Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: What Makes an Excellent Sound Card?  (Read 38736 times)

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What Makes an Excellent Sound Card?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 19:02:15 PM »
Here's my little rant on my opinion of audio tech globalization.
Oh btw in Guily's post, the woofers in those speakers look like a pair from Aurum Cantus.

The MP3 compression scheme adds a special type of high shelving filter to reduces the range of higher frequencies. Higher frequencies (that is frequencies above approx. 15,000 in most MP3 cases) impact the size of a file much more than lower frequencies. A single hi-hat can span between 15,000 and 20,000 hertz. While a bass note can literally be one sine wave. In the case of bass guitars, a single note has harmonics up to about 1,000 hertz (because you usually hear a quick pluck while the rest of the note is bass harmonics below 500 hertz in most cases). The important thing to note here is that because the way music/instruments is/are, there is much more high frequency information than low frequency information quantitatively. So for MP3's, high frequency information is lost to lower file size.

Okay cool, but then you can boost high frequencies to get it back just like creative does right? LOL NOPE. The MP3 codec has been in development for years to figure out the perfect filter to compress music so that humans have a hard time distinguishing between the original and compressed copies. It is a very complex formula and it's quite amazing how we can store music digitally at such low file sizes and still have acceptable quality. 128kbps is not acceptable quality depending on the material. But a variable bit rate V0 file is quite excellent quality and many will not be able to tell the difference. 320kbps is unnecessary between file size and performance. If you're gonna do a 320, you might as well have it in FLAC. A 320kbps file is the best example of the misleading "bigger is better" belief. Once you at the FLAC level you really only benefit from it by having very expensive speakers. There is the belief that frequencies above 20,000 affect the perception of sound even if we can't hear it. I agree, but this is only gonna be useful and valid for you if you're listening to music created by live instruments in an expensive studio and listening with expensive speakers with a huge range. Nobody I know, or anybody on this forum is at that level. Nobody has that kind of system. And if you did, you would be listening to vinyls.

These days nobody really pops in a tune, mixes some drinks, and listens to it. We're all mostly less than 3 feet from our computers listening through some cheap chinese/japanese sweat shop factory trash while companies will tell us, "HEY THIS IS THE BEST QUALITY BROOO". These days, our cheap equipment and cheap music is enough for us and thats perfectly okay. But it's nice to have that classic feel of live instruments recorded in a truly pro studio listening through some excellently engineered speakers at a distance with all the dynamics and everything.

And for the record, if you really wanted quality audio, it would come from a company you never heard of that never advertises because it caters to an elite level that doesn't need to be told what is the best. There's nothing hipster about that statement.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 19:05:02 PM by BlueBlaster »

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
  • AA: guily6669
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 19:17:32 PM »
Well there's so many ways to encode music as .mp3... I actually used one that I actually preffered the only 128kbs .mp3 file than listening trough the actual CD... I was mixing with the special settings of the converter... If you instead of using 44khz use 48khz most of the musics will sound much better. Actually I can even make it 64kbs (only wma, because on the mp3, no matter what I did in this low rate it really were bad) sounding almost like the 128...

And well no one though it was possible to get things out from your hdd after you format it a million times... And nowadays everyone know it's possible. Lot's of things that look impossible sometimes are craked by someone. I do know creative actually has a very high knowledge in music business, but I know they are far away from the highs quality, but they know a lot about sound effects and all the newer special sound features.

About manufacturers, that's mostly a lie, most of the companies that still make good quality speakers, uses all the improvements they gathered over the years in the new systems, and use even newer and better components, I saw lot's of documentations of making of some of them, and they still have strange and lot better designs and use of titanium, best wood, neodymnium magnets... that's something no one could even think of on the old speakers (just the wood)...
guily that amp is shit, it doesnt even go to 11
LOL, but at 10, it used to kill your hears already, everyone could hear the KEF speakers sound at like 300 meters from the house, but I still prefer a lot nowadays quality...
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 19:19:12 PM by guily6669 »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 19:19:33 PM »
As always, Blue comes in with a great technical explanation :)

*EDIT* Guily, you have GOT to be trolling. I mean... you can't seriously believe the words you're saying...
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 19:38:11 PM »
As always, Blue comes in with a great technical explanation :)

*EDIT* Guily, you have GOT to be trolling. I mean... you can't seriously believe the words you're saying...
Yeah I do... Just like in cars, here lot's of ppl say cars nowadays suck full of electronics, the old cars were the ones... Yeah they were... a 300hp car that almost doesn't go at 200km\h and suck 30 liters of gas for that... (And I'm also an old car enthusiastic, specially US Muscle cars). But cars nowadays thanks to new technologies, have lot more power. Hell even a 60hp car nowadays have enough power for everything, while a very old car that had 60hp, would not even be able to get in my garage which have a big inclination...

In music is just the same, and barely in everything...
expensive speakers with a huge range. Nobody I know, or anybody on this forum is at that level. Nobody has that kind of system. And if you did, you would be listening to vinyls.
I had studio quality system for more than a year here in my house off (only tested one time).

Something like this:

It had 10 or more outputs for professional type speakers (500w each), I have no idea which was the manufacter, all i know is that shit cost the price of maybe 50xZ5500 digital. But I  remember well that the speakers were two JBL huge 1000w rms professional speakers, and hell they had a pretty good quality, but I still prefer the PC sound (is more my type. Sattelites+subwoofer).

But my dream is having not all range speakers like studio kind, but having lots and lot's of speakers, each playing only a certain frequency. Let's say a huge woofer for the kicks, a huge subwoofer for the rumble, a huge speaker for the mid low, a huge for the mids, a medium for the mid-high, and little for the highs. That was my dream, all lower ones made of titanium, and the higher frequency one to be a horn type, oh and a rotary subwoofer type for the very deepest rumble possible (damn it can be made nowadays, it's just a matter of having a lot of $$$$$$), but I don't think you could ever had anything like this in the old times, that was not possible.

ps: and I can't find the subwoofer that cost like 10K $ or more, since you guys say we have no built quality nowadays... this sub has lot of thecnologies in it to increase bass, even in the case design...
guily, now a days everything is mass produced, the quality is lowered in order to pump out components quicker (cheap labour, cheap parts, cheap materials) which in turn = profit. you could get a system now a days that beats older stuff but u wont find it on the shelf at ur local store, it'd be custom jobs that u pay a lot for.
easiest example is cars, compare your mass produced car to say Ferrari which only makes a small number of cars, they can afford to focus on every little detail, it costs a lot more then mass produced cars but the small numbers and attention to detail means every part is the best.

I agree with what blue said about the best stuff wont be up on billboards or tv ads.
Well the quality of cars nowadays are lot higher than older ones...

There are some good mass produced materials, which come better by robots than made by humans...

Also mass produced can be made for making cheap things, but can also be used to make expensive things...

And the expensive high quality things compared to the expensive old high quality things, you can't even compare...

Boards are better, solder are better and take lot more heat, condensers improved a billion times, every component has improved over the years... transistors, resistances............

ps: Nowadays there are simple lots and lot's of cheap things that we never had before, creative is one of those, but their best speaker system has a good quality and have like 600w RMS and cost here around 500€ which is already expensive. But ofcourse their 50€ 2.1 systems, have all pretty bad components... (50€ = 10 contos of my old currency, and with 10 contos all you could buy "HERE" was probably just the cables in the 80's)...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OH other things, 4 example in the cars, ppl always think old cars were lot safer since they were all hard metal... actually that's wrong. There's in the youtube a car crash against a huge and heavy old car (I think a chevy) against a crappy cheap car of nowadays, and the old car kinda broke into pices and would have killed everyone inside, while the new car, dind't take that much danger and everyone would probably survive.

ps: that was just a myth (unless compared against a chine model car, cause their crash tests are pretty.... BAD)...
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 19:53:28 PM by guily6669 »

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 19:55:41 PM »
In music is just the same, and barely in everything...I had studio quality system for more than a year here in my house off (only tested one time).

Something like this:

Those are for studios, production, etc. You can find that in any music or news studio. That's not for home listening. You can use them for home listening but that wouldn't make sense because those go in carpeted and sealed environments. The environment is as important as the speakers. They sound fine and everything but are for reproducing something different.

Yeah they will sound better than the Z5500 and I would take them over the Z5500, but it would still bother me that it is studio equipment lol.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 20:41:56 PM by BlueBlaster »

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 19:59:57 PM »
Here's some epic quality for you guily:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CewacsP6TSY[/youtube]
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 20:13:48 PM »
I wonder if those have crossovers at all. And whether they are passive or active. I'm not a great speaker designer but I'd think a passive crossover for those things would be a nightmare to make especially since you have multiple series and parallel things going on.

Here's some high quality speakers for realsies:

And here's a crazy one. Spherical wave horn on top, regular horn on the bottom.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 20:43:00 PM by BlueBlaster »

Jared

« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 20:29:49 PM »
headset + eq = cheeter

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 20:43:20 PM »
headset + eq = cheeter
Studio + equalizer cheater then...
Best sound creater use equalizer so they are noobs too... all professionals use equalizer so they are noobs too...

I always use the equalizer. I just don't use it with the headphones (because i just don't care, nowadays I never really enjoy music trough the headphones, it must be the all house shaking or nothing), but there are still tons of musics that need equalization to sound crystal clear. Well maybe If I had one of the newer creative soundcards, I wouldn't need to equalize antything...

On the laptop 4 example I increase all the low frequencies and decrease the higher ones, because the speakers are so damn crappy and are very high frequency, but if I wanna make it loud to someone far can listen I can increase the higher frequencies and decrease the low to low-mid ones...

And when I connect the speakers, I always equalize it a lot, and depending on the music I can be equalizing all day long :(
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About older being better than newer is just a lie... People say the same thing about everything, about cars, about bikes, motorbikes, airguns... abouit really almost anything, even about computers...

Well I remember my father's pentium 1 looked BAD cost a lot, quality = 0, git screwed in like 3 years... I remember the old P3 800mhz, which was a top of the line PC back then which cost around 500 contos (~2500€ ~3275 US$), it got screwed 2 years later... And the build quality YACK, just looked like a nude hadrware and a normal crappy bad looking case.

Then I bought my first PC just 4 me, the P4 3.6ghz, back in this time (like 2004 or so), computers had lot better quality already, the computer lasted until like 2008, but I broke lot's of hardware too, then I had my bro's AMD from 2006... And now in 2011 I bought the I7 2600k, GTX570, high efficiency psu from corsair 80+gold certified, and Asus saberthooth, and some crazy ass rams, all for like 1600€. The built quality has improved so damn much over years, damn I could only dream on having this built quality when my father paid 2500€ for the pentium 3 that was one top of the line computer that almost none had, but it just looked like any pentium I old pc that lot's of ppl had in their homes...

Nowadays 4 example in pc's, they use lot more aliminium and copper, lot more components, and every of them are improved ones. My motherboard 4 example is the first to be all covered with a shield, it's military certified, comes with a document signed by ASUS with the tests they make, they even test the condensers on salt+water, and they ensure they are the best anti-rust materials, and I really enjoy that gold document signed by them about the quality...

In the amplifiers and speaker sound improvements is just the same. There are all kinds of inventors, they made new kind of scheme designs other than the empty wood boxes from the 80's, the schemes of the hardware are tons more complex. And for last, if u get any schematics paper of an old good amplifier and you recreate it with modern equivalent materials, actually you get to a point that you will realize it will be more efficient, consume less, heat less, have a cleaner amplification and probably even more power without burning it...
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 20:56:28 PM by guily6669 »

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 20:53:15 PM »
I'm not sure that audio components follow Moore's Law. I can run a 1 ohm load on a tube amplifier on max all day. If I try a 1 ohm load on solid state amps from this age, it will blow immediately. Although the comparison is a bit unfair.

The only thing that happened in the few decades is more electronic components to improve efficiency. A lot of people mistakenly try to determine which components does it better (digital or analog), but it's a combination of both that makes the best.

The ideas and designs from vintage audio hasn't changed. Speaker components have improved, but only if you pay for it. Machines has allowed cheaper components to become a part of everything these days. That's nice but for the good stuff you still have to pay big bucks. Even back 50 years ago or more, you still had to pay big bucks. The only difference is 50 years ago, low end (cheap things) didn't exist. Now every idiot can go buy a magnet and wire and make a shitty $2 dollar speaker. Or you can get a less shittier, but still shit, $10 speaker from china.

Mass production vs manual labor is the important thing here. Let me repeat again, components are improving but only if you pay for it.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 20:54:59 PM by BlueBlaster »

Offline Alex

« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 20:58:49 PM »
Here's my little rant on my opinion of audio tech globalization.
Oh btw in Guily's post, the woofers in those speakers look like a pair from Aurum Cantus.

The MP3 compression scheme adds a special type of high shelving filter to reduces the range of higher frequencies. Higher frequencies (that is frequencies above approx. 15,000 in most MP3 cases) impact the size of a file much more than lower frequencies. A single hi-hat can span between 15,000 and 20,000 hertz. While a bass note can literally be one sine wave. In the case of bass guitars, a single note has harmonics up to about 1,000 hertz (because you usually hear a quick pluck while the rest of the note is bass harmonics below 500 hertz in most cases). The important thing to note here is that because the way music/instruments is/are, there is much more high frequency information than low frequency information quantitatively. So for MP3's, high frequency information is lost to lower file size.

Okay cool, but then you can boost high frequencies to get it back just like creative does right? LOL NOPE. The MP3 codec has been in development for years to figure out the perfect filter to compress music so that humans have a hard time distinguishing between the original and compressed copies. It is a very complex formula and it's quite amazing how we can store music digitally at such low file sizes and still have acceptable quality. 128kbps is not acceptable quality depending on the material. But a variable bit rate V0 file is quite excellent quality and many will not be able to tell the difference. 320kbps is unnecessary between file size and performance. If you're gonna do a 320, you might as well have it in FLAC. A 320kbps file is the best example of the misleading "bigger is better" belief. Once you at the FLAC level you really only benefit from it by having very expensive speakers. There is the belief that frequencies above 20,000 affect the perception of sound even if we can't hear it. I agree, but this is only gonna be useful and valid for you if you're listening to music created by live instruments in an expensive studio and listening with expensive speakers with a huge range. Nobody I know, or anybody on this forum is at that level. Nobody has that kind of system. And if you did, you would be listening to vinyls.

These days nobody really pops in a tune, mixes some drinks, and listens to it. We're all mostly less than 3 feet from our computers listening through some cheap chinese/japanese sweat shop factory trash while companies will tell us, "HEY THIS IS THE BEST QUALITY BROOO". These days, our cheap equipment and cheap music is enough for us and thats perfectly okay. But it's nice to have that classic feel of live instruments recorded in a truly pro studio listening through some excellently engineered speakers at a distance with all the dynamics and everything.

And for the record, if you really wanted quality audio, it would come from a company you never heard of that never advertises because it caters to an elite level that doesn't need to be told what is the best. There's nothing hipster about that statement.
What are you the encyclopedia on sound? :P Well written post.

But on your desktop or laptop, there's no reason not to have FLAC. I have some FLAC songs that are 100MB each :)
I have a lot of reasons to not have FLAC on my desktop, mainly having to download all of my music over again, but 10x larger. It would be a nightmare. :P Also, I don't have the sound equipment to enjoy FLAC any more than 320kbps mp3.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 21:02:04 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 21:07:48 PM »
Mass production vs manual labor is the important thing here. Let me repeat again, components are improving but only if you pay for it.
Well maybe for you in the US...

In the 90's almost no one had computer here... almost no one had amplifiers like the one my father had which cost a damn lot (he didn't told me the price, but he said he worked a lot for having it)...

In the 60's cars were rare here... on the 90's no one on my zone had internet, my father was the first to have it in like 95 or so...

So you come telling me that nowadays you can in fact have higher quality things if you pay a lot for them? Well in the past you could actually have.... NONE, the best chance is you could buy a cheap portable crappy old radio here...

And no one uses valves anymore, and thank god they don't, that just make up a lot of noise in the electrical system... hardware components have improved, that's a fact. Nowadays we use more digital than analog, and well the computer only in fact got to the point of what they are today because they became digital and not analog wich were all controlled manually valve by valve, tons of them eating tons of electricity, and burning in a few time that would need replace...

My bro's sound box has a valve amplifier, but I think is just to look vintage, I don't think it's amplifying anything (afteral that's one example of what are good old components used for... just to show and look vintage bad ass, they have no other usage for nowadays).
What are you the encyclopedia on sound? :P Well written post. I have a lot of reasons to not have FLAC on my desktop, mainly having to download all of my music over again, but 10x larger. It would be a nightmare. :P Also, I don't have the sound equipment to enjoy FLAC any more than 320kbps mp3.
Well I had 1 TB of sound. Imagine if it was in FLAC... I even converted every 320 .mp3 to .WMA 128, but in fact I made them even sound better in 128 than the original .mp3 320, because I tweaked the enconders, and specially used 48kz against the 44 original. (and you can even tweak a 64kbs .wma to sound pretty good, but the .mp3 at 64 is pretty crappy no matter what encoder you use or even with tweaks).
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 21:11:24 PM by guily6669 »

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 21:18:34 PM »
Third world country?

My country didn't have McDonalds until 1998 (and having fast food is an indicator of the countries globalization and luxury), and computers weren't semi-standard until 2004. In the US, middle-class schools had a few computers starting in 1996 and they usually ran MS-DOS, no internet except for higher-class schools. My country didn't have the concept of a computer until about 2000. These days most young people in my country use their smart phones instead of computers. I don't need to explain why.

It's 2012, there is no reason people can't buy almost anything regardless of where they live. My country isn't third world anymore but things are available even if expensive. International shipping costs $100? Doesn't matter because you can buy it.

Offline guily6669

• Sound Engineer
  • What the heck?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 21:38:28 PM »
Yeah, nowadays I see lot's of ppl from here buying huge sone of a biatch studio sound mixers and professional speakers, just to make private parties with friends... back in the 80's you would see ppl all together singing and playing guitar or listening to crapy quality radios...

About computers well, My school had them in 95 4 sure, internet came way later, but almost none had had a computer in their homes...

And good quality speakers are for example:

And I have seen on the discovery ppl using titanium speaker coils to simulate an earthquake, that thing was freakin powerfull, it's the hardest material you can get for the huge kicks in your heart...

I also like this type of speakers:

(Those are not expensive, and are pretty good for little shows and karaoke parties. This is an example of something not from the 80's... yeah it look like a crap quality plastic speakers, but as soon as you turn them on u think WTF, I never though they sounded so good for how little, light and cheap plastic look... this is an example of modern design improvements on something that isn't even wood, because lot's of newer speakers are still made from expensive WOOD).

That's the kind of professional speakers my brother uses (not from JBL) to play synthesizer from yamaha which has very nice sound effects, the electric guitar, really sounds almost like the real one, it makes all the treble and shake of the guitar, because there was a guy with an electric guitar from fender that used to come here, and actually the yamaha synthesizer had better guitar sound on some musics  ;D

It sounded even better than this video

(And it's not that yamaha keyboard, it's one with a blue touch lcd).
Keep Cool
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 21:48:53 PM by guily6669 »

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 21:43:51 PM »
Yeah lots of people use those for small parties or kareoke or whatever here. They're pretty good and easy to move around. Plus you can kick them hard and they still work.

A lot of keyboards and synthesizers have gotten really good recently. Nice things about them is you can tweak the sound really quickly and have good control over how it sounds. And you can do all the effects digitally which is nice. I have a Casio CTK-5000, it isn't a synthesizer or anything special. It's just a home keyboard, but it makes really nice organ sounds. Some of the guitars are okay, but guitars are easier to model now digitally.

These are really good budget PA speakers: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=245-804
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 21:58:07 PM by BlueBlaster »

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager