Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Improve less played maps.  (Read 6809 times)

Offline ELiZ

Improve less played maps.
« on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 08:42:03 AM »
What maps do you think can be improved?
This topic is about the less played maps, so no suggestions for Hospital, Bridge, or Pipeline(Both official versions).

Offline Ganja

Re: Improve less played maps.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 09:11:31 AM »
People are still not going to play them though. Is it really worth the effort?

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 09:20:01 AM »
People are still not going to play them though. Is it really worth the effort?
Without improvement, there is even smaller chance that it will be played.
Combining improvements with other incentives might do the trick.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 09:38:39 AM »
Do we have an idea of what we want to change? All maps or just mAAp/AA3 maps?

For example, in my opinion, even though a lot of the original maps are not really played, they're pretty well balanced if people know the maps (e.g Weapons Cache, Insurgunt Camp).

AA3 maps are "official" as well (even though they're from AA3), however I would say we'd be able to change them if we wished.

I do think small changes are always pretty favorable. I don't remember next to anyone complaining about the Christmas maps that was done last year. A good idea IMHO would be to repeat something like that. Even if it's exactly the same, most people won't remember it lol.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 09:39:54 AM »
Improving maps won't help. Improving popular maps will give you a positive result. Once you done that, you can do improvements on other maps. Eliz you are willing to make improvements, but all your effort will go downhill once improved maps are played couple times. Players won't play other maps than popular ones. Since people play for frag and points/honour etc, then add more points on other maps you receive, since hospital is the only map to give you loads of points if you are in successful team and of course, you get double points as VIP.

I have no plan into looking at other maps, whats needs to be done because no one will pay it, lets take example (by counting how many maps this game got). Do people play maaps or AA3 maps? No. Look how much effort you done in fixing bugs, glitches there but people played couple times. Give them SF maybe on other maps, they want gun with scope as example on pipe sf :)

Offline Ganja

« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 09:52:40 AM »
Improving maps won't help. Improving popular maps will give you a positive result. Once you done that, you can do improvements on other maps. Eliz you are willing to make improvements, but all your effort will go downhill once improved maps are played couple times. Players won't play other maps than popular ones. Since people play for frag and points/honour etc, then add more points on other maps you receive, since hospital is the only map to give you loads of points if you are in successful team and of course, you get double points as VIP.

I have no plan into looking at other maps, whats needs to be done because no one will pay it, lets take example (by counting how many maps this game got). Do people play maaps or AA3 maps? No. Look how much effort you done in fixing bugs, glitches there but people played couple times. Give them SF maybe on other maps, they want gun with scope as example on pipe sf :)

What would be the benefits of improving popular maps? We want the players to get out of the comfort zone and make them discover new maps, not make them whore the same map over and over again.

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 09:57:18 AM »
What would be the benefits of improving popular maps? We want the players to get out of the comfort zone and make them discover new maps, not make them whore the same map over and over again.

The problem is that they won't play it, it's simple, it needs something dramatic to change. What I mean is start changing hospital itself, disabling 203 some people said they won't play it any more that map and will be looking for new maps to play. I don't see the way out than force players play other maps, but that's against the game itself.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 10:01:27 AM »
The problem is that they won't play it, it's simple, it needs something dramatic to change. What I mean is start changing hospital itself, disabling 203 some people said they won't play it any more that map and will be looking for new maps to play. I don't see the way out than force players play other maps, but that's against the game itself.

So you're suggesting making 'bad' improvements in order to make people stop playing the map

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 10:03:09 AM »
People threatened to quit the game rather than the map if 203s were disabled from what I gathered.

And I do think changing maps will make people play them more. The change has to be a good one, though. However, making a very good change is extremely difficuly seeing as we don't really have a active beta database that could help see if the changes still leave the game balanced. Therefore, pretty much the only changes we make should have trial periods.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline ArmyAntiCheat

« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 13:12:11 PM »
So you're suggesting making 'bad' improvements in order to make people stop playing the map

Yeh Ganja, thats what I meant, but thats my daydreaming :)
People threatened to quit the game rather than the map if 203s were disabled from what I gathered.

And I do think changing maps will make people play them more. The change has to be a good one, though. However, making a very good change is extremely difficuly seeing as we don't really have a active beta database that could help see if the changes still leave the game balanced. Therefore, pretty much the only changes we make should have trial periods.

Agreed. The question is what can be done on other maps to make other players join new maps and leave their popular maps that they usually play. I know that Eliz just asked this in the main post :P Which maps, what to do, I still don't know. Too much work, it would be disappointing if it was a failed goal for admins and whoever helped them along.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 14:46:21 PM »
Dusk, Courtyard and Blizzard are really interesting maps that get played only a little i believe. Courtyard is interesting for the overall amount of paths, and it's clever as it is, while i think it would be fun to play a lower level of Dusk (maybe sewers?) and a different path on Blizzard to be able to reach the main building.

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 14:55:14 PM »
1 - Monkey Island>>    random spawn   from 2 sites  North West South East  like range and some obsticles ( Buildings / Water pool rocks it that nice grass/   in the middle whit OBJ .
2 - Courtyard  >>     The colors may be more intense,  and meaby some adder maps to!! 
« Last Edit: Monday, October 13, 2014, 15:19:42 PM by Vanoke »

Offline Ganja

« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 15:14:36 PM »
Dusk, Courtyard and Blizzard are really interesting maps that get played only a little i believe. Courtyard is interesting for the overall amount of paths, and it's clever as it is, while i think it would be fun to play a lower level of Dusk (maybe sewers?) and a different path on Blizzard to be able to reach the main building.

I agree with these modifications, could be fun indeed. I was thinking maybe we could add some objective positions for B on Courtyard, outside tunnels, because fragwhores can easily camp on defence on this map.

Offline Yahoo

• Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 16:08:58 PM »
There is only one way to implement that which is to limit the number of servers. It's rush hour in Europe there are 81 players online and 100 servers available...

Offline BaXuZ

« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 13, 2014, 16:50:02 PM »
I see my fav map is mentioned, Blizzard. It is actually a very balanced map and it doesn't have any real bugs, but you really need to spend hundreds of hours on it to really know what is going on there. So I think the problem with less played maps is people just lost interest after getting pwnd so many times there.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager