Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Ping levels, possible to fix?  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Forza

• View Profile
Ping levels, possible to fix?
« on: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 05:46:07 AM »
Hello developers,

As you might know, the pings on the scoreboard are displayed wrongly. This happened somewhere around the 2.3 patch. The ping that shows for yourself is correct, but the pings of other people have been divided by 1000/255. So if it shows an opponent has 15 ping, it's actually about 60 ping (which is a lot more realistic). The number is also 'capped' by 255, and starts counting from 0 again if you exceed 255 (modulo 255). It has always bothered me.... and especially that other people do not know this and think they really have only 15 ms lag.

Is it in your ability to modify the output on the hud to finally show it correctly? The fixes I've seen for AA25assist are all pretty much workarounds that do not touch the ingame code, so I have my doubts. If it's not possible, then this post is at least somewhat informative :).

Jonnym

Re: Ping levels, possible to fix?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 06:07:12 AM »
Yes I'm sure it could be done, But i doubt anyone where would want to devote the huge amount of time that would be needed to fix this, also it would require another update that would break backwards compatibility and you have see the mess that happened last time we did such an update.

Offline Forza

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 06:18:19 AM »
It seems pretty straightforward to me, but I might be missing some details. Do you have full access to the engine code? To me, it seems then that you could look up the line where the ping values for your opponents are assigned, and multiply it by 1000/255, as a quick fix. This would still be buggy for people with more than 1 second of lag, but fixes it for most. Anything I'm overlooking?

Of course, if you touch the main files, everybody would have to download em again, so I see the problem with backwards compatibility. But this could be part of a 'big update', if it really is as simple as I think it is.
« Last Edit: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 06:28:11 AM by Forza »

Offline Gekkou

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 13:22:37 PM »
I think things like this just add more to what can break in the future for little reward.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 13:59:40 PM »
Yes I'm sure it could be done, But i doubt anyone where would want to devote the huge amount of time that would be needed to fix this, also it would require another update that would break backwards compatibility and you have see the mess that happened last time we did such an update.

Quoted for truth.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 05, 2012, 17:16:43 PM »
You see, right now people can use the original installation of 2.5. Assist takes care of merging and adding files to run properly, but if we were to start modifying core components of the game, then everything gets messy and we have to worry about much more.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager