Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Can noise be introduced from USB ports?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Can noise be introduced from USB ports?
« on: Sunday, June 05, 2011, 22:48:51 PM »
^ Question ^

I'm curious because I've been thinking of buying an external sound card. I want to know of different ways to connect externals and which introduce least noise.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Can noise be introduced from USB ports?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, June 05, 2011, 23:02:20 PM »
Yea, definitely. I think USB is a future-proof way to go seeing that there's less and less PCI slots on motherboards (some don't even have any). It really depends on the computer though. Grounding issues can introduce noise, so can certain hardware devices. There's just endless combinations that can cause problems. However, someone thought ahead and fixed that. There's devices like this:
http://electronicsshop.dk/isoleret_usb.htm

Although, I don't remember it being $48... Might wanna look around. They do exist and they're pretty common so it shouldn't be too hard to find one. I think it also depends on the sound card too though. Like on my D1 DAC, I can hear my mouse but on the same USB port, it's silent using my Teralink X2 USB to SPDIF converter.

I would say go for a USB device and if you have issues, look for one of those isolation devices.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday, June 06, 2011, 00:03:47 AM »
Okay thanks. Because there's a lot of times Ill connect a laptop to an amp and I can hear noise from grounding issues or from other electronics put real close to each other. Every laptop has a usb port so it's nice to see there are isolators in case the card I use still outputs noise.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #3 on: Monday, June 06, 2011, 01:56:57 AM »
Yea, it's a good idea. If you are looking for a sound device, try to find one with the Tenor USB chip. It's a fantastic cross-platform driverless device. 24-Bit and 96KHz output. A good little intro basic unit would be one of the popular NuForce products. If you're patient you might find a used one on Head-Fi. Aside from that there's ones like the EMU 4040 or something.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 07, 2011, 22:44:07 PM »
I'm probably gonna buy some but I know I'm going to grab some from the thrift store like a poor person :D

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager