Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Strategy for gaining new (and old) players  (Read 3776 times)

Offline BS-Ding

Strategy for gaining new (and old) players
« on: Sunday, March 08, 2015, 20:06:19 PM »
Hi there,

I moved from Europe to North America last year and found that there are way more European servers than American (don't get me wrong, we have some great ones over here too, like the guys from IronLungs - cheers!).

Considering that this game was so popular in the US I find the lack of players and servers from N. America a little bit odd.

Another thing is that I basically found out about AA 2.5 by accident (I was googling screenshots of America's Army, a game that I spent hundreds of hours in).

So I wonder if a lot of people just don't realize that AA 2.5 is out there.

I hope I am not too naive here but wouldn't it be possible to get the AAO Tracker admin to send an email to every registerd account informing them about AA 2.5? I am sure you'll get a lot of "dead end accounts" there but you'd also reach a couple of thousand and might increase player base!

Cheers.

EDIT: I can't see why people don't want to play AA 2.x anymore - I mean this game has a timeless quality.
« Last Edit: Sunday, March 08, 2015, 20:09:00 PM by BS-Ding »

Offline Possessed

• bWpnRecoil == False;
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • You suffer, but why?!
    • View Profile
  • AA: Possessed
Re: Strategy for gaining new (and old) players
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, March 08, 2015, 20:20:44 PM »
Most "dead" games are played by Euros :D.
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
John 16:33

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, March 08, 2015, 20:31:47 PM »
The only battletracker admin is Homey, but he's mostly MIA last couple of years.

And batteltracker has over 800 000 acounts so if we could have them all emailed about AA it would be great. All accounts on BT have to have different email addresses so it would be awesome.
However, I do believe it's not going to happen unfortunately. People don't generally want to give out personal information (such as emails) to a third part and I don't see Homey himself writing an email to everyone about AA at this point.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline BS-Ding

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, March 08, 2015, 21:08:36 PM »
That actually sparks another important question: What would happen if the Tracker suddenly shuts down completely? Would you be able to implement a "tracking" system on this website? I just have little knowledge in web development, so I don't even know how the tracker works in the first place... :)

I am trying my best to get the word out... I even sent physical letters to some friends I had in the US two weeks ago (their email accounts didn't work anymore but I still had their address), informing them about AA 2.5. The response has been good!

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #4 on: Monday, March 09, 2015, 02:10:22 AM »
That actually sparks another important question: What would happen if the Tracker suddenly shuts down completely? Would you be able to implement a "tracking" system on this website? I just have little knowledge in web development, so I don't even know how the tracker works in the first place... :)

I am trying my best to get the word out... I even sent physical letters to some friends I had in the US two weeks ago (their email accounts didn't work anymore but I still had their address), informing them about AA 2.5. The response has been good!
ELiZ has worked hard to ensure that if battletracker were to shut down today we would be ready (or almost ready) to take over everything.
In fact, his tracker is tracking things side by side with battletracker for about a year now. It's mechanics have a few differences compared to battletracker (it's more accurate for example) so it is sometimes used for various things already.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline BS-Ding

« Reply #5 on: Monday, March 09, 2015, 19:42:39 PM »
That's so cool, you guys do a really good job! Please never think that you have to change the game too much, it really is great like you have it now with all the minor tweaks. I think most people enjoy it because it's old school and different! :)

Offline august

• Respected Members
    • View Profile
  • AA: Avguste
« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 09, 2015, 19:49:38 PM »
The only way to actually contact battletracker users without Homey being involved is logging into battletracker and sending individual emails/private messages to all players that used to play AA

Offline BS-Ding

« Reply #7 on: Monday, March 09, 2015, 20:32:44 PM »
The only way to actually contact battletracker users without Homey being involved is logging into battletracker and sending individual emails/private messages to all players that used to play AA

I have nothing planned on the weekend so...

Offline Ganja

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 06:38:24 AM »

How can you find "all players who played AA" :D You'll need more than a weekend to send like 800k emails lol

Offline BS-Ding

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 20:40:55 PM »
Hehe yeah I was being sarcastic :)

I think you could narrow it down to like everyone above Honor 40-50... I mean it's unlikely that someone will pick up the game again after spending only like 2-3 weeks with it back in 2003...

Would still be a huge task, maybe you could automate it but I believe that's called a spam bot lol :) FOR A GOOD CAUSE!

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager