Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Why do people ask "What's my ping?" when they can see for themselves?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline The Mentalist

Why do people ask "What's my ping?" when they can see for themselves?
« on: Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:22:22 PM »
Your REAL ping is what you see on the scoreboard and with F6 or "stat net", BUT after it hits 255 it wraps around to zero and goes up again. This is due to the Original DEVs only using one byte (8 bits, up to 255 in decimal, FF in hex, 1111 1111 in binary) to hold your ping information.

Very low pings of 0-10 are practically impossible unless you are next-door to the server, or playing on a LAN. Even at a LAN party or playing head-to-head on two computers connected to each other you will have a ping around 5ms or higher.

If you don't believe me, write down the server IP and your ping, exit the game, hit Start > Run > type in "cmd" > hit enter or click OK, then type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -l 512" (replace 'x's with the server IP numbers). That will show you a more accurate representation of your ping, but you have to add ms to represent what you will see in-game with all the other factors that affect your ping.

So please, stop asking "what's my ping?"  :down:

Offline -[unR]BENDAWICH

Re: Why do people ask "What's my ping?" when they can see for themselves?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:30:54 PM »
whats my ping?

Offline The Mentalist

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:32:20 PM »
whats my ping?

And I'm sure more replies like this will follow  :beer:

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 13:56:27 PM »
There are plenty of other threads on similar topics on these forums. Don't remember where they ended up, though.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Ganja

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 14:59:10 PM »
Very low pings of 0-10 are practically impossible unless you are next-door to the server, or playing on a LAN. Even at a LAN party or playing head-to-head on two computers connected to each other you will have a ping around 5ms or higher.

Belgian players often have ping between 5-10 on english/german/dutch/french servers. I can manage to have under 10 ping on most servers and I'm on wifi :D

Btw I often see players asking for ping when they want to show the world they have high ping. It's their way of saying "look at my ping. If I don't pay well it's because of that"

Offline Bart!

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, April 09, 2015, 01:40:32 AM »
Above 250 ping your ping will go back to 0 again for your own F1 screen, so if you see somebody with more than 65 ping (as it multiplies by 4), they will not know how high their own ping is.

Offline raw

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, April 09, 2015, 02:59:19 AM »

Btw I often see players asking for ping when they want to show the world they have high ping. It's their way of saying "look at my ping. If I don't pay well it's because of that"

Indeed! If you didnt say this i would say.
Its so annoying and thats 100% what they are trying to say. 98 honor player asking whats my ping and oops..suddenly it shows 75. then hes like " see??? that's why i just died!!"
AA2  2005-2015
AA:PG 2015-

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager