Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Community  (Read 26216 times)

Offline -[unR]BENDAWICH

Re: Community
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 17:31:45 PM »
They should make me admin iam british after all =p

Offline natoorrussia

« Reply #136 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 18:00:22 PM »
Latest shoutbox entry:

"..Ba^La..Kengacero 2m [ASSIST]
@LE=M!chelzim: Ban Removido (Ban Removed) Ba^La Server"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a proof that this discussion has already made some real impact?

LOL

See? That's what I was trying to explain to you. All it takes is to create a bit of pressure. Admins that knowingly abuse will recognize this pressure immediately and will correct their actions.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 18:03:42 PM by natoorrussia »

Offline Alex

« Reply #137 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 18:39:17 PM »
Of course solutions that involve tedious manual work are bad.

But hey, this shouldn't be something new to you guys. All this management of "1 account only" rule is already tons of manual work now. Just look at "can someone active my account, please" messages in shoutbox - they are appearing every day.

I wonder who caused that policy to be put into place?
Seriously though, I think what he meant was that we already have enough stuff to keep track of, adding on more stuff would be counterproductive to the game. People complain that we don't play enough but then want to give us more work to do.

If you would admit that "we don't want to do nothing about it", I would be ok (from a logic point of view).

But you have written "there's little we can do". That's an obviously false statement. I'm dissapointed to hear that from a person that is involved in math.

We don't want to do anything about it, at least not right now. We want to fix the issue, but there aren't any obvious solutions to go about doing it.
For example, forcing rules onto server admins wouldn't work because, as someone else pointed out, what would be the punishment for not enforcing said rules? We can't ban someone for not enforcing a 30 sec no spam rule, that's ridiculous. Also, the manual labor in making sure servers don't ban players permanently would be ridiculous. We'd also run the risk of punishing a clan leader and their whole clan abandoning AA, which we obvious wouldn't want.

One idea that could work would be a server blacklist. Something that, if given enough proof (and it would have to be a lot), we could put a server on the list of servers for people to avoid. That or take it a step further and disable tracking on it.

This entire discussion has one huge problem though. Most of these server issues tend to be a he said she said situation with different stories from both sides. We can't believe one player over another so most of these abuses would go unpunished or undocumented due to lack of proof.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 18:40:52 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline natoorrussia

« Reply #138 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 19:42:00 PM »
[...] We don't want to do anything about it, at least not right now. We want to fix the issue, but there
aren't any obvious solutions to go about doing it. [...]

And such statement is perfectly acceptable for me, unlike the Teddy's ("there is nothing we can do").

For example, forcing rules onto server admins wouldn't work because, as someone else pointed out, what would be the punishment for not enforcing said rules? We can't ban someone for not enforcing a 30 sec no spam rule, that's ridiculous.

Of cours it's ridiculous, let's discuss only the reasonable ideas.

Also, the manual labor in making sure servers don't ban players permanently would be ridiculous.

Here we disagree, the effort doesn't have to be large, just pay _ANY_ attention, FFS. (sorry for the explenative, but it's frustrating how many times do I have to repeat this one single fact).

We'd also run the risk of punishing a clan leader and their whole clan abandoning AA, which we obvious wouldn't want.

Here you are being inconsistent with your actions (as assist admin(s)). Normally, when you are trying to persue some ideas that you consider "right", you accept the fact that some people may leave. Take for example the screenshotting thing, the training thing, etc, etc. So far you acted like admins that dictate the rules and it was all right.

Now, you claim to be afraid that "some" players may get annoyed and leave.

I say you are being inconsistent with yourself.

This entire discussion has one huge problem though. Most of these server issues tend to be a he said she said situation with different stories from both sides. We can't believe one player over another so most of these abuses would go unpunished or undocumented due to lack of proof.

You are being inconsistent again. You banned players just because of some screenshots illustrating they have TK-ed. Why can't you use the same approach for server owners???

Offline Alex

« Reply #139 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 20:08:10 PM »
And such statement is perfectly acceptable for me, unlike the Teddy's ("there is nothing we can do").

Of cours it's ridiculous, let's discuss only the reasonable ideas.

Here we disagree, the effort doesn't have to be large, just pay _ANY_ attention, FFS. (sorry for the explenative, but it's frustrating how many times do I have to repeat this one single fact).

Here you are being inconsistent with your actions (as assist admin(s)). Normally, when you are trying to persue some ideas that you consider "right", you accept the fact that some people may leave. Take for example the screenshotting thing, the training thing, etc, etc. So far you acted like admins that dictate the rules and it was all right.

I say you are being inconsistent with yourself.

You are being inconsistent again. You banned players just because of some screenshots illustrating they have TK-ed. Why can't you use the same approach for server owners???

For the TK part, we can actually look up their stats and ROE. It's physical evidence. Who knows how one sided a screenshot of a conversation is? They could have instigated it earlier and it doesn't show the whole conversation anymore in the chat. What if we get a report of an unjust banning, yet there's no proof and the server admin claims the player was being rude and disruptive? Who knows what actually happened and even if someone did decide to take a screenshot, there's no telling if that was all that was said or done.  It's a lot flimsier. There is no inconsistency here, we have hard proof that someone went on a TKing spree or a long time, in an admin abuse case we just have words that each side said and a screenshot that may not show the whole situation.

Also, while I get what you're saying about inconsistency concerning the fear of leaving players, there will be a point where enough is enough for some players. Just because they haven't left yet doesn't mean they won't if we tighten our grip even more on previously unregulated aspects of the game.

Offline natoorrussia

« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 21:12:10 PM »
You just presented a leveled tone, that seems reasonable to me. I feel like I agree with you. But still I will present another view:

When you are ruling/admining/governing/etc., you shall follow _values_. You shall not be feared about wheather someone will leave. You shall have a vision about what you want to achieve, and you shall follow that vision.

Admitting that server owners abuse players, and doing _nothing_ about it, just because you fear them going away... It just doesn't sound right. It doesn't fit the vision of AA you seemed to be fighting for.

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 21:50:11 PM »
i can't understand for the life of me pit, why you haven't been trying to do all this when you where here with assist when people did somewhat like you before all the bullshit you pulled??

people that pay for there servers have there right to do what they want on there server, assist taking that over will only shut down servers

i know if i paid for a server i would not want a outside source telling me what i can and can not do with my server i pay for

since atas left not too many kick/ban happy admins,

Offline Alex

« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 22:41:59 PM »
You just presented a leveled tone, that seems reasonable to me. I feel like I agree with you. But still I will present another view:

When you are ruling/admining/governing/etc., you shall follow _values_. You shall not be feared about wheather someone will leave. You shall have a vision about what you want to achieve, and you shall follow that vision.

Admitting that server owners abuse players, and doing _nothing_ about it, just because you fear them going away... It just doesn't sound right. It doesn't fit the vision of AA you seemed to be fighting for.

It's not just about having a vision of what needs to be done, because without players to play, our vision is nothing. This game was made for the players, it's not some side project Eliz is doing for himself. The players always come first. We have to find the delicate balance between minimizing problems and keeping as many players as possible.

Sure doing nothing may not sound right, but when weighed against the possible fixes, it may be the most logical course of action, or non-action in this case.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 22:43:58 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 01:14:32 AM »
Teddy's ("there is nothing we can do").
If you read my post (and I believe you did, since you quoted it earlier), you'd see I wrote "there's little we can do".

What I meant by that is, that there obviously is something we could do (i.e ban someone or stop tracking their server or w/e), but we currently don't want to do it, since it might not be a fitting punishment.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 03:48:28 AM »

since atas left not too many kick/ban happy admins,

I got a life ban yesterday for telling KK missile hes  still a camper. :)

Went to there web site for a quick look and guess what most of what I seen there, are all campers to. Wont get much sympathy there lol. And I got IGC ban for excat same thing with Zoran. Some ppl dont like the truth. Are they embarrassed?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 03:52:45 AM by No-Nonsense »
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 04:20:35 AM »
there is a fact you can not ignore (and i try to give an example - i hope you will understand it because my english isn't that good):

example 1: a car seller like ford with its new mustangs are telling the consumer after they did buy one of it, that they do have to take all hichhikers with them when one is standing there.

example 2: your landlord are telling you - after you did sign the contract for the rent - that you can not take black ladies with you at your flat, nor a boy at all.

so this is the fact that you can not change something like you wish - just because you think it has to. the one who did buy a mustang will bring it back as soon as possible and the landlord would have an empty flat.

what i would like to say is that i agree that some rules are necessary - everywhere. but to much of them will bring the contrary allways. and i do repeat myself: if you really cut back the admin rights of the server owners, it would bring more troubles then positive effects. there i am sure.

and from an other point of view: as the landlord i can make rules as i like. when one is signing my contract and he is willing to follow it, i can say you should not take boys or black ladies at your flat. so can server owners do what they like to do because YOU decided to join their servers with its good or its bad things. and because he is responsible for whatever he is standing for, he can do what he likes to do.

this is the reality all over the world - and its good like it is, because YOU have to adapt the practise of it when you are a guest somewhere, not the hosts.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 04:31:24 AM by [SWISS]Merlin »

Offline Ganja

« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 04:29:22 AM »
if you really cut back the admin rights of the server owners, it would bring more troubles then positive effects. there i am sure.

Well yeah, that's the sad truth. Server admins wouldn't play the game anymore if they didn't have power to decide who can or cannot play with them ...

Offline zoxee

« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 04:40:47 AM »
Normally, when you are trying to persue some ideas that you consider "right", you accept the fact that some people may leave. Take for example the screenshotting thing, the training thing, etc, etc. So far you acted like admins that dictate the rules and it was all right.

True.

there will be a point where enough is enough for some players.

Wrong. AA is addictive, players will always play.
And if you dictate the right thing, they'll follow along, believe me.
First time hot knifing hash oil, sent me to the moon, zombified. Not a whole lot of fun.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 04:41:24 AM »
but when a player get banned from more than 2-3 servers from different owners, there must be a understandable reason. then i would not search for a restriction of admin power, then i would search by myself, right? :)

and for the others which might have a ban by a clan or a single server: do it like the tenant - if you don't like the landlords restrictions, go and rent another flat. but you can not cut the landlords rights at all.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, May 07, 2014, 04:43:36 AM »
Wrong. AA is addictive, players will always play.
And if you dictate the right thing, they'll follow along, believe me.

i dont believe that, sorry.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager