Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Nvidia Graphics and Windows Vista/7  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Nvidia Graphics and Windows Vista/7
« on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 18:17:06 PM »
I just thought I would share something I've known for a bit. The other day I was trying to get a game to run properly (Mirrors Edge in triple-wide) and it seemed like no matter what I did, it ran fine but with shitty FPS. I knew I had run it fine prior but some configs got messed up so I just kinda gave up. Since I wanted to play Mirrors Edge and got nothing but problems, I gave up and settled for a different game: Splinter Cell Conviction. Except, when I loaded the game, the FPS was also terrible. This is an instant clue for me since I've been there and done that; my graphics card crashed. One of the cool things in Vista & 7 is that instead of tossing you a BSOD, Windows can attempt to recover a crashed driver. I don't know why specifically but whenever that happens with an nVidia card and newer drivers, the clocks on the card revert to a safe value (maybe for overclocking crashing?) which is something like 300mhz or 200mhz for the core. A simple restart puts your clocks back to normal but I thought I would share this in case anyone had weird issues ever.

*EDIT*
Depending on what you're doing, you may see an error like this:

Although something was freaking out (probably cuz of the beta driver) and mine kept crashing every 5-15 seconds or so just now and it didn't revert the clocks to the 2D settings. If you ever come across this, check GPU-Z in the Sensors tab and see what your clocks are.
« Last Edit: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 19:41:07 PM by Spanky »
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
Re: Nvidia Graphics and Windows Vista/7
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 19:42:20 PM »
Added an image that may or may not be helpful.

Offline Alex

« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 19:52:27 PM »
my display drivers did that a lot with my 8800GTS 512. It would crash the game I was playing. I wasn't getting lower than usual FPS though.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 20:07:07 PM »
In my experiences, it never crashed the game, it would just stall out for a few seconds while the OS recovered the driver then FPS would take a dive.

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 20:50:38 PM »
In my experiences, it never crashed the game, it would just stall out for a few seconds while the OS recovered the driver then FPS would take a dive.
My game would crash and then I would get that message when I was back at the desktop. It only happened when I played taxing games like Crysis though.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 20:53:16 PM »
Yea, I guess it could depend on the game and how it handles a graphics stall like that while the driver is recovered. I don't think I've ever had it happen on Crysis.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager