Forum

ASSIST, AMERICA'S ARMY COMMUNITY - RELIVE THE GLORY DAYS OF AMERICA'S ARMY 2.5

Poll

Merge "Normal" and "mAAp" modes in Assist?

Yes
1624 (83.7%)
No
316 (16.3%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Merging Normal & mAAp Modes  (Read 13064 times)

Offline elementx+

Re: Merging Normal & mAAp Modes
« Reply #45 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 04:38:52 AM »
we love the game how it is. im not against bug fixes but dont change the gameplay dramaticly. i know you guys made this assist thingy but dont do stuff that is not accepted by the majority. put a vote in assist so everyone can see it even if they are not reged here.

im really thankful coz you guys made aa come back.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 04:55:21 AM »

All the bugs that are left make the game the game we all love, change it and we are going to kill it even more like with AA3.

i honestly struggle to find a bug that made the game enjoyable or something that made it unique, lol. While i understand that sound effects and quality is a separate matter that also relies on personal taste (like, mine's is not everyone's cup of tea), performance and game client fix would really make for a better experience. I would bet there might be space for improvement even in client to server communication.   

Offline Spanky

• <?php echo $opinion .' is better.'; ?>
  • Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
  • AA: tigobitties
« Reply #47 on: Sunday, January 22, 2012, 07:17:23 AM »
As far as AA 2.5 going multi-core, Blueblaster was right. I was just told this by someone that's proficient in UScript (and Unreal games):

VendorX: For that you need source code of engine - C# not .uc
Nate: i kind of thought so. that would mean getting the unreal source from epic and that probably won't happen :)
VendorX: Nope...
It's like shaving your pubes to make your junk look bigger.
Might look bigger, but it aint.....

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 03:41:00 AM »
My replies are in red above. You guys are just so narrow minded. "It won't benefit me so it's stupid". It comes to a point where I start thinking "why even help if people are just going to bitch and moan without thinking. Why bother to improve FPS, make the maps look better, add nice features WITHOUT changing the gameplay when people like yourself are closed-minded". *shrug* I guess that's why the majority of people on AA are still on Bridge and regular Pipeline.

This is not narrow minded at all, but maybe your not explaining your reason's or the changes clear enough for us.

Simply there is no need to change based on your arguments.

I don't play bridge or pipe and I don't Bitch either you asked for comments and that's what your getting, try taking them on board so all parties can be happy.

We do not want the Game play to change and this is exactually the Narrow mindless that lead to AA3 failing, if you go ahead and changes things and this happens I will stop playing after 7 years im sure with allot of others.  It also begs the Reason why you don't look at doing the same for the latest version on V2.8.5.  Personally I think AA2.6 / 2.7 was the best version but I also like the SAI of 2.8.x.

The changes I've seen already are good to revive the game so don't take this as me not appreciating (or bitching) what is being done but there are allot of things I don't like that has been done as far as locking menu's, configs ect.  It makes it hard to change settings or servers while in game.  While I understand there is probably a  valid reason to get things to work so it must be done.  I would like things to keep the essence of the game as normal as possible.

Any one playing the game now or in the past will have the same or better equipment / connection and plays it like it is.  Do you really think a change now will get all the people on all the binned computer sent to china playing now when they didn't previously? 

The resources to play this game are really minimal.  Can anyone post and tell me who doesn't have at least the following:

512Kbps Internet Connection .
A dual core CPU or fast single core
A 256MB Graphics Card (i.e. 6600).
2GB of Ram.

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 04:01:23 AM »
The resources to play this game are really minimal.  Can anyone post and tell me who doesn't have at least the following:

2GB of Ram.

I don't have any of the that actually and I still run Windows XP SP2.

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 04:10:14 AM »
Quote from: Go_Cat75
2GB of Ram.

My first laptop (that i used until not long ago) was actually a t2400 Centrino 1.8 with 1gb of ram and a x1800 mobile, downclocked (thank you Fujitsu) at 400 mhz on the core, with 256 mb of ram. Heck it was a little beast (5 years ago). AA wasn't running that nice on it though (the very reason Skrewy wrotes about, crappy roads/things).

I don't get why the discussion went down this way, if you read through and especially first Spanky's post, it is a practical matter, not a gameplay one.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 23, 2012, 04:17:38 AM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #51 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 04:27:13 AM »
This is not narrow minded at all, but maybe your not explaining your reason's or the changes clear enough for us.

Simply there is no need to change based on your arguments.

I don't play bridge or pipe and I don't Bitch either you asked for comments and that's what your getting, try taking them on board so all parties can be happy.

We do not want the Game play to change and this is exactually the Narrow mindless that lead to AA3 failing, if you go ahead and changes things and this happens I will stop playing after 7 years im sure with allot of others.  It also begs the Reason why you don't look at doing the same for the latest version on V2.8.5.  Personally I think AA2.6 / 2.7 was the best version but I also like the SAI of 2.8.x.

Sorry, I was the one that got bitchy and irate. For me (and I know Jonny felt this in the past as well), I'll have what I think are good ideas with good intentions, I'll make a post about them and someone comes along and pretty much insults my ideas. I realize I/we can't please everybody. So, let me explain what the immediate benefits of initial merging would be:

No more moving mAAp/Normal files before starting the game, No duplicates of files (T_UI2 is an example), Trimmed down files (solely for the purpose of re-downloading), Same PB configs, Ability to improve maps (lighting, FPS, fixing any glitches, possible physics).

That's just off the top of my head. You mentioned "look at doing the same for latest version", what do you mean by that? Do you mean adding/ripping features from 2.8?

Offline Koden

• Cogito Ergo Khodohn
  • Global Moderator
  • Epic Poster
  • Hmmm rainbows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 04:58:24 AM »

That's just off the top of my head. You mentioned "look at doing the same for latest version", what do you mean by that? Do you mean adding/ripping features from 2.8?

I'd guess he might mean the SAI, for one (situational awareness indicator, army would make an acronym even for toilet paper).

Yep i remember of the Team view Nate.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 23, 2012, 05:20:50 AM by Koden »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #53 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 05:17:16 AM »
We had a crude one built for mAAp:

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 06:21:24 AM »
so what ur saying is, cos cars are faster with better suspension then 40 years ago we shouldn't worry about fixing roads, I mean who doesnt have a nice comfortable car?

I'm saying I'd rather have an Original 1975 XY Ford GT Phase III HO on crap roads in Australia than a 2012 Ford FPV GT driving on the autobahn in Germany with all the mod cons to make driving it easier..

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 06:34:05 AM »
Sorry, I was the one that got bitchy and irate. For me (and I know Jonny felt this in the past as well), I'll have what I think are good ideas with good intentions, I'll make a post about them and someone comes along and pretty much insults my ideas. I realize I/we can't please everybody. So, let me explain what the immediate benefits of initial merging would be:

No more moving mAAp/Normal files before starting the game, No duplicates of files (T_UI2 is an example), Trimmed down files (solely for the purpose of re-downloading), Same PB configs, Ability to improve maps (lighting, FPS, fixing any glitches, possible physics).

I don't try and insult anyone, but like to give my thoughts based on my experience.
You know more about the code and how it works than I do, I just don't want to see a situation where we start heading one direction that people don't like. 

If you can guarantee that then changes may be a good thing but I still can't see how I will benefit or anyone else really with most of this.

The things you talk about have already been mostly overcome by time and technology.

Now If you can make me stop lagging on oversea's servers then that would be something.

And yeah the SAI once you get used to it is better that the crappy compass.  You could have a option to have one or the other or both at the same time.  Also makes it hard for the noobs to do spam shots, one reason I don't play bridge, along with the fog that some player have little of.
« Last Edit: Monday, January 23, 2012, 06:37:18 AM by Go_Cat75 »

Offline Spanky

• Administrator
  • Posts like a Spanky!
    • View Profile
    • NatesComp.com
« Reply #56 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 06:43:56 AM »
You know more about the code and how it works than I do, I just don't want to see a situation where we start heading one direction that people don't like. 

If you can guarantee that then changes may be a good thing but I still can't see how I will benefit or anyone else really with most of this.

I realize that I can't go making changes willy-nilly and make people like them. Anything major that affects gameplay would either be an option (like mAAp TeamView) or it would be voted on.

The thing that sparked controversy was the AA3 gun sounds. I think that would be cool as they're probably recorded with better equipment and they're probably just better sounds all around. The problem is matching the reload sound to the reload animation. Things like this would make changing sounds impractical. Combine that with users not wanting it and it means that it won't happen.

I know you say that things have been overcome by time and technology but that's not always true. Skrewy has capped internet and if he needs to re-download, having less stuff to re-download is worthwhile to him. Also, if we were to "pimp" maps with lighting and effects (snow on bridge?), it would use more CPU and video memory. Since AA uses a single-core, we have to balance that stuff.

Anyway, bottom line is, I have plenty of work in mAAp and trying to get physics working that the benefits of merging right now aren't as high priority as a new mAAp release. I have plenty of other things to do than to mess with gameplay and piss users off :)

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 06:56:14 AM »
lol Major..

We all want similar things and all are making good points.

If I was younger, had time and spankys enthusiasm  I would be trying to do the same thing.

Surely there is always a roll back.

Might even make all my old Pentium worth something again.. :)

Think i've been swung..

Offline BlueBlaster

• Epic Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 06:59:56 AM »
Now If you can make me stop lagging on oversea's servers then that would be something.

To do that you have to take a time machine back to 1980 and change the internet as it was emerging.

Offline Go_Cat75

• Hospital GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday, January 23, 2012, 07:07:29 AM »
To do that you have to take a time machine back to 1980 and change the internet as it was emerging.

Who's up for a challenge then..

Download Assist

Download Game Client

Important: Battletracker no longer exists. However, old Battletracker accounts may still work. You can create a new 25Assist account here

Download Server Manager