Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Karma (Physics) Mod  (Read 8002 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Karma (Physics) Mod
« on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 22:43:55 PM »
Compiled a karma mod for AA earlier today. Here's a test video:
http://youtu.be/DQDCx7R8m0M?hd=1

First time physics has worked online for AA, aside from ragdoll. This has the potential to radically change gameplay.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Jason

• View Profile
Re: Karma (Physics) Mod
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 14, 2012, 23:53:14 PM »
lol barrel surfing

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 03:26:04 AM »
lol barrel surfing

You should try it on the vending machines :D

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 04:19:18 AM »
O_O wow. Physics in AA? That's a great step ahead  :D :D i couldn't believe it when i saw you surfing on the barrel, lolz.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 05:02:27 AM »
There's 1 problem with this mod that I see; objects stay where they are, even with a new round. I made a post over at the Epic Games forum to see if a UScript guru can help force all Karma objects to reset to their original location at round end. If so, this mod will make a limited debut in mAAp v7. I don't want to trust it too much, it works fine in LAN games but I don't know what 150 ping will do to it.

Jonnym

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 06:25:32 AM »
amazing!

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 14:24:42 PM »
for online play perhaps u could make the barrels only respond to certain munitions? A burst from a rifle will put holes in it but wouldn't push it around, maybe explosive (grenades rpgs m203's) can be what moves them? after u refined it all and what not, just my opinion it would be silly for in a 'realistic' shooter that barrels are flung everywhere like they where beer cans

The easiest thing to do would to be add more mass and ground friction to it. I know that can be done, it's just an option. The barrels in the video have default Karma settings. Coding for certain munitions... I'm not sure how Karma objects respond to explosions and whatnot.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 14:48:48 PM »
Karma doesn't respond well to a lot of things in AA since AA is vastly different from UT. The objects respond to impacts like pegging it with a G or RPG. But if you throw a nade near it, nothing happens.

I've already been testing for the proper values for certain objects and I've gotten good numbers for crates and cardboard boxes already. We'll have to do some more work on the barrels because for some reason the AA devs gave rectangular collision boxes on barrels lmao.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 14:51:39 PM »
I've already been testing for the proper values for certain objects and I've gotten good numbers for crates and cardboard boxes already.

The objects on Spankyville are boss. I'm so tempted to add Karma objects to Pipeline but I don't want to hear back from the GoodKarma dev and have all my work be pointless.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 17:59:46 PM »
Bad news from the GoodKarma dev:
I'm sorry, but it's more or less the same story this time around.  I'm still going to school (full time graduate school... going on 7 years of college), but am also working part time to pay the bills, as well as the usual compliment of projects.  I can certainly try and remember specifics of the original builds, but I haven't had a UE2.5 engine game installed for quite some time.

That all being said, If you're willing to dive into the source code there may be a couple of hints I can offer:
Unrealscript is very similar to C++ and Java in syntax, if you can code in either, it's not difficult to pick up.  The class structure of the content is basically textbook examples of object oriented programming.  I don't believe the online documentation of the game's scripts is still available where I was using it, but if you're going to code, use the editor to extract all of the Unrealscript files into a directory and use them as a reference.  If you're working with GoodKarma, it may be worth exporting UT2004's scripts, since that's what it was designed to work with.  I also liked using the Context editor... it's basically just notepad, but you can download a highlighter plugin for Unrealscript which makes things visually easier to keep track of.  You can also link run commands to the function keys, so you can compile a mod and capture the output of the compiler all in the same window.

With UE2.5, and quite annoyingly, the physics are done externally through the Karma engine (whereas the collision detection is done entirely in the game engine...), so there is relatively little control you actually have in Unrealscript.  I used the KActor class (which I could verify worked in online play) as the basis for my work and at least once I had to go back to the original and paste in my added content carefully because it had stopped working.  For debugging it's an absolute must to run a dedicated server on your machine, then connect to that server with your client - even when it seems to be working in single player, the whole point is that it gets replicated over the server to all of the clients.  I think my earliest releases actually didn't work online because I wasn't testing this way and didn't know.

Take a look at the different releases and changelogs, to see which of the added features you want to be able to use - then compare the source files.  Generally, you can tell what chunks of code were added, and if you can isolate them, you can add that functionality to your own existing KActor class (or whatever your working base is) without having to tackle the whole mod.  I don't know what version of the engine your current build is, but it is entirely possible that my existing code will not function properly on it, so I would stick to working code and then try to splice in the extra functionality.

Finally... if you can find an old build of Killing Floor as a mod (before it was a separate game), for at least a little while they used GoodKarma for their physics stuff as well.  He may have moved on to something else (or even a different engine), but the mod's developer had continued using GoodKarma into the commercial stage, so there should be probably close to a year worth of Killing Floor builds (as a mod for UT2004) that have working versions of GoodKarma which may have different functionality or may be more of what you're looking for.  Generally the editor can unpack .u engine files into their Unrealscript (.uc) components, so if you can find the .u files for the mod, you can probably get the source code from them, even if it wasn't explicitly released.

Good luck, and while I don't have time to be a legitimate developer, I can certainly take some sporadic time to answer questions.  I don't know if you have the files the original email mentions, but if you need another copy, I think they've moved to here:
http://www.medpants.com/pages/projects/GoodKarma/GoodKarma.zip

-Jon

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 18:15:37 PM »
That's pretty definitive. I appreciate the guy taking the time to type all that out.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 21:47:22 PM »
A practical taste of what Karma can do:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU6bLh2_1bI&feature=youtu.be&hd=1[/youtube]
http://youtu.be/vU6bLh2_1bI?hd=1

This is a poor representation actually. I got a whopping 15FPS during this but it could be from the 44 triangle bricks hitting the other 44 triangles. If it were just 12 triangle flat bricks, FPS might be better. Might be able to shoot holes in walls. That actually gives me a good idea. Generic hole in wall with a zone sheet and fill in the gap with square bricks. Add a crack projector to tell the player there's something there and voila, insta-door.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, January 15, 2012, 22:52:17 PM »
A minor victory for our mod:
01/15/12 19:48:25 ScriptLog: Respawn at 356.00,1838.00,-1024.00 Karma: 356.00,1838.00,-1024.00
01/15/12 19:48:25 ScriptLog: LawDogsKActor respawned at 356.00,1838.00,-1024.00 and should be at 356.00,1838.00,-1024.00

Looks like objects can respawn to their original location... I just need to find out how to get them to respawn at the end of the round.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 00:20:07 AM »
:) Major victory today. I got Karma objects to respawn when a round is done.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 16, 2012, 00:32:32 AM »
:O

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager