Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Windows 8
« on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »
I got the Developer Preview installed yesterday and aside from royally fucking over my 7 install, I'm pretty impressed with it. I picked up a few screenshots for you guys. I couldn't figure out how to get shots of the Metro UI but it's pretty plain as-is until 3rd party devs create content for their programs, which is the whole point of this release. I'll be playing with it more in the future but for now this is all I have. Click on the images to see them full size:

2 of the cool new things would be the new Task Manager and multiple monitor taskbars support.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 12:03:25 PM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Alex

Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 18:40:22 PM »
Would it really be worth an upgrade from Windows 7 though? Besides a few things it pretty much looks the same.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 18:43:49 PM »
Keep in mind that it's still a year or two from being done. They just worked on a few features, mainly Metro UI. Things will change but this release was mostly intended for developers to build their applications to work with Metro UI so that when the beta and release come around, programs and Windows will merge more seamlessly.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 16, 2011, 15:48:54 PM »
I really don't like what i see...

need more beta.
BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 16, 2011, 16:27:09 PM »
Another feature I like is that there is a simplistic Malware scanning program upon startup, there's an option to disable it when you press F8 for boot options. Most of the added features and improvements are behind the scenes and everybody is complaining that it looks the same. If only you people had to live through Windows 95, 98 and 2000. You would be bored shitless.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 16, 2011, 22:11:24 PM »
Task manager looks awesome. It also looks like they've flattened out the UI a bit too. Less round and shiny going on.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, September 18, 2011, 15:01:49 PM »
Another feature I like is that there is a simplistic Malware scanning program upon startup, there's an option to disable it when you press F8 for boot options. Most of the added features and improvements are behind the scenes and everybody is complaining that it looks the same. If only you people had to live through Windows 95, 98 and 2000. You would be bored shitless.

i survived every single microsoft windows release since 95, and i have hated every single one of them i barely like windows 7
BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 26, 2011, 07:29:38 AM »
Old good Win 98. I had a Celeron 466 running Win98 up to december 2009 (and my brother actually kept thinking of doing something heavy on it), with firefox 2 that simply used to *stare* at youtube - haha.

Tons of useful services in Win8 too as usual i guess? As for the usual Fax, mixed comm services plus some more...i would love to have on windows on that kind of software center that's made in Ubuntu. Like, gimme a cleaner OS, i'll surely be able to mess it up myself later. 

Another feature I like is that there is a simplistic Malware scanning program upon startup/cut

At startup? Hmm did they really learned something over the years...
« Last Edit: Monday, December 26, 2011, 07:34:53 AM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 26, 2011, 15:58:34 PM »
At startup? Hmm did they really learned something over the years...

I admit, it would be nice to have an advanced setup where you can select the things you use (thus enabling/disabling certain services and features). But yea, there's some kind of quick virus scanning thing. I guess it checks to see if you can boot Windows at all. Not sure how it works.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager