Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Running Assit 2.5 - Mac (INTEL)  (Read 2537 times)

Offline svyatonmac

Running Assit 2.5 - Mac (INTEL)
« on: Saturday, June 09, 2012, 18:35:48 PM »
Hello!

Just recently found-out about this service (AA 2.5) and decided to try it on my PowerPC (G4) on which the game worked officially before (some time back), but now it isn't up to the challenge and just pauses and freezes a lot.

Therefore I gave it a try on a Macbook Pro (Intel) with 256mb of video and an i5 processor (mid 2010). The game now 'seems' to work perfectly no matter high or low graphic setting are, but strangely I can't get kills as easily as I used to, and it's now nearly impossible unless the enemy is a complete noob or can't see.
I've discovered a way to check the fps (frames per second) of the game and discovered that it's usually between 20-40, but during action is usually under 20. I asked my friend who runs the game in Windows using a PC and he says he's getting numbers in their 60s no matter the situation (normal graphics)
I am also quite confident that the problem is not with the internet as I've asked people and they say that my ping is around 20 most of the time.

Therefore my question is: "Is it just me who simply needs practice or it's the fact that I'm playing the game in this way and my computer simply can't process all of the data quickly enough and therefore I see the enemy after they see me thus I have a lot less time to react and I die?".

Please Help! Thank You! ;)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Running Assit 2.5 - Mac (INTEL)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, June 09, 2012, 18:44:04 PM »
It's probably having a hard time because the game is ported for Mac. Since you have an Intel CPU, it would be worthwhile to install Windows as you'll probably get more performance. The GPU in your computer isn't super high end but you should get more than 20 FPS. You'll want to play above 40FPS otherwise responsive issues will happen. Ping isn't the only internet issue you should worry about, it's jitter too. http://pingtest.net.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline svyatonmac

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 16:48:52 PM »
I'm now sure (according to the game statistics) that the problem is not the connection as my ping is usually around 20 (definitely below 50) and no packets are lost or delivered unequally (no jitter).
Another thing is that the game only really needs 32mb of video, at least that's what stated in the requirements and what I have is 256mb, thus more than enough.

I know that installing Windows is the best solution but that's not currently possible.

I'm just hoping that some Mac user like me would show-up and tell what their experience is.

Also what do you mean by "responsive issues"?

Offline ^^UnDiSpUtEd^^

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 16:54:26 PM »
You are better on pc than on MAC . PC for this game is better than mac or linux. You get less kills and a lot of deaths becaus eit's a mac's foult.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 16:54:43 PM »
By responsive issues I mean that if you don't have the proper frames, you can't respond in-game as fast because you're getting delayed info on the screen. I have a 8600GT with 256MB of RAM and that's really not enough for the game. Some maps will use more than 256MB of video memory. I would say the minimum RAM is 320MB or 512MB for highest detail.

Offline ^^UnDiSpUtEd^^

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 16:56:08 PM »
By responsive issues I mean that if you don't have the proper frames, you can't respond in-game as fast because you're getting delayed info on the screen. I have a 8600GT with 256MB of RAM and that's really not enough for the game. Some maps will use more than 256MB of video memory. I would say the minimum RAM is 320MB or 512MB for highest detail.

Anyways to fix this because my friend also getting some sort of problem on MAC:)
Or just do clean up?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, June 10, 2012, 16:57:35 PM »
If it's a laptop, not much you can do. If it's a desktop, upgrading the video card would help but Mac video cards are expensive.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager