Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 24736 times)

Offline -GrAz

• View Profile
Re: Greetings
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 17:59:06 PM »
what about if we ask to the battletracker team to run an authorization server that points to the usernames registered in their log in database?

That  would be ideal really as they have a massive database of exisiting users, but I cant see it happening, Homey is never on the website as it is these days doubt he would want to enter into passing details across.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 18:11:54 PM »
That  would be ideal really as they have a massive database of exisiting users, but I cant see it happening, Homey is never on the website as it is these days doubt he would want to enter into passing details across.

It would also be better having total control of the system instead of relying on someone else to update/fix code you're unfamiliar with.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline -GrAz

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 18:21:20 PM »
It would also be better having total control of the system instead of relying on someone else to update/fix code you're unfamiliar with.

yep that too, has there been an increase in 2.5 players recently at all? im too lazy to search for stats ive had a busy few days ^^

Offline Whoopass

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 00:36:21 AM »
Lots of great talk about things, but i think you're over thinking a lot of things on one hand and missing the expenses on the another.

First off, if you want to provide more attractiveness to the game, you have to provide more functionality to the administrators. You absolutely can't remove what's already available to them because if you haven't noticed, it's why more servers turned into modded ones; the people hosting them want the power to change them. What you see on most servers now is call AA mods - http://aamods.com/ (it's probably what lead to the army deciding to end AA2 auth as they found a way to hack it) - so you really couldn't make the auth a paid thing if you want this to succeed (that will be tough).

So in hindsight of that, features like the player admin and server customization is going to have to be there if you plan on getting more members to come back.

So now you'll say what about the security issues? Well two things, you guys did have the right idea on the database thing with battletracker, but instead of using it, why not just get a dump of the user names, more specifically the PB GUIDs. Which leads to the next thing, use the PB GUID tracker http://www.evenbalance.com/ to lock security based on tag and player name locks, so people can't log in using your name or clan tag - and thus not take over your server. The problem is this is a paid service by PB - but you may be able to make a server script that will do the same thing.

Moving forward, in regards to servers, buy a dedicated one. They cost probably 200-400 a month (depending on specs) but you can get like 10 IPs and then sell the service of servers to 10 groups for $40/month of an auth server - with no slot limits. Or introduce slot limits and make a little more. http://www.gameservers.com/dedicated/ (this is just one among the other many providers out there).

Realistically if you want to reduce load on the auth server then what you need to do is make information store locally on the servers running where the players join and then have them upload that information back after the players session. This means you'd have to configure the server's end as well that are running the AA servers - so that they store the information - which forces everyone to run your scripts or not be tracked / auth. That could be a downside but the upside is then you could make the auth server something simple like a web server that just holds a lot of information and have all the servers talk to it. Or have the servers store the information in a file for up to a period of time and then update the server information after a period of say 5 minutes or 10 minutes depending on the load. Very similar to how battletracker works (just they pull from the actual game and the game servers - you guys would be customizing the game server with your scripts to load straight from the servers.

This may be a smarter way to start to see if people start biting. Just some ideas.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 05:43:51 AM »
Just to toss it out there, I've (painstakenly) gotten the old mAAp forums running again. I know there was a lot of good ideas on there, not just for maps. It should be setup as read-only so don't try to go and register and post, it's not meant as an active forum, just a data archive.

So, here it is:
http://maap.natescomp.com

I did this because I know I sent a letter out to Pragmatic and I believe to some devs or public relations people at America's Army. Maybe it's possible to get in touch with the right people and rebuild the old game with the right tools. Worth a shot.

Perhaps a starting point with THE guy that ported 2.5 to linux and mac...
https://bugzilla.icculus.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=America's%20Army
http://twitter.com/icculus
« Last Edit: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 05:52:03 AM by Spanky »

Offline Hybrede

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 08:59:54 AM »
Hello all i have no idea how to help but i approve of this game.

p.s skrewy sent me
 :o

Offline urban-ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 09:17:39 AM »
wassup folks, just thought i'd post to share my support.

if there's anything i can assist with, i would be happy to do so, competent with php and 3d gfx

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 09:52:05 AM »
Just to toss it out there, I've (painstakenly) gotten the old mAAp forums running again. I know there was a lot of good ideas on there, not just for maps. It should be setup as read-only so don't try to go and register and post, it's not meant as an active forum, just a data archive.

So, here it is:
http://maap.natescomp.com

I did this because I know I sent a letter out to Pragmatic and I believe to some devs or public relations people at America's Army. Maybe it's possible to get in touch with the right people and rebuild the old game with the right tools. Worth a shot.

Perhaps a starting point with THE guy that ported 2.5 to linux and mac...
https://bugzilla.icculus.org/describecomponents.cgi?product=America's%20Army
http://twitter.com/icculus

Thank you for taking back the mAAp forum, i'm pretty interested about custom map making and since AAmissionDepot went down (they stopped paying that domain months way before shutting down the auth/honour services!) a lot of custom related content has gone.

I took a look at Gordon's work and i was impressed. This guy ported many of the most important titles that can be played on Linux.

p.s. a guy from our clan got some kind of a response from AA official developers (from Phoenix), still it honestly isn't that much:

Quote from: Phoenix
We're quickly working to put together solid information that will assist the AA2 community. Please let us know of any resources that you find helpful. Hopefully we'll have this sorted out very soon.

Offline JunK

« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 11:41:14 AM »
Sounds nice the new maps..  ;D

if there is some help needed, Im in! I will just do everything, to bring this legendary game back a life!!!

Offline -GrAz

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 15:11:10 PM »
p.s. a guy from our clan got some kind of a response from AA official developers (from Phoenix), still it honestly isn't that much:

Im impressed he got a reply, damn site more than what I got (nothing) after several emails and PM's.

I

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 15:50:09 PM »
Im impressed he got a reply, damn site more than what I got (nothing) after several emails and PM's.

Same here.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 16:11:24 PM »
Same here.

well lets see what else can we get from this? is a huge step in the rigth direction.
BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Offline SunshineReggae

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 16:48:46 PM »
was greatest games ever.. more than 2000 hours played.. and all 4 nothing :/

i really hope they will bring us aa2 back..

Offline JunK

« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 17:13:08 PM »
was greatest games ever.. more than 2000 hours played.. and all 4 nothing :/

i really hope they will bring us aa2 back..

Try to help us & invite old clans and players back to 2.5 and about this great community and there plans.  :D

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, December 28, 2011, 17:36:40 PM »
Try to help us & invite old clans and players back to 2.5 and about this great community and there plans.  :D

Not to be a downer but has anyone actually said that work will be done on 2.5? My understanding about this thread is that it's just talk and ideas. I think what needs to happen first is the players themselves need to show interest and motivation for an "AA Classic" to be brought back. There's been several people that have put a lot of work (most notably, Jonny) into trying to keep 2.5 alive and interesting. As far as I'm concerned, all the efforts have failed to keep a significant user base. I mean, someone mentioned a server of 20 people? Even 50 people isn't worth the time and effort to rebuild AA.

What we need (IMO):
Someone knowledgeable in UScript - I don't imagine Berry (Crusade) is available much anymore. There's TONS of coders for UT2004, or at least there used to be. There's got to be someone that would love the opportunity to do something unique. I actually know someone that loves UT and is learning C++, that might pan out interesting.
A decent version of the UnrealEd engine - What we have isn't meant for 2.5, it just happens to work.
A way to form an authentication/tracking database - Some interesting links:
http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/522253-Uscript-MySQL-Class
http://ut2004.titaninternet.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15293

It would be cool to talk to some devs and beta testers to see if we can get a hold of some files. It might also be a good idea to look into the old hackers that made honor hacks, they might know a bit about how the authentication or player database system worked - enough to replicate our own.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager