Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Spanky & Delta: Evolution  (Read 7212 times)

-Delta-

Re: Spanky & Delta: Evolution
« Reply #30 on: Monday, April 12, 2010, 21:55:40 PM »
I know what evolution is. I stated the definition before I started talking about it. And you say that these changes are out of our control. What has control then? Is it an external force? Evolution is the process of gradual change. Meaning somehow we come up with things we need and some how we find the information of how to form it. DNA is what holds the key information in forming must things. How can a creature write new code for itself? I keep asking how something knows it needs to change, but I guess that's the wrong question. Instead I'll ask, how does it know how to change? Like I said, what defines a wing? This need to change, it has to come from something, whether it's a subconscious need to change or some external force. The fact still remains, you can't add something to yourself or your species over countless generation without a clear understanding of what you're actually adding.

I don't see how evolution would ever achieve anything more than a pile of dysfunctional matter.

Why wouldn't a religious site be biased? If it conflicts with their ideas, why would they be FOR it? Of course they're against it and that's the perfect place to go if you're against it. Christianity may teach the importance of truth but who's truth? I've never said all religious people are closed-minded or ignorant.

True, I'm sure there are biased people. Usually people who are biased don't get much credit. I didn't read the source, but it either brought of points of why evolution might be wrong, or it was ignorant and foolish. Either way, I think it is unfair to say that all Christians' are biased. It's possible to believe something is wrong without being biased.

Also, you say "I don't lose anything by believing in the Bible". I say, yes you do. You, and many many others believing it and doing things by it. You don't have to believe in God to have christian values. Look at me :P But really, I don't want to drag another topic into this but it ties in with what you believe. You've told me directly that you're not concerned about the environment or your impact on it because God will take care of it. While I'm being dramatic, there's a pretty big christian population out there and if they all think like you, losing Earth might be a little bit of a loss. Not to mention your Sundays.

Ultimately, God is just an excuse to be good and do good things when people should do it anyway.

True, I do believe God will keep us from destroying ourselves. I don't believe we're really changing our environment that much. I think there's a lot of scared people out there that think we are making a profound change. Sure we add carbon dioxide to the air, but don't trees and such need it? Doesn't more of it benefit them?

Spanky, I could cite several times where you have said it doesn't matter what happens, because you'll be dead. Why are you so concerned for the earth? I think the earth will take care of itself. meaning when this place because uninhabitable for life, it'll go back to the way it was before that meteor hit it and started infecting it with the decease that is life. But who knows what the earth thinks, It's a rock without feelings.

I don't waste my Sunday. I could very well blow that time smoking. I enjoy the time I get with friends and to hang out with people. Sure I might sit for an hour listening. But think of it this way, I can better my listening skills.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #31 on: Monday, April 12, 2010, 22:34:02 PM »
I know what evolution is. I stated the definition before I started talking about it. And you say that these changes are out of our control. What has control then? Is it an external force? Evolution is the process of gradual change. Meaning somehow we come up with things we need and some how we find the information of how to form it. DNA is what holds the key information in forming must things. How can a creature write new code for itself? I keep asking how something knows it needs to change, but I guess that's the wrong question. Instead I'll ask, how does it know how to change? Like I said, what defines a wing? This need to change, it has to come from something, whether it's a subconscious need to change or some external force. The fact still remains, you can't add something to yourself or your species over countless generation without a clear understanding of what you're actually adding.
I don't see how evolution would ever achieve anything more than a pile of dysfunctional matter.
I don't know. I'm not too proficient at coding DNA myself so I can't really answer that. It's probably similar to how radiation or viruses change animal's DNA but in a more organized manner. The problem is though that all we see are successful animals, we don't see the screwups because they died off.

True, I'm sure there are biased people. Usually people who are biased don't get much credit. I didn't read the source, but it either brought of points of why evolution might be wrong, or it was ignorant and foolish. Either way, I think it is unfair to say that all Christians' are biased. It's possible to believe something is wrong without being biased.
Yea there's unbiased sources but I'm not going to go to an Intel fanboy to learn how bad AMD is :)

True, I do believe God will keep us from destroying ourselves. I don't believe we're really changing our environment that much. I think there's a lot of scared people out there that think we are making a profound change. Sure we add carbon dioxide to the air, but don't trees and such need it? Doesn't more of it benefit them?

Spanky, I could cite several times where you have said it doesn't matter what happens, because you'll be dead. Why are you so concerned for the earth? I think the earth will take care of itself. meaning when this place because uninhabitable for life, it'll go back to the way it was before that meteor hit it and started infecting it with the decease that is life. But who knows what the earth thinks, It's a rock without feelings.
It's just plain lazy to think that. I don't give a crap what happens to the earth when I'm dead since I probably won't have kids. That doesn't mean that I want to live in a shit hole just because you think somebody else (God) will take care of it all. I didn't want to drag that topic into the conversation so I'll end it there.

I don't waste my Sunday. I could very well blow that time smoking. I enjoy the time I get with friends and to hang out with people. Sure I might sit for an hour listening. But think of it this way, I can better my listening skills.
You are such an annoying optimist :)
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

-Delta-

« Reply #32 on: Monday, April 12, 2010, 22:58:19 PM »
I don't know. I'm not too proficient at coding DNA myself so I can't really answer that. It's probably similar to how radiation or viruses change animal's DNA but in a more organized manner. The problem is though that all we see are successful animals, we don't see the screwups because they died off.

A virus doesn't really change DNA. A virus usually attacks a cell and injects its own DNA, then uses the cell to reproduce itself lots of times until the cell explodes from all the little viruses. At least I think that's how they work. They don't really take over your body, They just use it to reproduce, destroying cells in the process.

Radiation is like a bad memory stick in your computer. It corrupts the data and leaves it in an altered state.

Maybe the the evolutionary mistakes did die off. But where are the fossils?

Yea there's unbiased sources but I'm not going to go to an Intel fanboy to learn how bad AMD is :)

True, but the same can happen if you go to an Intel site, they might be unfairly biased towards AMD. Is there a place where you can truly get unbiased information?

It's just plain lazy to think that. I don't give a crap what happens to the earth when I'm dead since I probably won't have kids. That doesn't mean that I want to live in a shit hole just because you think somebody else (God) will take care of it all. I didn't want to drag that topic into the conversation so I'll end it there.

Lazy? I never said I wouldn't do my part to save the earth. In fact the idea of generating most of our power from wind fascinates me. Same with solar, since power consumption is the leading cause in CO2 emissions I can see these things being a major step in the right direction. But what I don't think we need to do is sacrifice things to save our environment. We can't demand a company change the way it does something just because we think they're hurting the environment. Like I'm not giving up my flush toilet because it wastes water.

While I think God will take care of the earth. I do believe God has commanded us to take care of the earth. Now, identifying what is bad for the earth is open to interpretation. All things come from the earth, things that hurt the earth don't hurt the earth, they hurt us. The earth doesn't need us, we need it. So lets stop talking about the earth for a second and start talking about ourselves.  :)

You are such an annoying optimist

I'm a better listener than you and you know it.  :P

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #33 on: Monday, April 12, 2010, 23:06:24 PM »
Forget I mentioned viruses. Still, radiation alters DNA. If an outside force can do it, why can't evolution do it in favor of the animal?

It seems like the discussion is dying. I'd hoped more people would get involved =\
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

-Delta-

« Reply #34 on: Monday, April 12, 2010, 23:16:36 PM »
I doubt people even bothered reading our epically long posts.

I don't know a whole lot about radiation. But I don't think it really adds to our DNA. Like I used the "bad memory module" analogy. Just like bad memory, it deletes, and corrupts information.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #35 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 10:02:54 AM »
I wanted to, but language barrier isn't helping any.

And lacking time is not good either; for both reading and writing.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Alex

« Reply #36 on: Tuesday, April 13, 2010, 14:47:16 PM »
I doubt people even bothered reading our epically long posts.

I've read most of them. But most of the stuff is over my head. I don't really know much about the subject.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager