Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: can not connect to auth.aa25.org - auth down  (Read 5931 times)

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

can not connect to auth.aa25.org - auth down
« on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 07:57:01 AM »
hi there

could please someone of the admins look at the auth server. i guess there is a problem.
not possible to connect to auth.aa25.org to see server list.

and with the messages at shoutbox i guess playing aa2 is not possible at the moment.

thanks

Offline Lord-of-War

• Loyal Member
  • La vida no vale nada
    • View Profile
  • AA: Lord-of-War
Re: can not connect to auth.aa25.org - auth down
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 12:17:35 PM »
what am I gonna do tonight  :??
Damned have to think of something else for a change I guess.
A feedback would be nice.Hoping it will still work later today.
This "Authorisation down problem" happens a lot lately.

Cheers
Lord-of-War  :style:

"the world is basically a forced labor camp from which the workers - all innocents - are led forth by lottery, a few each day, to be executed," Cormac McCarthy

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 12:29:02 PM »
we do play aa4 - proving ground I guess.

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 13:08:31 PM »
I wish I could help... I saw this hours ago, but unfortunately I can't do anything about it.

It's kind of a shame how dependant of one person we are really.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Lord-of-War

• Loyal Member
  • La vida no vale nada
    • View Profile
  • AA: Lord-of-War
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 13:17:00 PM »
So what if he goes on holiday and this happens ? Then we are pretty much fucked  :D

Lord-of-War  :style:
"the world is basically a forced labor camp from which the workers - all innocents - are led forth by lottery, a few each day, to be executed," Cormac McCarthy

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 13:51:26 PM »
Who did take the power off!!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 14:49:40 PM by Vanoke »

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 13:52:23 PM »
shit happend, but would be good to fix this situation later when he is back, right?
teddy, do you know where this auth server is running. on Nicks end?

and as i did say often: we should have a automatic backup system, which does work.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 13:54:28 PM by [SWISS]Merlin »

Offline Nick

• Administrator
  • Loyal Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 15:55:52 PM »
shit happend, but would be good to fix this situation later when he is back, right?
teddy, do you know where this auth server is running. on Nicks end?

and as i did say often: we should have a automatic backup system, which does work.

Not on my end Merlin sadly, have recommend a few times to have a secondary system in place however it was made apparent to me that there is a lot of little dependencies installed etc that would make having a backup solution always up to date and ready to roll into production in case the primary auth goes offline difficult.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 16:55:17 PM by Nick »

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 16:40:57 PM »
thanks Nick for the information. I would like to have that backup system. because in the last 4 weeks it happened a lot with that not available.

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 17:26:38 PM »
AND IT DID NOT WORK TO JOIN WITH THE BT ACCOUNT

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 17:33:04 PM »
ELiZ is the only one that can fix the issue (sometimes it's not even up to him but the hoster). Complaining about it won't do anything, nor does asking for a backup system that would be complex and a royal pain to setup, if even possible. It's a free game being kept alive on life support by a couple of people, it's not life & death, just be patient and wait.

I don't know if anyone else remembers but when Jonny took the game down, we were scrambling to get it set back up with backups of the auth server. It wasn't until Jonny came back a few days later to help ELiZ get it setup on a new host and then even a few days after that that everything was working ok. There's custom commandline Linux stuff and things cobbled together to make it work. While ELiZ has worked to make it more reliable, I'd bet that it's still not as near good as it could be, especially if written in a modern and lean language. The problem is, we simply don't have the knowledge and people to undertake a rewrite. It's hard to find reliable, knowledgeable and trustworthy people that will work for free.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 17:44:02 PM »
AND IT DID NOT WORK TO JOIN WITH THE BT ACCOUNT

That method was only meant for when BT is down.
And I've actually fixed that a few weeks back, so even when BT is down, you still login with the same account name from this point forward.

As Spanky mentioned adding a backup server for the auth server would require too much work.

However, what I will do is this:
I'll try to add a link to join a server from the login screen when auth is down.

I'll also try to add this for servers:
When the auth has been down for X minutes, it will start the server in "Free Play - unauthorized" mode.
It will go back to Authorized mode when auth has been up for the same X minutes.

Offline Vanoke

• Epic Poster
  • Real war is to a GAME!!
    • View Profile
  • AA: =PUF=Vanoke
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 17:57:35 PM »
ELiZ is the only one that can fix the issue (sometimes it's not even up to him but the hoster). Complaining about it won't do anything, nor does asking for a backup system that would be complex and a royal pain to setup, if even possible. It's a free game being kept alive on life support by a couple of people, it's not life & death, just be patient and wait.

I don't know if anyone else remembers but when Jonny took the game down, we were scrambling to get it set back up with backups of the auth server. It wasn't until Jonny came back a few days later to help ELiZ get it setup on a new host and then even a few days after that that everything was working ok. There's custom commandline Linux stuff and things cobbled together to make it work. While ELiZ has worked to make it more reliable, I'd bet that it's still not as near good as it could be, especially if written in a modern and lean language. The problem is, we simply don't have the knowledge and people to undertake a rewrite. It's hard to find reliable, knowledgeable and trustworthy people that will work for free.

I all those years ther are sum idears that need specialization and game knowledge. 
Idears that kan bring this game to a higher level. (like my little hope about the coops)
And you guys must have to a list for a good developer to get him ore them ore one real business game maker intressted !!
Have you thought about to write letters to  game makers, if they can help in certain problems.
If you can make them intrest to make this game better , the basis is good new idears and inputh is needed to
make wishes come trow!!

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 18:42:20 PM »
thanks Spanky, ELiZ.
I do understand. it was just a pain in the ass to wait 14 hours until we could go back to play the game again :)
maybe you can put that knowledge to start the auth system to other admins ?
so no more need for ELiZ to cut his free time for starting up the system when goes down again - and it will go down again for sure.
thanks.

Offline ELiZ

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 20, 2015, 21:35:21 PM »
maybe you can put that knowledge to start the auth system to other admins ?

The information has been there for other admins as well for a good while.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager