:05 PM »
Roger, will do. Thanks.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager