Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: AMD ditching the "ATI" brand  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Alex

AMD ditching the "ATI" brand
« on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 17:14:41 PM »
It seems that AMD is getting rid of its ATI brand in favor of a more central naming system. Future graphics card products will be under the name AMD Radeon and AMD FirePro. Not a big change, but it is bound to create some confusion. I say it is about time, carrying two names seems useless.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/amd-to-retire-ati-branding/9514

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: AMD ditching the "ATI" brand
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 17:33:42 PM »
Best to keep it simple. As long as the support site for drivers isn't confusing that would be nice. Sometimes it's annoying finding legacy drivers.

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 17:33:49 PM »
carrying two names seems useless.

Agreed. Shouldn't have much of an effect except for those with newer ATi cards. They'll feel like their equipment is so old. It's a great way for AMD to increase sales of newer cards :)
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 18:28:03 PM »
Now all the Apple products are going to read: CPU's by Intel, graphics by AMD. ;D

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 18:42:08 PM »
You know, this gets me thinking... nVidia always boasts about GPU computing and whatnot... why hasn't AMD pioneered this? They make both the CPU and the GPU (and chipset) in a lot of computers, why not an all in one? Like 5 GPU cores and 1 CPU core in a chip? Maybe they are and haven't publicized it yet.

Offline Alex

« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 19:08:53 PM »
You know, this gets me thinking... nVidia always boasts about GPU computing and whatnot... why hasn't AMD pioneered this? They make both the CPU and the GPU (and chipset) in a lot of computers, why not an all in one? Like 5 GPU cores and 1 CPU core in a chip? Maybe they are and haven't publicized it yet.

There is actually info out there about AMD doing just that.

From the link I posted.
The other reason behind this shedding of the ATI brand is new products. Specifically Fusion, which brings together a melding of CPU and GPU.  The first of these products, codenamed Ontario, will feature two low-power “Bobcat” CPUs combined with a Radeon GPU. This is expected to ship later this year. The more powerful Llano which features a quad-core Phenom II with a GPU is on track for the first half of 2011.

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #6 on: Monday, August 30, 2010, 19:22:49 PM »
That explains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppLtZGbI0Eg#t=0m10s

See I thought of this without even reading AMD news. I's brilliant.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 20, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »
Rumours are, Apple will be ditching Intel CPUs. Apple has bought several factories and is said to have commenced a very in-depth research on CPU-making. The next iPhone/iPad generation -based on the rumours- will be the first Apple products to discontinue the usage of Intel CPUs and give usage to their Apple's newly fabricated CPUs.

Rumours about Apple tend to be quite accurate. It is only a question of time until Apple's computers leave Intel behind as well.

Whereas this are recent rumours, early rumours on this subject have been had since 2008.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 20, 2010, 14:14:00 PM »
You can't just go and make your own processor. Intel and AMD are where they are because they have YEARS of experience. When has Apple ever made a processor? I remember it always being PowerPC or Motorolla or something. If they're truly making their own, they will suffer. If they're using someone else's (VIA maybe?) they'll still suffer. Using anything other than Intel or AMD in computers is really not a good idea.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 20, 2010, 15:36:47 PM »
You can't just go and make your own processor. Intel and AMD are where they are because they have YEARS of experience. When has Apple ever made a processor? I remember it always being PowerPC or Motorolla or something. If they're truly making their own, they will suffer. If they're using someone else's (VIA maybe?) they'll still suffer. Using anything other than Intel or AMD in computers is really not a good idea.

...My thoughts exactly. I do wonder what Apple may be coming up with.
"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - George S. Patton

Offline Alex

« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 20, 2010, 15:43:53 PM »
They don't need to come up with anything good, if it has Apple on it, their fanboys will eat it up. Case and point, the iPad.

Offline Dialects

« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 20, 2010, 16:11:25 PM »
They don't need to come up with anything good, if it has Apple on it, their fanboys will eat it up. Case and point, the iPad.

Traditional PC-fanboy argument. Where are the facts?

Offline Archeh

• .[Ak4]. Member
  • Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Not Cwunk
« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 20, 2010, 16:23:33 PM »
Killaman didn't say his post was factual, he posted his opinion on the matter and gave an  example.

I'll +1 his post.
Hi I'm Archeh I like too have fun online playing shoot-'em-up video games

Offline Alex

« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 20, 2010, 16:58:40 PM »
This is why I believe what I said.

Call me crazy if you want, but that looks like a bad deal. I don't see how I am being a fanboy when the iPad is really a very bad value, but it still sold like crazy. Explain that.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 20, 2010, 17:04:32 PM by KiLLaMaN »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 20, 2010, 17:48:57 PM »
I wouldn't trade my "old" laptop for an iPad or netbook. It's more powerful than a netbook, has more features and more upgrade-ability. I don't think Killaman is being a PC fanboy since there's really nothing PC out there as far as an iPad. It's all about practicality and there's people that look at it and think that they gotta have it since it has a partially eaten apple on it and then there's people that think, it's not right for the price.

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager