Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Author Topic: Nice to be back!  (Read 3079 times)

Offline The Mentalist

Nice to be back!
« on: Saturday, February 14, 2015, 19:57:42 PM »
Hi all, I haven't played in many years. It's nice to see that this game is still alive.
In just a few days, I played for many hours, joined a clan and started hosting a server that meets my requirements for a good match.

Starting this month, I will donate 1,5$ every month for this project. I know it isn't much, but if every communitymember did it, it should be enough to keep this project alive.

I do have some suggestions that might keep it alive longer and make the game more attractive to new players:
- For AAO25.com: Add the forceclass mod so that it can be tracked. Not all server-admins will use it, but a good interaction between nice server-admins and the players on their server can provide a lot of fun.
- For server-admins: Increase the minutes per round on the servers. By decreasing it to 3-4 minutes, it's difficult for new players to complete the objective, and defence will win many times while Assault didn't eaven camp. I see many servers with 3-4 minutes on maps like SF Pipeline. Somethimes it takes a couple of minutes to get in the building ( depending on how good defence is ) and once you're in, you have only 1-2 minutes left to shut down all the valves or go to the main control panel ( wich is filled with defence campers ). I think 5 minutes is the minimum for smart tactical gameplay.
- For clans: Many clans have many servers in the same location on different maps. Doesn't it make more sence to host one 32-slot server with map voting? Think about it. The game would look less dead if it had 30 active servers instead of 100+ empty ones.

I might have been gone for a while, but I had no problem filling up my clanservers in the past.

These are just my 2 cents. It's only my opinion. Only you guys can know if makes sence what I'm saying.

I'll try to contribute in any way possible in order to keep the game alive!

Hooah!

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Nice to be back!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 14, 2015, 21:53:14 PM »
Welcome back

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 03:03:23 AM »
Welcome back! :)

I agree that sometimes minutes on servers are not the best. However, they can be too long as well. It can be really boeing if every round you have to watch the same guy on assault do nothing useful for 2 or 3 minutes.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline Bart!

« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 05:20:24 AM »
Welcome back!

To be honest, about the minutes, I tend to disagree.

What will happen by increasing minutes: is that somebody who does not know the map well, sitting at a spot doing nothing useful, will just stay 1 more minute that way, giving 1 more minute of time wasting for the rest of the team which is dead already.

I do not see how an extra minute could help inexperienced players on that map,they learn more by moving and if they die by spectating friendlies, then walking around or sitting somewhere cluelessly for another minute.

Offline Ganja

« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 07:55:06 AM »
Ye, one more belgian in the game :)

Good points you have here

Offline The Mentalist

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 09:01:16 AM »
Welcome back!

What will happen by increasing minutes: is that somebody who does not know the map well, sitting at a spot doing nothing useful, will just stay 1 more minute that way, giving 1 more minute of time wasting for the rest of the team which is dead already.

I do not see how an extra minute could help inexperienced players on that map,they learn more by moving and if they die by spectating friendlies, then walking around or sitting somewhere cluelessly for another minute.

The difficult part about AA is that you can't respawn. Every modern day popular shooter has respawning. This way you can learn fast after every mistake you make.

It's normal that new players are a little bit "scared" in this game. So was I when I started playing in march 2003. Rushing doesn't really help because AA is now filled with hardcore AA lovers that know every tactic and every good spot to wait for an enemy.

So with only 3-4 minutes on Assault, a noob must learn fast or he'll quit fast.  :P
A noob can rush and die or camp and make the most experienced players mad.

But, to put things in perspective, I doubt that there are many new players in this game.

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »
Welcome back!

Bart what ? where have you been. Do you not see 100 H players camping all day . and as long as any clock could run. Its not only noobs who hide. The worst kind are experienced noobs hiding there presious, non honour. The one who hide on mid until the game ends just incase the die. It all looks great on paper. There as good as ebay accouns.
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Lack of comprehension. Thriving on your cliche. Compelled by self-resentment
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life

Offline Ganja

« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »
But, to put things in perspective, I doubt that there are many new players in this game.

Trust me, there are.

Im thinking shorter round time might also lead to noobs (who die fast all the time) quitting much later, because they don't have to wait too long

Offline ~=W!CK!D=~

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 16:37:58 PM »
Bart what ? where have you been. Do you not see 100 H players camping all day . and as long as any clock could run. Its not only noobs who hide. The worst kind are experienced noobs hiding there presious, non honour. The one who hide on mid until the game ends just incase the die. It all looks great on paper. There as good as ebay accouns.

Very true lol

Offline -Vegeta-

• Dedicated Poster
    • View Profile
  • AA: Vegeta
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 16:47:22 PM »
Well thank you wicked common ground bro.
Words are great possed but the tune is crap. A condeming fear strikes down
Things they cannot understand. An excuse to cover up weaknesses that lie within Lies
Laying your guilt and pain. On people that had no part in the molding of a life
That creates its destruction. Lies. Right before your very eyes
A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny. Your part in the demise of a life
Reaching into the minds of those that created. The depression in which they
In which they drowned their flesh and blood. Lies. So easy to blame the
Everlasting fear on a pathetic attempt. To justify the ending of life. Lies
Right before your very eyes. A reflection of the mistakes. To the end you will deny
Your part in the demise of a life

Offline The Mentalist

« Reply #10 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 17:40:35 PM »
Trust me, there are.

Im thinking shorter round time might also lead to noobs (who die fast all the time) quitting much later, because they don't have to wait too long

You could be right about that  :D

Today I played Headquarters Raid on a 4 minute server. It's just not the same...  :cry:

Offline teddy_grizzly_bear

• Used to be known as nobody
  • Administrator
  • Epic Poster
  • what are you looking at?
    • View Profile
  • AA: teddy_grizzIy_bear
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, February 15, 2015, 17:47:33 PM »
You could be right about that  :D

Today I played Headquarters Raid on a 4 minute server. It's just not the same...  :cry:
Well, most players nowadays will not have played HQ raid within the last couple of years. So I would say way to go on that alone!

It often depends on the number of people on the server as well. For me at least. If there's more people, the back and forth usually takes more time.
<image removed due to imgur stuff - probably for the best>

"Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." Bertrand Russell

Offline [SWISS]Merlin

« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 16, 2015, 04:21:22 AM »
welcome back, every players counts, even with that nooby thoughts :D

no serious: i do try to put the servers as much as possible in different ways to figure out what would be played often and what not. with maps, different minutes, with open slots, with weapon pick, with map vote, with cycle maps, also force class - even with honors limited for prof's and beginners.

and as far as the servers are running in good conditions, no need to reduce them. i had a lot of feedback, also to put a server for every map available. but this is for sure to much :)

so enjoy the game!

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager