Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: javascript  (Read 1333 times)

Jared

javascript
« on: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 19:37:07 PM »
Would anyone one/one's want to develop a javascript app just for fun and learning it better. Maybe using/learning a few new libraries too?

thoughts  :o?

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: javascript
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 20:25:22 PM »
Nobody has given an answer so Ill start.

No. Haven't had consistent time for anything recently so I can't add more work when I don't have time for it. Ask Kody, he's been wanting to learn.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 20:31:54 PM »
I was going to reply but didn't think I had much to say. I haven't worked on PostQuote in over a month and a half. I do have a list of things to do and have though of a few features to implement lately so I might start up again. I've been more involved with work outside & my motorcycle than stuff on the computer. That will change now that winter is coming. It's the natrual cycle of my habits, I never did like to work on mAAp during the summer.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Jared

« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 12:59:51 PM »
 :-[

Jared

« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 16:09:16 PM »
what about if we did a open source version of postquote and turned it into a javascript app, if nate would let us, and would be whiling to do it.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 17:20:09 PM »
what about if we did a open source version of postquote and turned it into a javascript app, if nate would let us, and would be whiling to do it.

What would the purpose be?

Jared

« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 17:28:18 PM »
just for fun and to learn

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #7 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 19:00:03 PM »
I guess I still don't understand the concept of an "app". On Chrome, they're just bookmarks. On ChromeOS, they're just bookmarks. Did Google screw up the concept of them or is that all they are? How would it be different/better than the PHP/HTML site I have now?

Jared

« Reply #8 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 19:05:28 PM »
have you used the new pandora or twitter, those are javascript applications.

Basically we would turn postquote into a 1 page site that has all of the functionality of way it is now, but again its your project so if you don't want to thats totally cool, i just thought it would be easier to build/remake something that all of the data was there.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #9 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 20:34:44 PM »
Oh, I see what you mean. I'm all for using cool features for PostQuote but they have to be practical. Aside from minor bandwidth and loading times of 1-page Javascript website, it doesn't seem worth the time it would take to learn and re-code things. I don't think anyone else would be interested in really getting involved with PostQuote but I could be wrong.

Honestly, the problem I have with other people working intimately with PostQuote and it happened with you Jared is that I'm picky. I know how my code works, exactly. I know how to fix things or adjust things. It's nothing wrong with you or your abilities, when you coded that theme and did a lot of back end stuff, I had no clue how it worked and I hate to keep pestering you when I want something minor changed you know? I certainly still use a lot of your code and design, I just had to learn how it worked. I don't mind others including yourself working on PostQuote, I just need to know how your code works, otherwise it's pretty useless to me since the site evolves so fast with user input and the features I add.

Jared

« Reply #10 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 21:07:34 PM »
yeah man i totally get what your sayin, and i respect that, its your project.

I didn't really want to develop it for postquote, i just wanted to use the setup and develop javascript application. I didn't want it to overwrite your project i wanted this to be for the community members to learn more and me as well each and of its own could download and edit code read through and up make changes etc ask question.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 21:47:25 PM »
So it would be a separate website that uses PostQuote's database and info? More or less a program that reads the information from the site? I could be down for that. Maybe something small that would be optimized for phones or tablets? Something that's extremely minimal and easy to use?

Jared

« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 30, 2011, 23:57:44 PM »
yeah thats all i just wanted to use i guess the structure of post quote because it would work for building an application, the idea and foundation is already there all we would have to do is learn/teach and develop the code.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 01, 2011, 02:01:50 AM »
I guess if the layout/UI had a specific purpose which was different than the existing layout, like either a minimal or quick view kinda thing, I would be ok with a side project spawning off. I've got the room to host it for sure.

Jared

« Reply #14 on: Saturday, October 01, 2011, 10:26:51 AM »
okay, if not i can host the project i have plenty of space

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager