Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Getting New Players  (Read 14979 times)

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: Avguste
Getting New Players
« on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 00:49:47 AM »
Opening this thread to discuss and come with ideas on how to get more new players and how to keep those players active:

-advertise the game on gaming sites such as Gaming on Linux, LinuxGames, MMORPG.com, MPOGD and so forth

-contact http://www.bugsgang.com/ and try to combine forces

-keep all the flame wars, spams and all negative discussions out of the shoutbox. That is why we have forums and private messages
« Last Edit: Monday, February 09, 2015, 00:56:01 AM by august »

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

Re: Getting New Players
« Reply #1 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 03:50:04 AM »
I like your passion but it won't work, we already done that.

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #2 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 04:39:43 AM »
Opening this thread to discuss and come with ideas on how to get more new players and how to keep those players active:

-advertise the game on gaming sites such as Gaming on Linux, LinuxGames, MMORPG.com, MPOGD and so forth

-keep all the flame wars, spams and all negative discussions out of the shoutbox. That is why we have forums and private messages
if you have idears you can work on it. Talking is 1  to do sumthing is 2 , thats the point.  You can try ore led it die.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #3 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 06:24:31 AM »

I like your motivation !

I totally agree with the shoutbox thing, I believe it is scaring some people away to see some people arguing about this and that ...

And about busgang, is it like chevyplace? Same concept?

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #4 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 08:51:19 AM »
I would guess bugsgang would be something similar, but I'm not sure.

I know Chevy's place has next to noone playing, every time I've tried to look at their site it says 0 players, so not really anyone to "join forces" with there. But as I said, I don't know about bugsgang so it might be a bit different there.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 09:38:38 AM »
if you have idears you can work on it. Talking is 1  to do sumthing is 2 , thats the point.  You can try ore led it die.

Here is the thing. Anyone can do advertisements, but for those advertisements to be considered official and for gaming sites to even consider a game, let alone a game such as AA25, the info needs to be sent by admins.

To ArmyAntiCheat, have you guys sent publicity emails to those sites on a regular basis? How about sending private messages to players on the official AA forums? It is all about constant publicity and what I like to call "legal harassment"

But really, what would be needed is a publicity team (1-2, possibly 3 people) whose jobs would be to constantly promote AA25 in all possible and legal locations.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 09, 2015, 09:51:59 AM by august »

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #6 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 10:03:42 AM »
Well, what AAC did (I suppose about a year ago) was go to some of the (Mac?) gaming sites and promote us. A lot of the people thought it was spam, though, because he posted the exact same message everywhere.
With that said, I don't know of any "official" communication.

We did do a mass email some time ago. But the problem is, we don't have all the emails of everyone who ever played AA (or used a tracker account) since we don't control tracker (plus we had some other problems, you can search the forum for them if you wish).

It would definitely be awesome if there was a few people who were doing advertisement. And I don't personally feel it has to be an admin. Just posting about our project does not really depend on that. I suppose we would, of course, need to have a clear understanding of what we're promoting/advertising. Because, as has been stated time and time again on these forums, we don't own AA (in fact, in reality we're probably violating the EULA by modifying it), the only thing we can advertise is Assist, which provides authentication in order to play AA in a safe environment.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 11:40:47 AM »
Well, what can be promoted is AA and the availability of old version AA.
As far as contacting players, I see two methods:

-go on official AA forums and private message all players posting in old AA boards.
-go to battletracker and private message/email players who were playing AA.

There is no problem with posting the same message on different websites, but the thing would be for Assist to be listed on gaming sites as a game/gaming software.

But seriously, the thing that needs to fixed right way is this shoutbox/Assist chat. There is too much spamming, flaming and drama on there.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 09, 2015, 11:54:16 AM by august »

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 12:14:45 PM »
Bad point is the name of this: AAO25  / 25Assist .
It needs a action name ,  If you make mergandice than adleast whit First Person Shooter  ( tactical gameplay) in front of it

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 12:37:41 PM »
Like teddy said, I have done lots of advertising after the launch of new client. I went through most of gaming forums not just MAC but pc too promoting and advertising the game, the player base then increased up to 200 when the client has been released with advertisement all together, but it all went to standard player base eventually, to me it just looks impossible to keep 200 player base, since AA has done mostly everything they could to get more people it always seems to drop after sometime. I like your passion, I bet everyone does but this has been discussed many times, even on private forums how to improve player base, to be honest I believe we have went out of ideas, promoting game on steam would definitely increase player base but steam won't do that. If you have time and willingness, then of you go and do the best to bring more people to the game. If anyone has good ideas I believe they say it here, there could be more accomplishment done if we work together towards getting this community bigger and wider just throw out some ideas on the table. I been banned on most of those forums I advertised considering it was a spam but lets keep discussion open.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 12:46:31 PM »
Even after everything I've been involved in to make AA2 in the minds of the players over at AAPG, there is still people that don't know that AA2 still exist in the form of 25Assist.

One way we could add awareness, would to voluntary use a banner that advertised http://aao25.com as a signature over at AAPG forum, or even perhaps as a steam icon(I don't know if that is possible).

What I say is that we might need some "official" banners to be used.

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 13:45:02 PM »
Absolutely Eliz!! Great place to start!!

-Regarding steam, what I have done is added Assist to my games manually, but I do agree that the name would need to be changed to something more recognizable. Maybe AA2-Assist or something similar. This way we don't lose the Assist identity and becomes more recognizable.

-for gaming forums/sites, I believe having an Assist developer post the info would be better than a regular player. In addition, there is need for only 1 thread per site/forum and that thread should be modified somehow.

-track your gameplay on Raptr.com. They already have an AA2 communities which you can join at http://raptr.com/game/Americas-Army-20 and http://raptr.com/game/Americas-Army-Special-Forces

And PLEASE, remove the shoutbox/Assist chat. It is only drama. If players have problems with a server, they need to email the server admin instead of posting here.
From the stats Eliz posted yesterday, everyone can see that Assist is getting new/returning players, however in my humble opinion, once they see all the crap on shoutbox/Assist chat, they are being turned off..
« Last Edit: Monday, February 09, 2015, 13:56:24 PM by august »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:00:09 PM »
And PLEASE, remove the shoutbox/Assist chat. It is only drama. If players have problems with a server, they need to email the server admin instead of posting here.
From the stats Eliz posted yesterday, everyone can see that Assist is getting new/returning players, however in my humble opinion, once they see all the crap on shoutbox/Assist chat, they are being turned off..

That is perfectly right but i find the shoutbox to be just showing which kind of people play the game right now. So the issue would still be with the people (like the ones who managed to get banned on AA2, on AAPG servers and even on some clan forums due to their utterly awesome behavior *coughwolfcough*)

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:05:21 PM »
The issue of the shoutbox is that it represents the Assist community wrongly because of a few bad apples.
I would rather have a stats page showing players activity in game like the ones Eliz posted than the shoutbox.

Also, the whole home page needs a complete overhaul. To be specific, the home page should show only official news about Assist development, community news (written in an official tone) and a Must have is an About Assist. A player who comes on here has currently no way to know what Assist 2.5 is about.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #14 on: Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:11:33 PM »
We do have a Steam group that needs some work, maybe it should be advertised more?
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/AAO25

Also, the whole home page needs a complete overhaul. To be specific, the home page should show only official news about Assist development, community news (written in an official tone)
That's what we have now. The homepage is for news, both community and development. There just hasn't been much development lately. There have been updates but nothing that's really news worthy. We could probably announce things more but at what point does it become spam?

a Must have is an About Assist. A player who comes on here has currently no way to know what Assist 2.5 is about.
This is something that's been mentioned before. We have a whole pile of information on how to use Assist but nothing what what it actually IS. I think we all just assume that anyone coming here would know what it's about. That's not how we get new players though.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager