Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: The X-Fi series and Quality  (Read 8135 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: The X-Fi series and Quality
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 19:53:41 PM »
No problem. If you do go with the E10, do post back here and tell us what you think. Try and break the gamer stereotype :)
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline -NicK.!

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 20:13:05 PM »
No problem. If you do go with the E10, do post back here and tell us what you think. Try and break the gamer stereotype :)
Ordered them with the HD 280's, all i need now is an attachable mic. As for breaking the gamer stereotype, I dont consider myself a gamer, the only games i play now days are diablo 2 and dayz.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 20:32:22 PM by -NicK.! »

Offline 1m50ry

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 20:26:38 PM »
 and asus essense st vs e10 what is better?

ini sound tweak=hack lol  only sound tweak u can do is channels=128 all other shit shud be cvared

messing with eq helps alot in aao

one more question since u look like u know what are u talking about lol

how much better is bravura than creative xfi? is it like onboard vs xfi? the price diffirence is small and in some series the price is same....

the other thing is that if u buy some 200usd sound it shud be able to do both music/movies and games in some decent quality and im worry that that e10 will sux in games where it ll be beated by 10 years old 50usd xfi while in music/movies i think that the diffirence is not that big

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, August 08, 2012, 20:45:56 PM »
Ordered them with the HD 280's, all i need now is an attachable mic.
Zalman makes one that attaches to your headphone cable. Not really good quality but over VOIP, who cares :)

1m50ry, it's really hard to say is xxxxx card better than xxxxx card. The more you spend in audio, the less you get. It's like limited returns. When you drop $200 on your first setup, the amount of improvement is the most you'll ever see. You could drop $1k on an audio setup and see slight improvements. That first step is always the biggest. I really suggest going on Head-Fi and seeing what other people say. I'm not super knowledgeable, I'm just a beginner too. You gotta realize though that some people like bloated bass, some people like harsh treble. There's quite a few headphones out there that are fantastic for movies & games but for critical music listening, they're not as good as other choices. The headphone choice when you're a beginner is much more important than DAC/amp choice. BeyerDynamic DT770/80 headphones have a lot of bass and are great for movies & games but their highs become sibilant and when you notice that, they kinda suck. Part of the fun in audio is trying different products and seeing what you like the best.

TL;DR: Headphone choice is more important for sound signature and quality. Get a DAC & amp that will power those headphones properly. At a beginner level, there won't be much difference between DACs and amps.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 13:00:40 PM »
Seeing how passionate Spanky is about audio makes me think he'll never leave these forums just for the sake that someone will ask another question related to audio. :)

As I see you know far more than I do about anything audio I was wondering what you think of the Speedlink Medusa 5.1 headphones I have (bought them a couple of years ago with X-Fi soundcard, but am now on my laptop so obviously no X-Fi for me)?
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 13:49:03 PM »
I do like being on these forums for good non-AA discussions with nice people, I'll admit that. But these types of discussions are the ones I'm hoping to take and grow on GamingRevised.com

Unfortunately I've got to give a thumbs down for your headphones. Typically any "gamer" product is a no-go. LCD monitors for gamers have fast refresh times but they all use TN panels and their color isn't as good as it could be. Gamer mice have a lot of buttons, weird designs and lights but not a lot of ergonomics. Same for keyboards. Sound equipment is no different.

Regular headphones have a hard time competing with speakers because the drivers just aren't large enough and they are only 1-way which means 1 driver has a hard time keeping up with the dynamics of audio. A great example of this is when I had my speakers apart and was playing some music. I then tried to feed it a 20hz signal while playing music but the 20hz never came through because the music was a much higher frequency and my woofer just couldn't make both sounds. Really, 3-way speakers are where dynamics really come in. So, with normal headphones only having 1 tiny driver to produce audio, how can surround headphones be anything but worse with 2-3 drivers per cup? The drivers have to be smaller. Not to mention too, the price point for surround headphones from what I've seen is $100-$150. That's the same price as introductory audiophile headphones. To be tossing in extra drivers and a microphone at the same price, they couldn't ever compete with real quality headphones. They might compete with $40-$50 headphones but obviously gamers will choose one with a built-in mic and think that they need 5.1 for better directional audio.

With good headphones and speakers, you can hear exactly where people are. You don't need multi-channel audio. As a very generic and blanket statement, multi-channel audio doesn't have as good of products as stereo does. There are setups where you get an expensive 5.1 or 7.1 receiver and add speakers of your choice but the question of how much good can you fit into a box comes around. The 5.1 and 7.1 receivers are jammed full of equipment and it's difficult to get good wattage output, maybe 100-150 watts per channel on 7 speakers. Not to mention a lot of the cheaper $300-$400 receivers simply die within a few years of use because they're built cheaply. Multi-channel audio is fun to play with but not nearly as practical and affordable as stereo audio.

Hopefully this explains a few things, I know I ran around the subject a bit, I typed it in-between phone calls with customers. Busy morning -_-

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 14:38:00 PM »
Yeah it helped.

And you're right, mine did break after a year of using them, fortunately the warranty was still active back then and I had them replaced. Then again they broke a little a year or 2 after the warranty situation, but then a little glue could just fix it :)

The headphones have 4 audio jacks (3 for output and 1 for input), but as I'm on a laptop I can only use 1 anyway and the only reason I'm using these headphones is because all the cheap shit I've bought for ~15€ has died on me and this is the only pair that still works (although, as I mentioned the plastic broke a little a couple of years ago).

As for the busy morning, it's evening here in Estonia :D but then again it's been pretty busy, too :)
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 14:53:56 PM »
You brought up a good point Teddy. Those headphones are likely better than ones found for $10-$15 both in terms of build quality and sound quality. Also being in Estonia, your selections are probably somewhat limited.

I will say that I owned the Beyerdynamic DT770/80 headphones and those are built like a rock. Unfortunately, I was a bit rough with them and cracked the super hard plastic cup with my screwdriver and then smashed the adjustment component between my chair (wood, heavy) and my desk and...

But they still worked. I could have put some glue in there but I sold them off for parts instead. Just goes to show that even well-built sturdy headphones can be broken even with the best intentions to keep them nice.

Offline 1m50ry

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 17:49:50 PM »
I ve also figured that no review can help u to point on one best card.......its matter of trying 2-3 best and than choose...but i dont want waste 400 eu on cards which ill not use than hahaha

some time ago i wanted buy new sound card but i was reading all reviews and thinking about it so long untill i spent the money for something else hahaha

lately ive read abot ultrasone headphones..that they have inside some special drivers which rocks even on onboard....any experience with these??

and which headphones amp would u recommend to connect to xfi to get better sound in aao.....and would it help???
i ve read about  C.E.C. HD53R-80 amplifier but cant find the price on google lol
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 17:55:37 PM by 1m50ry »

Offline exception

« Reply #24 on: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 18:32:12 PM »
I own the AudioTechnica ATH-AD 700. Have had them for about 5 years and I really like them. I think they were like $120 back then.

Offline zoxee

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 19:00:56 PM »
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, August 09, 2012, 19:36:34 PM »
It does take a fair bit of research & trial to find something that YOU enjoy. I've not tried Ultrasone headphones. I wouldn't recommend plugging any pair of headphones into onboard audio or X-Fi because neither provide enough amplification (not volume, that's different).

Exception named a popular gaming headphone which is really good but I hear they lack a bit of bass and aren't as comfortable as some other models. With that said, they're relatively cheap and give great positional audio.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Friday, August 10, 2012, 02:48:52 AM »
Ordered them with the HD 280's, all i need now is an attachable mic. As for breaking the gamer stereotype, I dont consider myself a gamer, the only games i play now days are diablo 2 and dayz.
you tryina copy me or something? i have the hd 280 pros as well. 

I have the HT Omega Striker sound card. i think it delivers great sound. I've heard good things about the Claro Halo's as well. 

Offline -NicK.!

« Reply #28 on: Friday, August 10, 2012, 03:09:52 AM »
you tryina copy me or something? i have the hd 280 pros as well. 

I have the HT Omega Striker sound card. i think it delivers great sound. I've heard good things about the Claro Halo's as well.
Cool, how do you like them? I am not a huge fan of bass.

Offline Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday, August 10, 2012, 13:08:30 PM »
Cool, how do you like them? I am not a huge fan of bass.
they're really good imo. theres not a lot of bass. everything is pretty much equal all around. you'll love them. I got a good deal on them on amazon like a year ago

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager