Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Map Testers Wanted  (Read 8512 times)

Offline MothaGoosE

Map Testers Wanted
« on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »
Hey guys. As some of you may already know, I'm currently working on a 34 slot SF map. Now I feel I have reached the point where I want to make sure that gameplay is balanced before I proceed.

I am looking for no less than 33 players willing to test this map competitively to uncover any flaws with balance as well as someone willing to host the map on their server.

I will post a dropbox link for all who are interested soon.

Here's what I'm looking for from the map:

-Balance - both teams should have equal ability to win - both teams should be able to reach the Charlie building roof at the same time - both teams should be able to reach objective B at very similar times. All three objectives take 15 seconds to capture and are "back and forth" which means that the enemy can capture an objective you've captured.

-No BSP holes (Big black holes that prevent player access) There should not be any, but I'm far from perfect.

-No ways to access areas restricted to players

-Quick to get into the action and not very camper friendly (There should almost always be a way to flank the enemy if you can think quickly)

-Isn't too much of a resource hog (I have more lightmap compressing to do, but the map should be playable to you at whatever settings you usually use).

Things to consider:

This is a very early version and lacks polish. There is no briefing and no viewpoints. There are objects, windows, and other props that haven't been added yet, rooms that are empty, lights in the kitchen that come from nowhere. These are all things that I am aware of and will be addressed later.

The map's current title is SF_Contingency. If you would like more information on the mission, go here: http://aao25.com/maap/unnamed-map-wip/

Offline MothaGoosE

Re: Map Testers Wanted
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 14:42:46 PM »
Of course, if nobody cares I suppose I could just stop what I'm doing.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 14:45:08 PM »
nobody cares

IMO you nailed it. Others tend to disagree with me though.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline MothaGoosE

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 14:47:41 PM »
Of course I nailed it. The only subjects anyone posts on anymore is cheaters. This is a total joke. I wish newer games had public editors so I could make something people might actually give to flying fucks about.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 14:56:55 PM »
I feel ya man. I really do wish the community card. Working in UnrealEd is fun but not fun enough to deal with these people.

Offline Alex

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 14:58:49 PM »
Of course I nailed it. The only subjects anyone posts on anymore is cheaters. This is a total joke. I wish newer games had public editors so I could make something people might actually give to flying fucks about.
Why wish?
Skyrim
Crysis
Crysis 2
Unreal Tournament series
ArmA II

All have public editors to create maps and missions. And those are just off the top of my head.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 15:00:44 PM »
Only interesting one is ARMA2. That's the downside to public editors though, EVERYBODY has it and the community for custom maps & mods is HUGE. How can you compete when you're a noob? But with AA, you can count the modders & mappers on 2 hands.

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 15:02:24 PM »
Only interesting one is ARMA2. That's the downside to public editors though, EVERYBODY has it and the community for custom maps & mods is HUGE. How can you compete when you're a noob? But with AA, you can count the modders & mappers on 2 hands.
It may be hard to get anyone to play your stuff when you're a noob, but that gives you incentives to get better. It's a form of competition. If you want people to play your stuff you have to make something good.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 15:12:08 PM »
I'd love to help beta test it, but I'm afraid I don't play enough...
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 15:37:42 PM »
Your map looks interesting actually, looking forward to play it.

Is competing the point? Some impressive mods were born from not one but a collection of mods made by different players (look at some mods made for Half Life or even the Stalker series, some for Shadow of Chernobyl even take back the original gameplay from the alpha version of the game - lets say, going back to the roots).
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 15:42:45 PM by Koden »

Offline MothaGoosE

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 15:51:22 PM »
Thanks, I'll check those out. I'll still work in this map for now, but it's not going to be released if it isn't tested.

Offline Yahoo

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 15:52:43 PM »
I don't mind to give it a try , where can i download the map?  :up:

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 15:55:40 PM »
Is competing the point? Some impressive mods were born from not one but a collection of mods made by different players (look at some mods made for Half Life or even the Stalker series, some for Shadow of Chernobyl even take back the original gameplay from the alpha version of the game - lets say, going back to the roots).

Competing is good, it generates the best content for the users but at the same time it also makes entry really hard. Goose, I don't mean to give you a bad attitude or get you down about working in UnrealEd for AA. If you enjoy it and enjoy the game, keep it up because you are doing good work. I'm just saying, it's frustrating with AA and I'm sure it would be frustrating with another game, just different kinds of frustration. There's no real middle ground unless you're a paid game dev working for a big company :)

Offline MothaGoosE

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 16:23:10 PM »
Competing is good, it generates the best content for the users but at the same time it also makes entry really hard. Goose, I don't mean to give you a bad attitude or get you down about working in UnrealEd for AA. If you enjoy it and enjoy the game, keep it up because you are doing good work. I'm just saying, it's frustrating with AA and I'm sure it would be frustrating with another game, just different kinds of frustration. There's no real middle ground unless you're a paid game dev working for a big company :)

Don't worry, I'm not flipping out. It's just, Max and I found Assist not that long ago, and now AA is dying again. I'm surprised it had two lives, but the only reason it's dying is because stupidity is taking over. People accusing others of cheating left and right is taking over the forum, while other topics just get buried. It's all drama and stupid bullshit now, wheres the enthusiasm?

On a side note, I think the modded servers are helping dig Assist's grave. You probably have, but have you considered "official" servers?

Offline Alex

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2012, 16:30:58 PM »
People accusing others of cheating left and right is taking over the forum, while other topics just get buried. It's all drama and stupid bullshit now, wheres the enthusiasm?

We are trying to solve the cheater accusation problem.The cheater submissions system will be revamped so there's less bullshit posts with no proof. Just not sure how it is going to be done yet. We've also talked about removing honor from servers running mods like the pick a weapon mod in the past, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager