Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: What Makes an Excellent Sound Card?  (Read 39424 times)

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
  • AA: guily6669
Re: What Makes an Excellent Sound Card?
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 21:55:33 PM »
Yeah, they do look good. So you can finally agree with me, that you can still buy good and lot better quality sound systems nowadays... Even if they are considered expensive. Well in the 80's almost no one could afford any good sound system at all where I live. And nowadays you have lot's of cheap sound systems which are already pretty good.

Also check out the link of the video I posed in my last comment, that's an example that amplifying is not even the most important thing nowadays... Processing effects and digitalization are getting way more important. Even newer synthesizers can sound better than some real instruments while playing on a good sound system.

ps: That's what creative is also good in, they are bad in the amplification compared to professional audio, but they do were innovative on the sound effects (even though nowadays they aren't much important since in wind7 everyone uses openAL :o)...
Keep Cool

Offline Alex

« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 21:56:06 PM »
Yeah lots of people use those for small parties or kareoke or whatever here. They're pretty good and easy to move around. Plus you can kick them hard and they still work.

These are really good budget PA speakers: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=245-804

Budget speaker, $108. Fuck that shit. :P

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 21:59:37 PM »
I've given up this discussion since the notions are so absurd.

I will reply to one thing; Guily, your motherboard is not military certified. The manufacturer may claim it's military grade but that's purely a selling point. MSI did that for a while and they were they shittiest motherboards around. If you knew about electronics in the military, you would know that they are a hell of a lot more strict and do not accept consumer-grade electronics. I have heard they require thick gold traces instead of copper in the PCB's used in combat. I don't have proof for that but I would believe it. The average home computer isn't bouncing around in a hummer or taking heavy g-forces in a jet aircraft.

Guily, companies love you. You believe everything they say and fight for it without proof. You should be a used car salesman.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline kinetiks

« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 22:01:15 PM »
http://www.genelec.com/ there u have ur quality speakers from finland of course :p

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 22:02:12 PM »
LOL Killa you're funny. I would consider that a budget PA speaker. What else are you gonna buy for PA? It has to play loud and run for hours without destroying itself. In fact I would get rid of every other prefabricated PA speakers cheaper than this one because the chances are high that the cheap ones will work a few times or push out square waves.

Oh and I didn't mention you have to buy a power amplifier which is another $100 :)

Offline Alex

« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 22:04:42 PM »
LOL Killa you're funny. I would consider that a budget PA speaker. What else are you gonna buy for PA? It has to play loud and run for hours without destroying itself. In fact I would get rid of every other prefabricated PA speakers cheaper than this one because the chances are high that the cheap ones will work a few times or push out square waves.

Oh and I didn't mention you have to buy a power amplifier which is another $100 :)
Oh I believe it, it is just that the words "budget" and $100 don't seem to go together in my head. :P

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 22:11:41 PM »
Haha. You gotta stretch when it comes audio :P

I used to think the same way about budget and $100 not going together, and now I have that Technical Pro amplifier. Not that anything is bad with it, just that the stats are bogusly incorrect. Although it takes abuse so I can't complain too much about it.

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 22:21:36 PM »
Well this is my bro long time ago on the old speakers and old amplyfier (can't see in the video).

But he uses that current yamaha synthesizer, that already cost a lot for our pockets.

We also have a CASIO old good synthesizer with built-in crappy speakers
Oh I believe it, it is just that the words "budget" and $100 don't seem to go together in my head. :P
Yeah, well they don't actually look bad, and horn type high frequency coils really improve a damn lot the quality of the speakers.

Actually for that price here in the 80's all you could get was a punch in your head and none speakers... so I don't see the problem  here.
I've given up this discussion since the notions are so absurd.

I will reply to one thing; Guily, your motherboard is not military certified. The manufacturer may claim it's military grade but that's purely a selling point. MSI did that for a while and they were they shittiest motherboards around. If you knew about electronics in the military, you would know that they are a hell of a lot more strict and do not accept consumer-grade electronics. I have heard they require thick gold traces instead of copper in the PCB's used in combat. I don't have proof for that but I would believe it. The average home computer isn't bouncing around in a hummer or taking heavy g-forces in a jet aircraft.

Guily, companies love you. You believe everything they say and fight for it without proof. You should be a used car salesman.
I'm not the kind of guy to believe in things, and I'm the kind of guy that don't buy anything from here, I always check on the internet for better prices, and for choosing anything at all I can take days searching and searching unless they are things that I don't care much, like all my 2.1 speakers (2x 2.1 from creative + 2.1 from philips)...

About the military certificate, I do believe it's true, they could get processed for that if anyone would bother searching... But military certificated hardware doesn't mean it must be the ones for use in the combat, as none computar normal hardware is made for that, since a shake bam the gpu would break, or the rams would fail.... But when I went into the army here, they had a collection of good burned PSU's for show in the walls from their computers, they do have lot's of computers in the military schools and so...

And the tests they have there, I do believe they are real, even if not made by anything to do with the army. Because after all it uses the latest 3rd generation solid capacitors... all good components (not the best too, but nothing compared to old computers).

Also I like that this board is totally covered, so you can do whatever you want, and you won't be touching the components it self...And I believe all of their boards uses a low amount of gold (because I talked with guys that buy any used pc for very cheap, to break it all into pieces to remove the gold by newer processes).
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 22:35:14 PM by guily6669 »

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 22:26:42 PM »
Hahaha I grew up hearing those synthesizers. I know a lot of people might not like how it sounds, but it's cool equipment. I see they sell a lot of PA stuff over where you live. It's the same thing in my country. PA's, synthesizers, and mixers. Amazing in a way.

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 22:43:56 PM »
Hahaha I grew up hearing those synthesizers. I know a lot of people might not like how it sounds, but it's cool equipment. I see they sell a lot of PA stuff over where you live. It's the same thing in my country. PA's, synthesizers, and mixers. Amazing in a way.
Yep :D

Before I was born my father's had one casio very old one, it looks like a toy against the modern CASIO kinda pro from the 90's, and that was just a joke against this new modern yamaha...

Also in the 80's you could have had nothing like those new yamaha's with EFFECTS from other planet (it's all in one), they do have lot's of high quality components, but they also still cost way too much. My brother's yamaha cost like 500€ from germany and it's considered a crap for this modern days.

Roland has some bad ass moden models god damn (so much€€€), but they never lost quality, they always increase quality as long with the newer good amplifiers+speakers.

I also love the music box (or whatever you call it), wich you can 4 example connect the synthesizer to it and make pure electro house music :)
Keep Cool

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 22:47:15 PM »
OMG I LOVE THE MUSIC BOX.

Korg makes some excellent synthesizers too.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 22:48:39 PM »
*facepalm*

I'm out.

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 23:04:54 PM »
*facepalm*

I'm out.
Haha... sry but you are the one who got it wrong...

I live in a village. And recently we made a RAVE here with a known international DJ, and we couldn't have the music too loud, because ppl from this village don't like parties like raves and so.... but we have lot's of young ppl...

We worked to getter with ppl with knowledge I believe that from a studio, and they made verything very professionally. They did a giant vinyl high quality impress with the logos, they took pictures, they advertized, they took care of the dj's...

And specially they brought special top of the line speakers that they had just bought for making raves, they cost thousands and thousands of euros, and they were directional speakers, so we made the rave for the side of the beach. It had lot's of huge speakers, and most were of a type I never saw on a rave, since they were some new state-of-art directional type of speakers, and the amps are of all modern professional type (but this guys for example are the only ones here that have those kind of expensive speakers around all the island), it also had lasers and all that kind of lights and shits on raves.

Actually I was in my house when they were testing at like 200meters from my house, and I barely could hear anything, but in there they really had very good quality.

Also if you don't know sound waves were even more comprehended since the 80's till nowadays. Even ur USA army has now a working weapon that works with sound, it's a special way of making sound that I still don't understand how they did it...

They kinda make a laser but instead of being a light it's sound, if you are on the sides or on the back you hear 0db completely, but in front it's so loud that on max volume can kill your hears and make you to feel pretty bad.

They were saying they were actually working for years and years trying to figure out all secrets of sound waves, and they made a way to make a laser for sound trough air that reaches i think that miles (if i'm remembering good).

ps: As those guys did discovered that, so many discoveries were made by the good speakers\amps builders, which get more complex and more crystal clear over time (just not the cheap ones made for a normal human being to just listen to something in the TV)... After the 80's for example, they discovered the bass reflex, new and different case designs inside to increase the quality... and the best speakers and amplifiers always come with all the discoveries together.
Keep Cool

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 23:34:01 PM »
Haha... sry but you are the one who got it wrong...

Where do you get your information? I'm talking purely from experience and knowledge I've learned through professional audio forums.

A discussion I had with someone whose opinion I respect and who also knows a LOT about high-end audio than I do, he's also been a DJ and has done studio mix recordings:
Nate:   am i double facepalming for no reason? http://aao25.com/audio/what-makes-an-excellent-sound-card/
the guily6669 guy is just... *sigh*
someguy147:   son I am proud.
you made great points nate
other dude is wack
Nate:   so it's not my twisted sense of reality :)
did you read on into the other pages? he gets more crazy
talking about how modern speakers are better cuz they have titanium...
omg
OMG
he replied again
someguy147:   i just hit second page
rofl
Nate:   saying he prefers 128kbps 48hz mp3 to the original cd...
someguy147:   titanium...
ROFL WHAT
NOOB
beyond noob
dude is diabolical.
LOL "GOOD MID TO HIGH END"
Nate:   i'll tell ya
it feels good to at least have basic knowledge
unlike him
someguy147:   true true
LOL this dude does NOT understand compression at all
he thinks it can be reversed...
Nate:   he's got serious misinformation issues
seems to believe every word Creative spews
someguy147:   yeah
also
that connector he linked is a pro-line neutrik
i work with this often
beautiful heavy duty things
them*
Nate:   i've never actually seen one so i didn't comment on it
someguy147:   chances are his "brother" is a DJ or something - just about all of the mid-high end loudspeakers made for live sound use them these days. occasionally 1/4 on older ones.
Nate:   ah
makes sense
you should totally reply in that thread. i mean... if you have time, i would imagine it would take you a while to tell him what a fuckwit he is
someguy147:   you're modded L19s look beautiful :)
Nate:   :)
someguy147:   he'd probably be blown away by like a cheap T-class amp off ebay and a similar external cheapo dac...
Nate:   that's the funny thing
someguy147:   realistically though - this guy will probably never heed our advice. we understand now that it takes real research, money and time to get to where we are.
Nate:   he could sell his cheap logitech set and take that money and buy something better
someguy147:   yeah
but hes probably unwilling to do the research
Nate:   imo, that's great
leaves the dwindling supply of quality vintage gear to those of us that enjoy it
someguy147:   this is possibly the funniest graph i've seen, like, ever: https://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvdw3036nu1qfzx6so1_500.png
Nate:   rofl
i skimmed that because i knew it was propaganda
just read "experience" on the x axis
something so subjective :D
someguy147:   lololol
dudes trying to speculate on speaker magnets when he doesnt understand compression...
hilarious
give me a solid alnico anyday...

someguy147:   LOL STILL READING THAT THREAD
look at that puny tecdhnics!
technics!
I floss with that kind of gear...
Nate:   rofl
someguy147:   man this dude talks A LOT OF CRAP
he simply has no idea what hes talking about whatsoever

After the 80's for example, they discovered the bass reflex
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_reflex
Right, exactly what early 70's JBL speakers had. You're talking pure shit.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday, April 12, 2012, 00:17:53 AM »
Spanky's having some fun. The dude is clearly from an area where they don't have knowledge about the hi-fi. His ideas are pretty common of a lot of the people from over there. You can say it's an annoying sense of pride. Also something very common of those people.

Oh here's a fun fact. At my church are quite a lot of people that have that same thinking. There's a guy who did some sound system for the church's basement who thinks he's quite the stuff. I can't even have a good discussion with this dude because it's annoying listening to his bloated statements. Listening to him is like looking at car audio specs claiming 5000watts of peak power written in bright red and other stupid shit. So the dude installs the lowest quality Gemini speakers that are at the same level as Pyle. Your pro audio buddy will know what I'm talking about. The dude claims he did so many "pro" installations and yada yada. Well, to make the story short, the system sounds terrible. There used to be some real nice vintage Zeniths and some ancient power amp. Those sounded great, but I wouldn't be surprised if some incompetent people hooked up stuff wrong when doing performances and blew something. Because I still don't know why the dude made the new sound installation.

Drop them in a situation where they are forever intimidated by intelligent people and they will change.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager