Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Game crashes in win7  (Read 5936 times)

Offline beurt

• View Profile
Game crashes in win7
« on: Monday, January 30, 2012, 17:03:57 PM »
Hi fellow AA enthusiasts,

Before i start stating any known bugs or crashes i wanne thank the people who brought the original AA back to life. I played the game in 2003 in all it's glory and i hope that'll return.

So i got this problem that the game just freezes up during a match or training, i can't do anything but hard-reset my computer and start again. The strange thing is that i've been having the same problem with AA 3... This happens random during gameplay.

My system specs:
Win7 enterprise 64bit (fully updated)
q6600; 4GB RAM; HD5870 (catalyst 11.12)

Has anyone experienced the same issue ?

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Game crashes in win7
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 30, 2012, 17:07:01 PM »
The strange thing is that i've been having the same problem with AA 3... This happens random during gameplay.

This explains it. Hardware issues. Grab yourself a few programs;

Prime95 (run a blend test) and CoreTemp - These run in Windows and will put your CPU at 100% load. If your computer freezes then you know it's something with your CPU/Memory.

Next, run Memtest (burn it to a CD and boot from it). This will scan for memory errors.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline -{BOTs}-BOSS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 30, 2012, 17:14:06 PM »
I had a other Question ? when doing work on your computer do you reboot also? out of the blue? or your system just gets stuck?

Offline -{BOTs}-BOSS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 30, 2012, 17:15:39 PM »
Reason i ask is because that sounds like a CPU Over heating Problem,.

Offline beurt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 04:31:59 AM »
@ Spanky,
I ran prime95 which gave 0 warning and 0 errors during 5 tests. I had a question about memtest though, should i get "memtest86+" or just "memtest" ? Thanx for helping me out!

@ BOTs_BOSS
I don't get a blue screen, it just freezes during matches and the onlything left to do is pushing the reset button (the screen doesn't change it just keeps on displaying the freezedup game).

I'm gonna test if other games react the same, thanx for the already usefull information :)

Offline beurt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 10:58:00 AM »
Alrighty,

So i tested playing Skyrim and Left 4 dead 2, they both ran smoothly without any crashes.
This + the fact that my OS runs great concludes that it's a AA related problem.
Again, if anyone experiences the same game freeze, please let me know.

If i stumble upon a fix i'll post it here.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 15:32:36 PM »
@ Spanky,
I ran prime95 which gave 0 warning and 0 errors during 5 tests. I had a question about memtest though, should i get "memtest86+" or just "memtest" ? Thanx for helping me out!

If you ran Prime95 for 5 tests, that was like what, 10 minutes? You'll want to run it for 8 hours at a minimum on blend mode. I should have mentioned this.

For memtest, you want the ISO of memtest86+ which you will burn to a CD and boot from.

Offline Calevey

• View Profile
    • SASF Clan
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 02:13:33 AM »
If you ran Prime95 for 5 tests, that was like what, 10 minutes? You'll want to run it for 8 hours at a minimum on blend mode. I should have mentioned this.

For memtest, you want the ISO of memtest86+ which you will burn to a CD and boot from.
It's not necessary to run Prime for 8 hours if we are not talking about overclocked cpu & memory. Testing with other games and short run in Prime is enough for stability test.

All I can think is to test different graphics drivers (older and the new ones). I have had troubles with L4D2 which makes my graphics card freeze sometimes although other games work just fine. It has crashed the whole system maybe once or twice and every other time (when this problem occurs) it has taken just some moments from gpu to recover without a need for reboot.

Before you try different drivers, remember to wipe out the previous ones. At least if you're switching from new to old version.
- Getting old, cold and slow -

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 02:27:18 AM »
It's not necessary to run Prime for 8 hours if we are not talking about overclocked cpu & memory. Testing with other games and short run in Prime is enough for stability test.

It's only necessary if you want a stable computer. Some people go nuts and say 24 hours of Prime95. I've read a lot and the consensus is that most do 8-10 hours. It doesn't matter if your CPU is overclocked or not, it can still be faulty out of the box. Memory faults can develop (although rare) and components need time to warm up (not 8 hours but testing after components have reached their maximum temp is needed). Prime95 will quickly bring out voltage issues, overheating issues, CPU issues, Memory issues, and chipset issues. It's a great program to start with.

I've personally had computers that are stable for 4 hours of Memtest but 5-6 hours they would lock up. This means they're not stable. It's not a simple "oh, it works for 5 minutes, it must be fine" scenario.

Offline Calevey

• View Profile
    • SASF Clan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 03:12:51 AM »
If games like Skyrim & L4D2 work without a problem and AA2 doesn't, there's no need to run Prime for 8 hours.

A short run with Prime is enough to tell if the hardware is stable for "regular" use, because softwares like Prime stresses the computer more than it usually have to take in gaming, video & audio processing etc.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 03:18:07 AM »
Different games/engines stress in different ways. AA is really CPU heavy. I'm just saying what I personally do for my computers and my customer's computers. I've never had a single complaint about a refurbished or custom built computer that left my hands because one of the stress testing steps I perform is running Prime95 for 8 hours.

I'll be the first one to say that there is no standard for "stable". There might be for the military but that's a different story. But really, how can you be sure enough to eliminate a probable cause without testing beyond the shadow of a doubt?

Offline Calevey

• View Profile
    • SASF Clan
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 03:44:11 AM »
There's nothing wrong with testing the system and hardware carefully, but as there isn't any standard as you said, we can't really tell if the system will crash in 24h (or beyond that) although it would be up for 4-8 hours. There's always a little doubt really. Test run for 8h with Prime is a good guideline though for "regular" usage, but I don't see that necessary.

@beurt: Check if there's any information in 'Event viewer' by any chance. Try running AA for some time in windowed mode and watch the temperatures of your CPU and GPU.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 04:18:32 AM »
I am more about eliminating things in steps and an overnight run of Prime95 is part of that. I think it's crucial for any computer that sees regular usage.

I will agree with you and say temperatures should be one of the first things done as it's the easiest :)

Offline beurt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »
Hey fellahs,

Thanx for the info, i ran AA as long as my pc allowed with a tempmonitor for GPU and CPU. They didn't
max out at all, CPU was about 38°C and GPU around 40°C.

I should metion that i did overclock a while back to a stable 3.4Ghz, but my CPU didn't go over 60°C.
Every game ran smoothly, i installed AA a couple of days back and thats the only game i got this issue.
I'll try running Prime longer but i'll fish out software issues first cause i believe it is more likely.

I tested this with my HD5870 on drivers 11.12 and 12.1.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 13:00:27 PM by beurt »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, February 01, 2012, 14:27:52 PM »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager