Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: [WARNING] Assist Spy on YOU [UPDATE v8.15]  (Read 13941 times)

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

Re: WARNING Assist Spy on YOU
« Reply #75 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 02:22:27 AM »
Wicked they don't do that ;p

Offline CS-ACI-

« Reply #76 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 02:28:21 AM »
Hello,

Time for someone with a little bit of knowledge on this too chime in, and I am only talking about screenshots.

Anybody who has ever played a game that is protected by PunkBuster supplied by EvenBalance should already know that their software can take screen shots of you computers screen.

If the software is capturing something other than the game you are currently playing, do not blame the game provider, blame EvenBalance the provider of PunkBuster.

If you blame the game you are in error, if you blame the game provider you are in error.

Steve

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #77 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 03:26:58 AM »
I know this has pretty much wrapped itself, but I figured I'd post anyway.

[--]
It's not about that, it's about they are breaching the law of distributing a game they are not allowed to do [--]
It seems that you don't want to play AA because it's distributed somebody other than the US army. You've stated this many times over the course of this thread. If that's the case, you're free to stop.

To my knoledge, this ability for Assist to take screenshots had been here ever since Jonny left, all the time the TOS has been the same and everyone has had the chance to read it.
This has nothing to do with whether or not I think it's the 'right' thing to do.

The fact that we no longer take any screenshots, doesn't mean the game we're distrubuted got any more legal than it was before. So if this is still something you're concerned about (even after what Spanky posted), you're free to stop playing.

But all in all, this has been resolved, so I guess it's just my take on the topic.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline OICURMT2!

« Reply #78 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 04:52:12 AM »
The feature that allows screenshots to be taken has been removed from Assist v8.15. The update is scheduled to happen in the next several hours.
Anybody who has ever played a game that is protected by PunkBuster supplied by EvenBalance should already know that their software can take screen shots of you computers screen.

If Assist could figure out how to do this, I suspect no one would have problems with it.

Recently, I play the game on one screen and disable the other two.  This way I know the only image it will return is the game.  I personally never liked the TOS, but if I want to play the game, I have to learn to live within its boundaries.

Removing the screen grabber from 8.15 is probably a good thing, but alas, I suspect that if (once) script kiddies climb back onboard, the community will once again start to whine to Eliz and Co. to control the situation.  It's a clear case of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" and I suspect that if this happens that Eliz, Spanky and the rest don't get paid enough (i.e. probably nothing) to give a damn anymore...

OIC!
--
Oh, I See You Are Empty Too !

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 05:24:48 AM »
This thread was ridiculous.

Steve pointed out the real facts. In addition to that, it's fairly obvious to say that even Punkbuster can take a random picture of your desktop, or the apps you're running at any given time (including your browser). Also consider that the punkbuster screenshots can be public.

http://forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1164

Hello,

Time for someone with a little bit of knowledge on this too chime in, and I am only talking about screenshots.

If the software is capturing something other than the game you are currently playing, do not blame the game provider, blame EvenBalance the provider of PunkBuster.

If you blame the game you are in error, if you blame the game provider you are in error.

Steve

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #80 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 05:34:31 AM »
Not long ago german sofware companie rocket did go to the stock exchange. they live by copying software make it better and sell it. 
The total market value of the company could reach 6.2 billion.
http://www.sprout.nl/artikel/zo-goed-werkt-kopieermachine-rocket-internet

so were are we talking here about a little game whit some happy players! :style:

I have personally talked with developers and higher up people. They have stated on more than one occasion that yes, we don't have permission but there's nothing damaging being done. There's no negative for them, no reason for them to go after us. We are simply keeping THEIR game alive. Their values, their ideas, their work. We aren't taking credit for the work. Sure, some of it had to be decompiled and we have added our own code but the majority of the game is unchanged and I believe as long as it stays that way, they have no reason to pursue us. However, if tomorrow they do decide to give us a cease and desist, we'll comply. We're not trying to fight the system or go against anyone, we simply wanted to keep this game alive. They benefit, the users benefit and we get something fun to do. Win-win-win.

I'll close this statement with a direct quote from one of the people I've talked to;

We all have ties to Vortex Servers. We don't earn money though. Nick, one of the owners, bought out our previous hoster, James (low ping servers). Vortex Servers hosts our website, AAO25.com and hosts several game servers with Assist. The only thing we give him in return are banners on our website, out of respect (he didn't even ask for them). He doesn't pay us, we don't pay him. Any money he's making from selling servers is purely to compensate for the bandwidth/disk space/support that they are using up.

Oh no, you cracked my identity! :)

In all seriousness, let's discuss this like adults rather than subtly threatening people and scaring others. There's nothing to hide and nothing to broadcast. It's all been outlined in the TOS, nobody should be outraged. Whether the TOS is legal or not, that doesn't matter. The whole point of it is to outline what Assist is and what it does. If you don't agree with it, you can uninstall. It's that simple. If people don't read it, they can't be mad at us, we tried to tell them. It comes up as a big box when you install and every time we update. It's not like we're hiding it. I personally spent a lot of time trimming the TOS down to essentials and to cover everything that happens.

I can't think of a website or other example where real personal information would be exposed. Even e-mails, you just see a list of topics, it's not like it's interactive and you can go digging. Same for financial websites, they don't supply you with information that can be used to compromise your identity. They only give you partial information like the last couple of numbers (if that) and don't give any personal information away. Any critical websites that deal with financial or personal information also don't show you passwords, they come up as little dots. As remote as the possibility is, I don't see anything to be gained. Besides, if our goal was to steal information and identities, we would have already done it.

So, we're not bad guys and maybe you agree. Then let's talk about the data. It is stored on the auth server, somewhere (I don't even know the exact location, IP or whatever). It is not publicly accessible. There's no web interface that can be hacked, nothing vulnerable. The data is only linked to users via BTID. We can only say, this screenshot belongs to this account. As you can imagine this is valuable from the standpoint of anti-cheat. It's very easy to see if there is a hack or exploit program running. We have banned users on this information when no other proof was available.

This feature is a far cry from what happened before. That had to do with being able to pull files off the computer. This is taking a screenshot. Most users will never have this happen to them. It is something that is only done when there is significant suspicion or partial evidence. It's not like a screenshot is being taken every 5 seconds on everybody's computer.

With all that said, if the community feels better with that feature removed and understands that our ability to keep the game clean will likely lessen, we can remove it.
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 05:39:46 AM by Vanoke »

Offline Bart!

« Reply #81 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 06:00:15 AM »
If Assist could figure out how to do this, I suspect no one would have problems with it.

Recently, I play the game on one screen and disable the other two.  This way I know the only image it will return is the game.  I personally never liked the TOS, but if I want to play the game, I have to learn to live within its boundaries.

Removing the screen grabber from 8.15 is probably a good thing, but alas, I suspect that if (once) script kiddies climb back onboard, the community will once again start to whine to Eliz and Co. to control the situation.  It's a clear case of "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" and I suspect that if this happens that Eliz, Spanky and the rest don't get paid enough (i.e. probably nothing) to give a damn anymore...

OIC!
I was thinking the same thing, just wait until a new hack gets coded which is only seen by punkbuster screenshots.

By the way, to all players here having a problem with this feature:
Open up your task manager, disable pnkbstrA.exe

It might stop you from playing any punkbuster game, but at least it is not spying on you anymore.
http://battletracker.com/forum/america-s-army-2-x-forums/america-s-army-discussions/178431-pb-is-taking-screens-of-your-desktop/

I do think it is good to have the discussion about the screenshot function, so we at least are on one line now.

And, outside of my admin position, I personally want to say this about the argument of the game not officially supported by the makers:
It is very sad that you come with all these arguments just because 203s got removed, you are now having a grudge against us and it seems like you are trying to stop us in any way.
What is your goal, do you really feel concerned that the game is not distributed by the US army anymore, or are you simply mad because of the latest community poll?
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 06:22:19 AM by Bart! »

Offline Yahoo

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 06:36:32 AM »
Of course you are 100% right. And then you have issues like:
- "where are SS stored?"
- "for how long?"
- "who can access it?"
- "how it is protected?"
etc.

This topic might have started for the wrong reasons but those are actually pertinent questions.

Offline KARI-30

Offline bollie

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 07:35:02 AM »
Allready take  care off  now.

Now i want to see a new TOS Posted...

Offline Endy

Re: [WARNING] Assist Spy on YOU [UPDATE v8.15]
« Reply #85 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 08:23:18 AM »
Thread title update & added an update in the first post.

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #86 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
Like spanky said, you guys have another way of doing to avoid any hacking, removing this feature pleases me and we can frag on.

Just to say, punkbuster takes only game screenshots not a desktop. By reading the latest updates...

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #87 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 11:40:00 AM »
Just to say, punkbuster takes only game screenshots not a desktop. By reading the latest updates...

But AA2 runs a old version of Punkbuster, they haven't updated it in ages.

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 12:48:57 PM »
Im loling hard here. What a circus.
You guys dissapointed me.
Remove all anti cheat features, give'em what they want. I can use they arguments and reach a level wich leads to the end of this all, or you go full "correct" And "legal" or keep all necessary stuff for a better expirience in-game.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
« Reply #89 on: Sunday, October 19, 2014, 12:50:09 PM »
And if u dont agree dont use assist and gtfo.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager