Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Ubuntu 9.10 rapes Win XP  (Read 5161 times)

Jonnym

Ubuntu 9.10 rapes Win XP
« on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 05:11:55 AM »
Tests carried out on a 2Gb ram, 3.0GB Pentium 4.

Windows XP Boot time, 54 secs
Ubuntu 9.10 Boot time, 21 secs

Open Firefox on WinXP, 20 secs
Open Firefox on Ubuntu, 2 secs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also windows XP is noisy, The hard drive is always cruching away, Ubuntu does not do this.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu 9.10 rapes Win XP
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 13:39:10 PM »
Shut down time? Sorry I'm picky.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 14:51:34 PM »
Fanboy flag goes up on the word "rapes" :D Did you do this performance test yourself?

Couple of things:
Ubuntu 9.10 would be a recent release, XP is from 2003 if I remember right.
Were both updated with the latest patches?
Were both OS's allowed to sit for an half hour or hour or some amount of time? XP, if updated would index files by default. This may be the hard drive crunching and why things would take longer.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 14:58:11 PM »
Thats why I remove index functionality on mine. I never search for files as I think Im pretty organized.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 15:10:19 PM »
But then is that really fair to benchmarking? I don't think you can remove anything from either OS or it will be a strip-down war.

Offline Alex

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 15:16:40 PM »
20 seconds to open firefox on windows XP? bullshit.

My firefox open in 2 seconds on Vista, and XP is supposedly faster.

EDIT: just tested with an XP computer and it took 4 seconds to open and load the homepage for firefox.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 15:19:34 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 15:18:12 PM »
I see it as an alternative. I can find something that stock-wise is probably better than XP, then modify it to improve its performance. Kind of like race cars.

Plus no one goes anywhere if you can't modify the OS in someway. Then we would be on Macintosh and Windows 3.1 with improvements in hardware only. That would be ...... fucking stupid =D

But I guess for benchmarking, clean installs on the same hardware, with warm-up time is best way to go. We need controlled tests in order to improve our shit. Unfortunalty, everyone seems to be stupid and doesn't know what 'controlled experiment' means.

Jonnym

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 16:24:34 PM »
Yeah, if you got it to load in 4 secs on XP its probably the second time you opened it, So it already had it cached in memory. If it is the first time from boot up then you have one hell of a supercomputer and could only imagine how fast it could go if you were using linux.

Another anomaly I find with windows is that its fast when you do a fresh install but the longer you use it for the slower it gets, Like your windows could boot in 20 seconds when you first install it and then a year later its taking like 2 minutes, The does not happen on other operating systems, I reckon Microsoft deigned it this way you people go out and buy new computers.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 17:38:10 PM »
Another anomaly I find with windows is that its fast when you do a fresh install but the longer you use it for the slower it gets, Like your windows could boot in 20 seconds when you first install it and then a year later its taking like 2 minutes, The does not happen on other operating systems, I reckon Microsoft deigned it this way you people go out and buy new computers.

I find that statement to be true. :)

Offline Alex

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 18:14:39 PM »

I find that statement to be true. :)
That's because the more you use your computer the more files are stored. Every time you do something, like visit internet sites, windows puts the files in a temp folder. These files that are stored build up and slows the computer down. A simple program can clean those files out and have your computer running at high speed again.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 18:22:58 PM »

I disagree. If it was true, there would be evidence of it since XP has been out a while and there's people that like to decompile and whatnot. If you took 2 identical computers and installed XP on it at the same time, left 1 running for a year straight and used the other for the same time, you would find VAST differences. People customize. People install programs that autostart. A lot of programs automatically start when they really have no need to, OpenOffice comes to mind with their quick launch bs. Java checks for updates upon startup. 3rd party (Nvidia, Logitech, i.e. not Microsoft) drivers are larger and often come with programs that also autostart. Not to mention the user probably loads files such as music, movies, internet cache. You can't tell me that Ubuntu doesn't do this as well. It takes time to load programs on ANY OS.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 18:30:20 PM »
That's because the more you use your computer the more files are stored. Every time you do something, like visit internet sites, windows puts the files in a temp folder. These files that are stored build up and slows the computer down. A simple program can clean those files out and have your computer running at high speed again.

Eh, then again a lot of programs are non-standard and put things where they shouldn't go. No cleaning program is going to be able to find it then, sorry. Thats a downside of Windows, being anyone can develop for it and that it leads to crappy coding and slow downs.

However, ccleaner is the only program Ive seen thats really uptight about cleaning since its smart enough to go look through areas that certain programs use.

I disagree. If it was true, there would be evidence of it since XP has been out a while and there's people that like to decompile and whatnot. If you took 2 identical computers and installed XP on it at the same time, left 1 running for a year straight and used the other for the same time, you would find VAST differences. People customize. People install programs that autostart. A lot of programs automatically start when they really have no need to, OpenOffice comes to mind with their quick launch bs. Java checks for updates upon startup. 3rd party (Nvidia, Logitech, i.e. not Microsoft) drivers are larger and often come with programs that also autostart. Not to mention the user probably loads files such as music, movies, internet cache. You can't tell me that Ubuntu doesn't do this as well. It takes time to load programs on ANY OS.

Spanky is pretty much right about the autostart stuff. A lot of programs are picky and install services and other garbage that starts up with the computer. Believe me a lot of users don't know anything beyond the Startup folder in the start menu. Theres TONS more than just that stuff that's starting. When you start customizing Windows, you find out all this stuff.

O btw, heres something fun to do. Change the default documents & settings folder to something else. Then look at how much garbage has accumulated in the documents & settings folder that originally didn't exsist from shitty coded programs.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, December 05, 2009, 18:48:47 PM »
I love empty folders with log files from uninstalled programs. I've always said: Windows doesn't have any problems, it's 3rd party that messes it up whether it's the user, program coder or whatever.

CCleaner is great and also can check startup directories to disable/delete programs that run without you knowing.

Jonnym

« Reply #13 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 03:46:03 AM »
You can't tell me that Ubuntu doesn't do this as well.

Yes I can, Try for yourself if you don't believe. The architecture is very different, I know I've coded software for it, You cannot put files in system folders, or alter system settings, When you write software for it you are isolated to your softwares home folder unless you get super user rights from the user.
It is a far Superior system, However it is dam near useless as you can't get any software or games for it  :'(

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, December 06, 2009, 13:55:22 PM »
Yes I can, Try for yourself if you don't believe.

I was mostly talking about programs that autostart, saving cache and log files that take up unnecessary hard drive space and thus making the OS slower, just like XP.

The fact is, all OS's can fail at the hands of the user. You have to know what you're doing in order to have a decent computing experience.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager