Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: What Makes an Excellent Sound Card?  (Read 38740 times)

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
  • AA: guily6669
Re: What Makes an Excellent Sound Card?
« Reply #90 on: Friday, April 13, 2012, 18:43:33 PM »
Can you provide frequency response or RMAA measurements for the X-Mini? You say they have great quality but then you say it distorts. Keep your story straight. I did reading and people like it for being the best PORTABLE speaker but I have yet to come across studios or home theater setups using them.

X-mini 2:

Dimension:60 mm×44mm (closed resonator)
Net Weight:83g
Speaker:Magnetically Shielded 40mm (4Ω)
Loudspeaker Output:2.5W
Frequency Response:100Hz - 20kHz
Signal-to-Noise:≥80dB
Distortion:≤1.0%
Playback Time:Up to 12 hours
Battery Capacity:400mAh
Battery Charging Voltage:5V
Battery Charge Time:Minimum of 2.5 hours.

Go see them on youtube (though you will never hear their quality, which can only be heard in real life). And they do have an impressive quality, since the coil is the size of my current headphones (40mm). They do sound like the sound of kinda a 2.1 system (not with that much rumble of a subwoofer, but plenty enough 4 what they are).

But As I said they kinda make distortions on some music (almost all will play very awesome), but there are still some that has some distortion, but seriously they are pure quality, I could never ask that much 4 what they are.

They probably have distortions, because instead of them trying to make it sound like a crap by letting it reproduce only higher frequencies, that little thing actually is good reproducing any frequency, even the lowest which are made for a subwoofer (the very deep frequencies aren't heard, but the speaker starts jumping all over the place :) ). I'm not saying they are high quality in Hi-fi standards, they are no fidelity for that standards.

But come on for what they really are, they are pretty damn good, and at least 8h of play I get from them always kicking hard ::) And what I loved even more, was that inside the simple package, comes a paper advertizing the poverty we have in the world, I think it even came with a picture of a unhealthy kid.

ps: I had some cheap copies of it, and they actually had no distortions (unless on full volume), but the quality damn, it was almost just as high as the ones on the laptop it self, they had no mids or low frequencies. X-mini really have them (and can go pretty damn loud if u want to remove all it's quality by equalizing the mid-higher frequencies to full).
The drivers you're talking about were likely abused but that doesn't surprise me from the way you talk about your equipment.
Well If beside the quality, the equipment is not made to be used 24/7 on it's full rated RMS power (constant power, nothing to do with the peak power), well then they are not reliable for people like me.

Back to your claim of CPU processing for audio being good and making things sound better. You claimed a lot that those sound cards like Auzentech and Creative are the best for processing. It's funny because I don't see those listed anywhere in the top 50 DACs on Head-Fi...
http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/amp-dacs
They're all straight pathways without any CPU processing.
Well, there are Hi-fi... PC gaming systems with special proccessing features.... DJ type sound... professional type sound...

PC gaming components never are rated by the music companies, they always have a very different part. But are they good? Well hear the enemy before they hear you. That's what I have to say about them, they are not made to be used in a studio, and that's they way it will be.

But actually some custom made equipment for some DJ's have a CPU even more powerful than all your computer, so I bet that mixed with good hardware pre-amp connected to a pro-amp, I bet it's something from other planet right? That's why we can nowadays make people with bad voice to be a world famous singer (digital, not analogic).
« Last Edit: Friday, April 13, 2012, 18:58:59 PM by guily6669 »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #91 on: Friday, April 13, 2012, 19:33:57 PM »
LOL, you keep mentioning hearing the enemy before they hear you... That is so pointless. That has no relevance on quality. That's just tweaking for gamers. Gamers NEVER have good quality stuff, it's all things pushed by companies with pretty lights on the products. It's like saying a F1 race car is the best car made because it goes fast. No it's not! It's engineered for a specific purpose and can't do much else. Logitech makes some nice gamer style keyboards and mice but they're not meant for durability or comfort, they're meant for looks and speed. Same for sound. Did you even read this thread about Creative's technology:
http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=575067
Those sound cards are useless in modern games and since they don't sound good compared to a DAC, why are they around? Because of the misinformation that people like you believe.

I'm not arguing that neodymium aren't powerful. I'm simply saying that they're not immune either. Also, since speakers are moving parts, the style of magnet affects the sound and a lot of people prefer ALNICO's sound. Neodymium is only being used because they're cheaper and stronger but that doesn't always mean better. Just like the size of the headphone drivers you're talking about. 40mm has very little in terms of information about the sound quality. The way it's built is much more important than the size. That was one of the first things I learned about headphones.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday, April 13, 2012, 20:02:04 PM »
LOL, you keep mentioning hearing the enemy before they hear you... That is so pointless. That has no relevance on quality. That's just tweaking for gamers. Gamers NEVER have good quality stuff, it's all things pushed by companies with pretty lights on the products. It's like saying a F1 race car is the best car made because it goes fast. No it's not! It's engineered for a specific purpose and can't do much else. Logitech makes some nice gamer style keyboards and mice but they're not meant for durability or comfort, they're meant for looks and speed. Same for sound. Did you even read this thread about Creative's technology:
http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=575067
Those sound cards are useless in modern games and since they don't sound good compared to a DAC, why are they around? Because of the misinformation that people like you believe.
LOL...

You don't seem to get my posts right... I never compared creative or even PC sound cards to HI-FI or pro-audio.

As I said PC is PC, Hi-fi is Hi-Fi and Pro-audio is pro audio.... they don't compete with each other in any way.

PC doesn't give a damn about fidelity it just requires good quality and huge processing in effects. As I said Creative have improved a lot... blahblahlah do I really need a creative card? (yes and no). Unless you love the distortions that ur onboard sound card makes and the special flavor of activating 3D in a certain game and all it does is bzuuuu brruuuu braaaa. I actually had lot's of boards, and in none I could use hardware 3D in almost all games, or it sounded like christmas..., oh and also you will enjoy so pure garbage sound on your 200$ super quality headphones, also you will get the lowest impedance, and low SNR DB on them.

Now does it really must be a creative card? No, Auzentech always made good ones too, Asus recently made good ones too, or you can have others, just chose ur favorite PCI express soundcard. And if you think you can somehow solder an amp from the 80's to the pc motherboard to act like a sound card, well just do it (it will require some WTF components, but oh well)...

And about old hi-fi being better than modern. Have you actually seen how a 5000€ stand-alone amplifier can do compared to the greatest ones of the 80's? That outputs almost the same power efficiency at all wattage levels, completely distortions free, oh and at almost 100% efficiency like some newer pioneer expensive claims (almost no power lost on heat, doesn't even need heatsinks, all the power is used to amplify sound, not much is lost), Which mean 100w on full power, will always have an higher peak input nowadays, and will probably consume like 108 W of electricity?
I'm not arguing that neodymium aren't powerful. I'm simply saying that they're not immune either. Also, since speakers are moving parts, the style of magnet affects the sound and a lot of people prefer ALNICO's sound. Neodymium is only being used because they're cheaper and stronger but that doesn't always mean better. Just like the size of the headphone drivers you're talking about. 40mm has very little in terms of information about the sound quality. The way it's built is much more important than the size. That was one of the first things I learned about headphones.
Really? Neodymium are permanent (that stands 4 ever. Still they may not be immune to 1000 years, that I have no clue) on it's magnetic field generator.

Are they cheap? Well they are one of the most expensive materials on earth (not talking about luxury ones like gold or diamonds, but wrath materials). The ones I sent from China were just a few gr, very little pieces, and cost me like 1.5€ or so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rare Earth magnets (also known as Neodymium magnets) are 5 to 7 times stronger than Ferrite Magnets and offer the most value for money. They provide high energy, maximum efficiency and extreme stability when exposed to other electromagnetic fields. For this reason they are commonly used in engineering, electronics and medical fields.

Rare Earth Magnets are the most advanced magnet with superior performance
and are a logical choice when extra strength in a reduced size is important. Available in Nickel or Gold plated varieties.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Friday, April 13, 2012, 20:39:11 PM by guily6669 »

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday, April 13, 2012, 20:11:37 PM »
Woofers with neodymium magnets from china are expensive because china recently increased the prices. China claims their neodymium reserve is low and so they made a "protection law" until the neodymium amount increases.

Best buy from USA.

Here's a fun fact for you, I had the chance to handle a neodymium magnet a few months ago in one of my physics classes. It was cylinder shaped, about 1.75inches tall and 1inch diameter. It was so strong I couldn't pull it straight off a metal surface unless I used both hands. I had to tip it on one end and then pull. That was the first time I ever ran into a neodymium magnet. Just random info for you.

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Friday, April 13, 2012, 20:20:13 PM »
Yeah, even the very little ones I bought made in China, I almost couldn't pull them away.

But it's not just that they increased prices, they have always been expensive, because they are not just a special magnet, they are really a RARE MATERIAL on this planet (unless someone discover tons of miles of them).

And if you read up you see why would you rather use then in high fidelity equipment of any kind (sound, and any kind of electronics).

So why would the best high fidelity expensive amplifiers of nowadays are worst if they have all the best components ever produced known by humanity. Crazy new designs hardly tested with computers, the best of two worlds, Super powerfull computers (way more powerfull than ur PC) together with the best amplifying components just to produce sound. That's just what modern expensive high fidelity systems are, they are pure advanced computers with the best used components, and the use of gold on all the motherboard connections instead of copper and blahblahblah so many technologies that were discovered over the years.

How can that be worst than the 80's amps? (Which probably didn't even had a way to test the so called Hi fidelity they had). I already heard to some expensive Hi-fi sound systems studio kind, and I don't think the amplification as ever been so clean!

BUT, I'm still happier with a PC with a good sound card, with a good headphones, and some home cinema speakers instead of hi-fi systems (which are getting old nowadays, as everyone is going for the home cinema kind of sound). I guess people just prefer to exchange high fidelity to the rumble of the subwoofer (I'm one of those). But I do realize that if you still want some real high fidelity system, you can still have them better than ever, it will just cost too much and a normal person won't enjoy it (unless your a composer and music producer).
 Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Friday, April 13, 2012, 20:28:00 PM by guily6669 »

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 00:42:23 AM »
Speaking of multiple subs, one time I came across someone whose intelligence vs. wealth were inversely proportional. He had 2 12inch subs in a room and claimed that when he had 1 12inch a few years ago it was better. Even told me that one sub from his new ones were more expensive than his old one. I wanted to punch the guy in the mouth so hard. I moved the subs around and made him eat his tears after I told him don't face the subs together ya cunt.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 05:20:34 AM »
I don't get why people need to blow things apart using audio equipment. Aside from blowing the equip itself which anyway depends on your spending capability. Personally i almost never use standalone speakers but i prefer headphones (it's a totally different approach of course).

A little history for your entertainment (please note that the last card in the video being a Creative its not meant to make any point):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a324ykKV-7Y[/youtube]
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 06:53:57 AM by Koden »

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 06:31:05 AM »
Finally we'r making some sense 8). But about the prices, actually at least here where I live, A good sound system from the 80's would probably have cost you the price of a few months of work (on the minimum salary), so it's not much difference.

The good thing is nowadays you get systems with good sound quality for dirty cheap.

And no, I know my logitech aren't anything you can really trust for an audiophile . BUT, haven't seen so much offer for such a low price. Even the best from creative which is slightly better cost like 500€ and have no digital plugs, you have to pay extra 150 or more for the decoder. Logitech Z5500 is really 505w RMS not that bad quality, at least mine doesn't make such crappy distortions, have a big rumble, and the best is they already have digital sound for 250€ (which is near the price of just one single medium fidelity speaker).

I already had\have 18.5 speakers (18 satellites and 5 subwoofers). 2x5.1 + 4x 2.1. And I do believe I had one more 2.1 which I'm not even remembering...
Speaking of multiple subs, one time I came across someone whose intelligence vs. wealth were inversely proportional. He had 2 12inch subs in a room and claimed that when he had 1 12inch a few years ago it was better. Even told me that one sub from his new ones were more expensive than his old one. I wanted to punch the guy in the mouth so hard. I moved the subs around and made him eat his tears after I told him don't face the subs together ya cunt.
I understand that pretty well. Most of us won't have a good place to have the speakers.

I remember one crappy 2.1 from creative which are the standards for (low-mid bidget of 50€) which are the standards as 2x6w + 17w subwoofer if I'm not mistaking. Here in my little full of things bedroom, they aren't anything impressive. But when I used them in a huge empty room full of metal and glass on the sides damnnnnnnn.

That crap sounded like I had a million dollars system for real lol, 17 w never sounded so much powerfull with all the probably 30 huge thin glasses shaking all over the place. All I could say is wtf, it was so damn loud. (the fidelity was million of years away, but it sounded powerful, and that makes me a happy customer ;D).

But the quality in my room DAMN, it's the worst you can get, even the Z5500 have trouble to make it rumble, but when I put it on the living room, it get's dangerous as everything starts shaking and falling down and whateva  :D
Yeah that sound system was insane, but you listen to hip hop and no music that requires quality, so you have a perfect system for your needs.
Totally agree. But still I have heard some good high fidelity modern systems in a proper room, they are like crystal, but are they good? (Hell they have a lot of quality, but I wouldn't buy them even if they were cheap).

And why would I not buy them? Well because my dream is a total different thing. Instead of having full range, I would prefer having lot's of different good drivers each producing a certain frequency, with a HUGE woofer for the bick kicks and punches, and a even bigger subwoofer for the rumbles, and EVEN with the addition of a rotary sub to get the lowest frequency ever possible.

And I even prefer John Lennon on a non high fidelity system, it sound so much more powerful with the subwoofer on the back making all the "chords" (don't know if that's the word) to a all new level.

Also even most modern good quality Hi-fi with the best wood, all hand built, freakin new designs from other planet... even them are adding subwoofers and other type of things which are totally against the original Hi fidelity.

But you have to agree that the so called Hi fidelity term just simply changed it's concept, as there are newer ones distortions free with less input lag and all kind of things which also sound different than the original concept, in my opinion they sound better. (But one thing that almost never changed are the studio sound systems, they are at it's best, and still try to be all range speakers). Therefore Hi-fidelity term doesn't totally exists, and it's a term wich is in a constant changing.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Oh and actually my father is just like you, he has ton's of vinyls from all the old bands, he specially loves john Lennon, Vivaldi, composers, Beatles...., and actually my father kinda stolen my X-mini II  >:(. He loved the quality of the little speaker and got so impressed by how such small crap can sound so damn good. He never hear music on the laptop speakers anymore.

And he actually prefer when I'm playing Nirvana or John Lennon... in my 9.3 system connected to the pc than the old good amplifiers and speakers from the 80's. Hell he even always tell me to increase the volume to make the windows to do the sound of the music :P  And he really had a nice sound system that me and my bro kinda destroyed  :(.

ps: Damn If I had millions you can bet I would make my dream true (having lot's of speakers, each playing only a certain frequency)  ;).

>>I know it's too much blahblahblah, but I do believe you will like to read :-X<<
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 07:05:58 AM by guily6669 »

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 07:08:58 AM »

I remember one crappy 2.1 from creative which are the standards for (low-mid bidget of 50€) which are the standards as 2x6w + 17w subwoofer if I'm not mistaking. Here in my little full of things bedroom, they aren't anything impressive. But when I used them in a huge empty room full of metal and glass on the sides damnnnnnnn.

That crap sounded like I had a million dollars system for real lol, 17 w never sounded so much powerfull with all the probably 30 huge thin glasses shaking all over the place. All I could say is wtf, it was so damn loud. (the fidelity was million of years away, but it sounded powerful, and that makes me a happy customer ;D).

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 07:24:40 AM »
LOL, I know I overreacted, but do that with your speakers and you will see what I was talking.

The glasses were all big and kinda free to move in all metal thin stores, there was so much amplification and resonance in the room for real, it just sounded like those car crazy bastards that wasted thousand of $ for huge dirty power, but I was only running a crapy ~30w crappy system.

And about High fidelity. I guess modern high fidelity are changing to something like this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some good sound of nowadays:

CES 2009: Sennheiser announces "world's best headphones"- the HD800s
By
Duncan Geere
on January 8, 2009 No Comments

sennheiser-hd800

making quite a bold claim here - the world's best headphones. The HD800s apparently sound better than any other pair of headphones on the planet. I suspect that it might be difficult to prove that one to a jury - surely it's more than a little subjective?

But let's not quibble over that - it's beyond doubt that these are damn good. A brand new "RING" driver, developed specifically for these cans alone, can deliver an amazing 6Hz - 51kHz frequency response. For comparison, your average person on the street can hear about 20Hz to 20kHz. Unless you're an audiophile, therefore, you're not going to get much out of these. Sennheiser also claims an amazingly low 0.02% distortion.

Something modern and good, far from the best, but pretty damn good:
Yamaha intros A-S700 amp and CD-S700 CD player
By
Andy Merrett
on October 8, 2008 No Comments

Yamaha continues to push out its high-end audio products with the introduction of the A-S700 amplifier and CD-S700 CD player. Mercifully, both come without an iPod dock.

The amp can pump out 90W RMS power over two channels with a SNR of 98dB and frequency response of 10Hz-100kHz, and features Total Purity Audio Reproduction Technology.

And something more classic sound type, but with modern components (just like I said, everything nowadays is possible).
Acapella unveils new Violon & High Violon MKIV speaker set - beauty is in the ear of the beholder
By
Al W
on July 29, 2008 No Comments

(It sure as hell isn't in the eye)

German audio company Acapella Audio Arts is a household name amongst serious audiophiles and renowned for its dangerously high quality audio products, and in particular its Violon loudspeakers. Well, audiophiles, prepare to clasp the nearest ring binder to your waists and shuffle cautiously towards the gents; Acapella has just unveiled its latest Violon set - the Violon & High Violon MKIV.

Sporting the same external design as its predecessor, the MKIV features a patented ion plasma tweeter, a new updated crossover, internal cabinet modifications and advanced tuning techniques. The woofers have been overhauled and made larger. The large horns on the front have also been finished in Porsche Macadamia Metallic, giving this version of the speaker something much more reminiscent of a classic gramophone.

ps: I'm not being a smart-ass, I'm just showing that we still have good modern sound systems, some even pretty reliable to the so cald old term of high fidelity. And those I shown are approved by "audiophiles", and are even far from being at a true master studio of nowadays which have even more impressive components.
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 07:34:57 AM by guily6669 »

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
Actually I say 1+1=2 and you come saying I said 1+1=4? Get ur facts...

I said logitech have no fidelity. But they are actually pretty damn good at quality vs price, actually in all reviews they got 9\10, 8\10, 4.5\5... specially because they offer a lot for a very cheap price. No one said they were top of the line, they are just one of the best gaming home cinema all in one, specially because it's just plug and play...

They aren't mean for you to become a DJ using them or that kind of shit, but they actually will be enough for like 8\10 people that have them...

And actually you all are the ones who said we have no built quality nowadays, none of the companies make them like they used to anymore, that's wrong, since there are lot of expensive speakers, which are hand built, metal made on Porche factory, best parts made in all the best factories and most have really been manufactured... And each of them are really tested to ensure all really have the right fidelity for their standards.

And then comparing normal old magnets to permanent magnets, use of less copper to use of lot's of copper and gold... Use of digital systems with the minimum distortion possible ever made with the 80's analogic systems and so one.... Comparing low efficiency with high efficiency which doesn't even waste energy heating, all on sound...

Use of advanced membranes materials made from fibers to titanium compared to the old materials used in the 80's, which all the cheap ones from that time are all made of something that looks like paper (I'm not talking about the true Hi-fi systems, I'm talking about just crappy coils for other usage, most were made of something that looks like paper, I have lot's of them around).

Also comparing every kind of new inventors that designed special custom case designs that even make the same coil to produce even better sounds... to an era that didn't had much evolution as nowadays and didn't had all those new crazy internal designs that nowadays at each day it comes a new better and improved design.

ps: Everything improved no matter if you like it or not. Nowadays u have all kind of systems for all ur "audiophile" hears, with the most frequency range ever created by humanity... And that's it. Lower budget systems is what we want nowadays, and will even be more used in the future with this crisis, the cheaper a thing is, the more ppl go behind them (I'm one of them)...
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 11:07:13 AM by guily6669 »

Offline Ganja

« Reply #101 on: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »
If you guys'd come playing AA instead of making such a conversation, it would be very much active again

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
If you guys'd come playing AA instead of making such a conversation, it would be very much active again
LOL 8).

I like talking about technologies... We'r just discussing not killing each other  :D.
Keep Cool

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #103 on: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 13:29:30 PM »

Unfortunately, I've lost interest in both AA and this thread.
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Saturday, April 14, 2012, 15:36:27 PM »
Did nobody look at the pictures of the speakers that I linked to? Those are hi-fi and don't cost the price of a new car. Guily linked to a picture of Klipsch's which are indeed hi-fi but only because it's from a big company that acts like an asshole sometimes. They once sued BIC for making a subwoofer with an orange colored cone. I don't wanna knock on Klipsch or anything, but they are just a stepping stone for true hi-fi. I'm sure anyone who gets Klipsch will be perfectly happy with it.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager