Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Interdiction converting  (Read 4633 times)

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
Interdiction converting
« on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 06:41:36 AM »
This post is mostly for Koden (who logged off while I was typing...) but I will sticky it in case anybody else wants to try to convert a 2.8 map to 2.5. Basically, the AA developers renamed texture/staticmesh/sound packages for 2.8. Why they did this... I have no idea, it serves absolutely no purpose and gave them more work. So, this is the main obstacle for converting maps.

[...] cut [...]

Thank you for posting the guide, i followed the same process you described...one thing i wonder, i might have messed with the line(s) that seems missing on Interdiction, as mistyping a piece of code i was replacing (163.354 lines of code). I'm going to look and correcting the mess.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
Re: Interdiction converting
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 06:43:20 AM »
I would suggest starting from scratch. Removing all the NPC's yourself instead of relying on an Aussie to do it. Then go through and verify package names with UTPT. You'll get a feel for it.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 06:46:39 AM »
I would suggest starting from scratch. Removing all the NPC's yourself instead of relying on an Aussie to do it. Then go through and verify package names with UTPT. You'll get a feel for it.

I'm going to do that but it will take time and unfortunatly in the next days i have to sign for a new job and looking for a temporary place to live in.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »
While cleaning the Interdiction file from NPC uses and links i came across a "few" tags and lines that i couldn't delete from the AA Editor, lines like

Code: [Select]
Tag="AssaultNPCS"
and:

ProgressSound=Sound'S_AA2_Talking.NPC_Interrogation.Interrogate_Whisper'
I guess i have to delete a block of code that follows (or precedes) that line. I'm more picky about these lines because i don't want to create "white holes" around the link line into the code.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 10:27:57 AM by Koden »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 11:43:02 AM »
Btw, am i the only one that finds wierd to have this into Interdiction? I can't even remember about a civilian vehicle into this map.

M_AA2_Vehicles.GMC_Astro_Truck.veh3_GMC_Astro_Cab_full

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 14:00:11 PM »
Uploaded a newer version of the converted Interdiction, i think i would really enjoy messing with the 2.5 editor that Nate told me about.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 15:00:19 PM »
Message me when you get on again Koden. I have a proposal.

ProgressSound=Sound'S_AA2_Talking.NPC_Interrogation.Interrogate_Whisper'
I guess i have to delete a block of code that follows (or precedes) that line. I'm more picky about these lines because i don't want to create "white holes" around the link line into the code.

It's in 2.5:
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 15:08:22 PM by Spanky »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday, January 27, 2012, 12:17:02 PM »
Just a couple words to keep you updated: as far as now i'm trying to work on assigning 2.5 textures instead of the 2.8.5 ones, i might be using mAAp ones if i find some better fitting ones.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 08:03:24 AM »
Uploaded on Dropbox a version of the map for you guys to check out, feedback is appreciated :) i've used only 2.5 textures to replace those 2.8.5 missing, so i've tried to tie together the fitting ones available on 2.5. Missing textures are almost completely replaced, except for the elevator doors and some other things i probably forgot (i hope not tho). Next step will be finding the meshes needed to replace some pretty important elements (stairs, catwalks, rails, fermentors, etc).

As before, theres no playerstart yet, ghost as fast as you can.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 15:07:24 PM »
Koden, I really don't want to be mean since it's your first map but I really think you need to restart with a fresh copy from 2.8 and then use your carrot to make sure all the values are proper. You're still missing a lot of objects and it's going to be a pain in the butt to select them all from 2.8 and copy them over (they change position even if you "paste > to original location"). It's important to work with the txt until the map is done. Some of the textures you replaced just don't look right either. Like there's a barrel texture used for a ceiling and then generic low-res concrete used for trim.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 16:57:17 PM »
Koden, I really don't want to be mean since it's your first map but I really think you need to restart with a fresh copy from 2.8 and then use your carrot to make sure all the values are proper. You're still missing a lot of objects and it's going to be a pain in the butt to select them all from 2.8 and copy them over (they change position even if you "paste > to original location"). It's important to work with the txt until the map is done. Some of the textures you replaced just don't look right either. Like there's a barrel texture used for a ceiling and then generic low-res concrete used for trim.

Lol, i knew i was missing a lot of static meshes (architectural parts, objects and more), i wrote it in the post above. I don't get what you mean about the objects converting from 2.8 to 2.5 tho. Objects are missing as a whole set of assets. How could i fix them already from the .txt?

p.s. since when AA barrels have rivets? lol.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 17:00:05 PM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 17:05:19 PM »
Well, you can't do anything about the missing assets in 2.5 (aside from converting them to brushes, copying then pasting into 2.5 then converting back to meshes but you'll have to steal the textures too). I was more talking about all the missing light fixtures and several bare rooms and the missing rocks above the main room, doorframes, window frames, etc.

I'm just concerned that when you're "done", you will have tons of misaligned meshes and off-looking textures. Again, I'm not trying to be hard on you. This is why I said, it took me a week of everyday work to convert my first map and that was all before it looked "ok" in the 2.5 editor.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 17:07:32 PM by Spanky »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 18:29:24 PM »
Well, you can't do anything about the missing assets in 2.5 (aside from converting them to brushes, copying then pasting into 2.5 then converting back to meshes but you'll have to steal the textures too). I was more talking about all the missing light fixtures and several bare rooms and the missing rocks above the main room, doorframes, window frames, etc.

I'm just concerned that when you're "done", you will have tons of misaligned meshes and off-looking textures. Again, I'm not trying to be hard on you. This is why I said, it took me a week of everyday work to convert my first map and that was all before it looked "ok" in the 2.5 editor.

There are some assets from 2.8 that would really be useful to have because i don't even a replacement for them from both 2.5 or mAAp packages. I understand what you mean by misaligned meshes, i'm new to the UnrealEditor and i find some things not as straightforward as i thought.

Now, i'm more concerned about what to do if i were to use 2.8 textures and staticmeshes, if i am allowed to fit them into the mAAp packages. 

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 19:24:39 PM »
You can put stuff in the mAAp files. It just gets tricky because you have to load the whole package (3 pieces of paper) and then save it (which often makes the editor crash) and then copy it to Dropbox and tell us to update it.

I think you can kind of understand why we haven't made the editor public yet :) More headaches than what it's worth just so noobs can put a yeti inside a box and call it a fun map.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 23:07:15 PM »
or so people can stick a dildo inside urban assault and lol

hahahahahahahaahhahaha

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager