Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: When it rains, it pours  (Read 8421 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
When it rains, it pours
« on: Thursday, September 02, 2010, 23:10:30 PM »
I've been there for a long time, supporting you all and trying to get us all hyped up once again. Shit never worked, apparently. I learned better.
I now need slightly more time to get a run on this and contribute. Give it time and you'll have me in the team.

Dann, you must have great instinct or something. You were right to question my motivation and how long this "gotta do something" spree would last. My goal with the mAAp on 2.8.5 thread was that, as I've said before, I've enjoyed working on mAAp with you guys. I wanted to start that up again. But, I don't know that I want to continue on 2.8.5. Today, 2 other project opportunities revealed themselves. One came in a PM on YouTube (which had very odd timing) and the other came about unknown to a lot of people 10 days ago. I wanted to talk to Blue and Jonny before spreading this around but I honestly can't think of a legitimate reason why I can't share this with you all. The opportunities are:

- I've been, for lack of a better term, invited to work on a new UE3 project. The person that invited me used to be known as VVaFFenPanZZeR but now goes by his name, Jay. Back in the day, he worked with Blueblaster and iZi at AA-Maps.net on AA v2.6. There he created his map "Bridge Crossing NE". When 2.8 and it's editor came out, he busted ass converting it so people could play it legitimately: http://www.aamissiondepot.com/missions/bridge_crossing_northeast Like most of our work for 2.5, his efforts, while appreciated by some, were largely unappreciated. He's since moved onto UE3 and is starting his own game. Basically it's a tank simulator, kind of like BF2 without the cars and being on-foot. You drive around with a tank, complete objectives and have air & artillery support. He's said this to me:
We need a team- I need a team- I know I can't do everything myself- I know how much time you have spent for the same reasons I did with AA- now its time to project all that on a possible cash cow
This is a bit of his game:
http://www.motorcity3d.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5

- Our old buddy America's Army 2.5. Just to refresh minds, the biggest reason I'm not doing anything for 2.5 is not because of the community. It's because of a lack of a distribution method. On August 22nd this changed. Jonny has announced that he'll bring back Assist. (Jonny, I figured since you posted on the official AA forum, that you wouldn't mind me posting it here.) The evidence is pretty solid:

Jonny's Announcement:
http://forum.americasarmy.com/viewtopic.php?p=2955179#2955179
http://aa25assist.sourceforge.net/
Recent Activity: (such as updating his source TODAY)
http://sourceforge.net/users/hsf-jonnym
http://sourceforge.net/projects/aa25assist/

Also, with 2.5 and Jonny, keep in mind the possibility of this sometime down the road:
http://hsc.natescomp.com/index.php?topic=83.0

Why am I bringing this up? Again, I'd like to do something. I realize Dann and Blue don't seem to be enthusiastic about it for whatever reason but, still, it was fun working with you guys. On one hand, I like the idea of a brand new game with the possibility of revenue. On the other hand, 2.5 is very familiar and combining our skills with a program like Jonny's, it really can't be beat. What to do?
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 02, 2010, 23:19:53 PM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
Re: When it rains, it pours
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 02, 2010, 23:18:15 PM »
I've edited the post a bit. Make sure you re-read it before replying.

Offline Alex

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 02, 2010, 23:26:06 PM »
The only people left on AA 2.5 are Israeli hackers, noobs that play on the UN server all day, and other people that are too foolish to know when to move on. Honestly, mAAp had very little audience when 2.5 wasn't completely dead. Nobody likes giving up something they have loved for so long, but 2.5 is as good as gone, as it should be. It would take one hell of a miracle to bring it back. I will always support you whatever project you choose to work on, I am simple just voicing my opinion.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 02, 2010, 23:28:50 PM »
I've spoken with Nate about this on Messenger.

The only way you'll have me back in a team is with a new game and a recent engine.

And there's one condition to that: The game needs to beasty good!

My plan of action: Actually do some recruit. Try to find coders, modellers, sound engineers, writers, animators, what-have-you.

Go serious. I'm sure there's a lot of people that won't create a single thing unless they're paid. I'm also sure there's a lot of people who will, for sheer will.

That's that.
Everything is falling down according to my plan.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Knight

• Teh Hugeburger
  • Dedicated Poster
  • Human Analog
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/61454245@N05/
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 02, 2010, 23:33:54 PM »
Learning a new engine will be hard but I think it will be worth the time and effort. As Killaman said 2.5 is dead and should stay dead.
http://s.postquote.us/uKnight.png[/img][/url]
[CleanMe][/url]
[Photography, The least you should know][/url]
http://kodyhungenberg.500px.com[/url]

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 02, 2010, 23:40:58 PM »
I am simple just voicing my opinion.
That's exactly what I want.

there's a lot of people that won't create a single thing unless they're paid.
Like me?

Unfortunately (maybe) the tank game project, is already started. We'd be joining a developing group rather than starting something. I don't want to step on any toes and I don't want to demand things on something that's not mine. Also, Jay knows nothing about you guys except for Blueblaster.

I would really like to hear from Jonny before finalizing any one thing.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 03, 2010, 07:34:14 AM »
the worst thing that happend to 2.5 was assist going down, there was alot of people playng 2.5 when assis came down, let us just hope that bringing back assist will help us to get this version backl to life.

i am in for any project.
BlueBlaster: Dann called him a vertically-​challenged nigger.

Offline Alex

« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 03, 2010, 13:41:58 PM »
the worst thing that happend to 2.5 was assist going down, there was alot of people playng 2.5 when assis came down, let us just hope that bringing back assist will help us to get this version backl to life.

i am in for any project.

I don't want that. There is no reason we should stall the inevitable demise of 2.5. If people want to play AA, 2.8.5 is an obviously better version. Being a part of the 2.5 community, if you can call it that, I feel that it is time to let an outdated version of AA die.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 03, 2010, 14:16:36 PM »
Don't get me wrong killa, what i was trying to say is that 2.5 still does it for me, and for some others, 2.8.5 is cool, lots of maps and a bunch of people, but i feel 2.5 like home, i migth be nostalgic and all but is how i feel...

if you guys wanna develop for 2.8.5 is cool i got 2.8.5,2.5 and 3.0 installed on my pc so you guys take your pick, ill be happy playing with all of you all the fricking time

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 03, 2010, 14:28:15 PM »
I think at this point (though, depending on what Jonny says) I'd rather develop for 2.8 than 2.5. But I think I would rather work on that tank game than develop for 2.8.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 03, 2010, 17:10:09 PM »
I can undestand why u say that, after all u guys did to such an umthankfull comunity

VVaFF

« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 03, 2010, 18:13:32 PM »
Whats up guys-

Just dropping by incase any of you guys have any questions about what Spanky has said about my project.  I hope theres no neg views- I'm not trying to steal anyone away from your community- trust me I know all about the custom maps for AA failing-  I hate to think of all the time I spent on my maps- then they go no where-

But- I know that if I get a team together to create a game using the UE3- with all its possiblities- me and my team can make some money- make a name for selves- make a career out of it- and do it becasue we can and because we love doing it-

So if you want to know anything- ask me.

@Knight- if your interested- we need to have a clean slate as of now......lol

Jonnym

« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 03, 2010, 18:18:02 PM »
I thought i would bring 2.5Assist back just to kill some time when I'm bored at work, I'm only working on it maybe 1/2hour a day, But it will get there eventually, I had been dropping by on the forums occasionally and see so many posts from people who can't get the game working and it seemed a shame there is a tool out there that could help them.
I have little interest though on working on 2.8. The main attraction of this game is that i can play it on my Mac at home and on my Linux machine at work, I'm not a fan of windows and rarely use it... This means 2.5 is the latest version we can play and that is the magic of this version. If i was going to play a windows only game (like 2.8) i would play COD4 or Arma or something.
I don't think this will bring the version back to life, but if there are a couple of people on line at least i can play when I'm bored. One day when the armygame project is shutdown, and with the performance of AA3 this seems likely in future, i plan to completely take over the game with our own auth, honor and accounts etc, Like was discussed in the classic AA thread.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Friday, September 03, 2010, 19:33:08 PM »
I find this funny again. Yesterday Jay (VVaFF) PM'd me and I found out about Jonny's intentions within minutes of each other. Now, they both post here, again, within minutes of each other :P

Jonny, I said I'd do 2.8 over 2.5 mostly because of the integration that custom maps have. With Assist back, that levels the playing field (2.8 has more players but you can do more in 2.5).

Here's my thoughts:
2.5 - Complete freedom, established game and players. Little chance of profit & major success.
2.8 - Limited freedom, more players than 2.5. Little chance of profit. Minor success is possible.
Tank Game - Ton of work, no fully established team. Unique idea. Decent chance of profit. Success is unknown.

I know that Blueblaster is out, maybe sometime in the future he'll have the time to do something. Kody is eager and willing. Beta testers are plentiful. Dann will be good for ideas, I don't know what else. As for me, I definitely want to do SOMETHING. But if my abilities and time is wasted, I can go do other things to purely waste my time. I'm not looking for fame or to be rich, this isn't even my #1 passion, I just find it fun to make maps and see a few people enjoy them.

Where does this leave me? I don't know. On a related note, I've posted a message at maappack.com informing anyone that visits that the site will go down January 12th 2011. Crunk purchased the domain and since that project is and has been inactive, there's no real point in renewing it, unless it starts up again which... I guess I'll have to be quick to purchase the domain before someone else does. I've made complete backups of the site and all files related to mAAp Pack and I'll be sending DVD's to certain people.

Offline [Nifty]-mister

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday, September 03, 2010, 20:09:42 PM »
I thought i would bring 2.5Assist back just to kill some time when I'm bored at work, I'm only working on it maybe 1/2hour a day, But it will get there eventually, I had been dropping by on the forums occasionally and see so many posts from people who can't get the game working and it seemed a shame there is a tool out there that could help them.
I have little interest though on working on 2.8. The main attraction of this game is that i can play it on my Mac at home and on my Linux machine at work, I'm not a fan of windows and rarely use it... This means 2.5 is the latest version we can play and that is the magic of this version. If i was going to play a windows only game (like 2.8) i would play COD4 or Arma or something.
I don't think this will bring the version back to life, but if there are a couple of people on line at least i can play when I'm bored. One day when the armygame project is shutdown, and with the performance of AA3 this seems likely in future, i plan to completely take over the game with our own auth, honor and accounts etc, Like was discussed in the classic AA thread.

I is liking your idea.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager