Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Brightness & Gamma  (Read 14039 times)

Offline BiG_SerGiO

• Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • "I got soul but i'm not a soldier..."
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese Warriors
  • AA: [PTwars]b!6
Re: Brightness & Gamma
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 06:21:53 AM »
I have win8 and it's working great. Could be other issue...
"Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth"?
Hmm?

https://vortexservers.com/clients/aff.php?aff=406

JonnyM

« Reply #16 on: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 06:45:48 AM »
i have fixed what i THINK is causing the closed slot issue, Download again please from http://sourceforge.net/projects/aa25assist/files/Binaries/25Assist.zip/download

Offline IGC Wolf^

• Banned
    • View Profile
  • AA: Banned
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 06:49:13 AM »
thanks i check it

EDIT: works when i tried with admin privileges
« Last Edit: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 07:21:20 AM by IGC Wolf^ »

JonnyM

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 07:14:47 AM »
Go into the army ops folder and delete armyops.log and armyops.25a

Offline no.0b

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 09:06:11 AM »
The Authorization Slot Closed problem is solved, but not the brightness and gamma issue. I have to change my Gamma and brightness on my monitor to play, which means ill have to constantly be switching it back and forth because AA is not the only game or thing I do. In fact, im a Web Designer and this is very frustrating to deal with since I need to have brightness & gamma based off the application instead of using my monitors base settings.

Is there any ETA on when this will be worked on or if it will be worked on at all? I'm confused as to why it was working before and now it doesnt work at all.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »
The Authorization Slot Closed problem is solved, but not the brightness and gamma issue. I have to change my Gamma and brightness on my monitor to play, which means ill have to constantly be switching it back and forth because AA is not the only game or thing I do. In fact, im a Web Designer and this is very frustrating to deal with since I need to have brightness & gamma based off the application instead of using my monitors base settings.

Is there any ETA on when this will be worked on or if it will be worked on at all? I'm confused as to why it was working before and now it doesnt work at all.

Since you're a designer, you'll actually want to calibrate your monitor and then leave everything else at default, that way you're seeing (and editing) exactly what's intended.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Ganja

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 14:11:15 PM »
max = 1.500000 if you put a 1 or w/e instead of the zeros, you get kicked :D

But why do they propose it then?

JonnyM

« Reply #22 on: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 14:44:16 PM »
Try playing insurgent camp with default gamma settings, you have to use nightvision because you can't see anything and with it being a night map, that how it should be.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 14:47:17 PM »
Try playing insurgent camp with default gamma settings, you have to use nightvision because you can't see anything and with it being a night map, that how it should be.

Exactly. It's how the devs designed it. The only reason to mess with brightness/contrast/gamma is if you can't get your monitor calibrated. Nobody should be messing with the in-game controls.

Grab this:
http://www.calibrize.com
Calibrate. Play.

JonnyM

« Reply #24 on: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 15:00:55 PM »
All that stuff's built into Mac osx.

Offline no.0b

« Reply #25 on: Monday, July 15, 2013, 02:54:10 AM »
Since you're a designer, you'll actually want to calibrate your monitor and then leave everything else at default, that way you're seeing (and editing) exactly what's intended.

You're exactly right, and AA's defaulted Brightness and Gamma are absolutely horrid, I have to play EVERY map with night vision goggles and sometimes its STILL too dark.

Not to sound like I'm being rude, but really what you guys are saying just sounds like an excuse. Giving people the ability to be flexible with their applications is all about satisfying customers and/or consumers. There is nothing wrong with allowing people to change their Gamma and Brightness in game. If I can do it on my monitor why not instead use the in game method? The difference is that it makes things 10 times easier to use the in game method. I have no idea why you guys seem so opposed to changing it back to what it was.

I think what you guys are doing is great. I'm not trying to tell you how to run things or what not, but to me this is a very frustrating and game breaking "bug" that wasnt completely necessary to fix.

Also, It doesnt make any sense to me that other people are allowed to change their brightness & Gamma through AA or the Assist Settings panel. You really think anyone who's not on windows 8 is gonna try and preserve the natural look that the original Game devs tried to relay to their players? No, Let's face it some maps are ridiculously too dark. Another valid point to bring up is this: Why even put the ability to change your brightness and Gamma in Americas Army if the devs thought that everything was supposed to be perfect? Sure there's night vision goggles but lets be real here. The purpose of the Brightness and Gamma is to help remove the need to change your monitors settings because the game is too dark in certain areas. I think the original Devs knew this and this is something that you should understand as well.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 15, 2013, 03:07:12 AM by no.0b »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #26 on: Monday, July 15, 2013, 03:13:09 AM »
I have no control of the things done in Assist, I'm simply commenting on the aspect. Just because I have admin here doesn't mean I do anything for the project/game :) With that said, I do play around with maps and it rubs me the wrong way when some pro gamer comes along and starts messing with settings to make things look/sound how he thinks they should be, not the way you worked hard to intend them to be.

I would bet money that the AA devs didn't say "oh just edit your brighness" when people complained that a map was too bright/dark in beta testing. They fixed the map. They made everything usable and playable. Everything is intended. That little dark corner that you can't see very well, it's meant to be there. If your monitor (this also applies to audio) is calibrated properly then you're seeing exactly what they intended.

I recommend calibrating because it sets proper color & brightness up across the board. If your monitor is displaying colors properly then EVERYTHING you use is shown as intended by it's creator. If you tweak the settings in AA then websites and other games are going to be different. Designers that get paid for a living will use equipment that is more accurate they also have a skillset that tells them what things should be like. Combine those two things together and there's no reason for an inexperienced end user to say "nahhh it's too dark, i'm raising my brightness".

Play the game as it's intended, both audio and video. Unfortunately, that'll never happen and that's why I'm actually pleased that brightness and gamma are somehow broken.

Offline no.0b

« Reply #27 on: Monday, July 15, 2013, 03:26:29 AM »
I'm not a pro gamer... what are you talking about? lol

Also, if im running into walls because its too dark, do you think they intended that? Don't think so. I'm not trying to change the settings to have an edge over someone, I have a legitimate complaint/request that should be looked into. I understand having dark corners and dark spots in the game, I have that when I change my brightness and gamma, however I believe they never intended it to be as bad as it is on my screen. Spanky, im not sure if you think im just trying to pull legs here, I find it quite unfair though that people can still change their settings because they are running win 7 or lower. Removing the ability to change your brightness and Gamma inside the game, is not addressing any problem. It's only making it inconvenient for those who run windows 8.

here is a screen shot of a dark area. I am in spawn at breakout, really cant even see my gun, just the red dot.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7qnzb4tivz8cwq/aaomg.png

Changing the ability to change Gamma and Brightness in a game thats been around for 10 years and for the most part has always had this option, is like cutting my legs off and telling me to enjoy life the way it was intended.

Also, Spanky... Game Design and Web Design are two different things. If something looked dark on a site, I'd be like well that was terribly done and try and adjust to fix it if it was important enough to do so. I'd imagine the same reaction would take place on AA. If the lighting is just too dark then you adjust to fix it. Is it possible that when the AA devs realized that some of the maps they made may have been too dark they implemented a feature to adjust the brightness & gamma? How do we know this is what they intended? obviously if they needed a way to adjust the brightness and Gamma in game there must of been a reason.

Do you really think that every monitor would be the same? Even if you calibrate the colors to a perfect T. Every monitor's quality will be different. I'm positive the Devs realized this and it just looked too dark on some monitors.

And.. should you really need night vision on every map? No. SF Pipeline is a prime example of when nightvision should be in use. Night time maps are indeed a map you'd need nightvison on even if you adjusted your Gamma & Brightness. You should not need nightvision on ALL maps.
« Last Edit: Monday, July 15, 2013, 04:07:05 AM by no.0b »

Offline Ganja

« Reply #28 on: Monday, July 15, 2013, 04:14:59 AM »
I can see your gun quiet well actually :)

Offline IGC Wolf^

• Banned
    • View Profile
  • AA: Banned
« Reply #29 on: Monday, July 15, 2013, 04:25:04 AM »
Same to me i run windows 8 and gamma/brightness is fucked, i can't play without not turning night visions like mostly anywhere i go...

I agree, why windows 7 users can and we can't? what was the punishment for win8 users? if u did for win8 then why not to do for everyone. I don't see how this makes fair game for us...
AA devs would not do that to the people and make one windows platform like that, they all would be the same. Now i can't play, i need to buy glasses even tho they won't help because i need night visions turned on which fucks my vision too. What about maps that don't have night vision? I'm totally screwed there like hospital in the darker places i can't see sometimes the enemy and i get shot...

Please discuss this matter, it looks like you punished only win8, then if you want this way why not do to everyone else?
Screenshot makes that look brighter because i came to that situation too... Its like you all laughing at one platform here...
« Last Edit: Monday, July 15, 2013, 04:34:33 AM by IGC Wolf^ »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager