Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Ode to JonnyM  (Read 7177 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Ode to JonnyM
« on: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 01:43:52 AM »
Probably not the right expression but I felt like saying that. Anywho, this is pretty much a public PM. The messaging system sucks on this and the notifications are definitely lacking as I'm sure you've experienced as well. Also, I wouldn't mind pooling a couple of ideas. Dann and something Blue said kinda got me thinking and I wouldn't exactly hate or be against blowing the dust off of a couple specific programs.

So, where do you stand on mAAp/AA Classic (or whatever it might be called)?

I know you said it's a possibility of a year or two or more out, however I was kinda surprised of your eagerness to get on 2.3. I would like to be a part of whatever you do but personally, the only way I would work on a AA project is if, foremost, you were a part of it. There's no denying you were mAAp's only true chance of success. Second, only if it was on 2.5/2.6. It's the updated engine, we've got the editor and it just has so much going for it. I guess those are my only personal requirements and with those said, I wouldn't do any bit of work before you did.

I guess I'm just curious as to what's in your head. Anyone is totally welcome to jump in.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Ode to JonnyM
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 01:47:24 AM »
You all know my answer. I wanna go to DirectX9 to add pixel shader support and add a different physics engine.

Anyone else?

Offline Dialects

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 01:54:34 AM »
I am the prick of the group. You can't go far without me. Count me in.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

-Delta-

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 12:49:52 PM »
You all know my answer. I wanna go to DirectX9 to add pixel shader support and add a different physics engine.

Anyone else?

That is so one-sided, what about Linux and Mac users? OpenGL 2.0 or OpenGL 3.0 would be just as good.  :-\

I know Unreal is a good game engine, but without the source code, I just don't see how updating anything would be possible. Let alone building binaries.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 12:55:19 PM by -Delta- »

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 03:25:35 AM »
I dont know how to update OpenGL for the engine lol.

Jonnym

« Reply #5 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 04:07:21 AM »
I had really forgotten all about this project.. But the idea was not to recompile the binaries or change the openGL engine. I was just going to take 2.5, Strip out the user interface and replace it, Remove punkbuster and replace it with another hackhunter like U-script. Disable auth and replace it with a U-script using our own auth system and then upgrading all the maps, like was done with mAAp pipeline. U-scipt mods would also be made to remove/disable all the expolits and hacks. We would need crusade on board for this. Don't know if it will ever happen though.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 04:21:49 AM »
We would need crusade on board for this. Don't know if it will ever happen though.
For sure but I think he quit AA3 which could be good or bad. I haven't talked to him in probably months, I don't have the slightest idea as to what he's up to.

Jonny, you forgot about it but does that mean your passion/drive to do it is gone?

Jonnym

« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 04:27:47 AM »
I'm still in the process of rebuilding my house, Messing around with computer games is a low priority now. Maybe in a year or 2.

-Delta-

« Reply #8 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 13:02:41 PM »

Right, but the same goes for DirectX. How do you intend on updating the DirectX code in the engine without the source code? Unless it's all there, and was just disabled for some reason?

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #9 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 18:17:12 PM »
Alright Jonny. If/when ever you might want to... hit me up, chances are I'll still be easily found.

Delta, I personally have a couple of Unreal/America's Army sources. Not to mention the editor allows you to modify and recompile code :)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 21:22:42 PM »

Right, but the same goes for DirectX. How do you intend on updating the DirectX code in the engine without the source code? Unless it's all there, and was just disabled for some reason?
The hacker community does a good job of getting source codes. Also the newest version of AA runs on DX9, so it really is a copy/paste job with some source modifying. That doesn't mean itll work for sure though =p

I'd still like to integrate a new physics engine, add reflective/refractive surfaces, and change some things around.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 22:19:03 PM »
I'd still like to integrate a new physics engine
Once you do, the first thing I'm going to learn how to make is nurses with bouncing tits.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 01:31:33 AM »
This sounds good, time-wise.

In a 2-years-time I should be very proficient in 3D and Game Engines (overall!).

(I'm under the assumption my application will go through and accepted!)

I'm taking a Media Illustration & 3D/Game Making course.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 01:38:29 AM »
I like how Dann assumes he would be a part of it :D

Offline Dialects

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 01:47:05 AM »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager